Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgayman

Thread: Grease x730 front wheels?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks

Grease x730 front wheels?

The front tires on my x730 with ~900 hours were done, so I took the wheels off yesterday & had new tires mounted. I noticed that there are no zerks on these wheels. It seems like the “axle” the wheels mount to ought to be lubricated occasionally, though. Should I just apply a light coating of grease or is there some reason that’s a bad idea? JD manual under “service lubrication” does not indicate this area for lubrication.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    There are no zerks because the wheels have sealed wheel bearings. The inner part of the wheel bearing slips over the spindle shaft. No lubrication is needed because nothing is rubbing. There certainly wouldn't be any harm in applying a very light coating of grease to prevent corrosion and allow the wheels to slide off easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X730_spindle.jpg   X730_bearing.jpg  
    North585 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    I go with light grease myself. A zero would be easier to use a lot of grease often, it really only needs a wipe every few years and it only takes a couple minutes with a floor jack and an organized tool box.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements