I am about to buy a new X700 series garden tractor, but a bit confused with various pieces of advice.... Torn between X739 and X758....
I was hell bent on the X758 as I am a big diesel fan, but 2 local dealers are telling me the X758's "pitfalls" are:
- Loud at idle (apparently way louder then the gas version when just idling)
- If stored in an attached garage, the diesel "fumes" are a problem and annoying
- Sometimes hard to start in extreme cold (we do easily get to -35 F here....)
- They also tell me the X739 and X758 have similar torque figures - which I have a hard time believing, but cannot verify as I cannot find data about it anywhere....
Anyway, I would primarily use it for mowing my acreage lot, and plow snow as I have a substantial driveway.
I need some unbiased (not sales talk LOL) advice please...
1) For adding the 54" snow blower - would the X739 be any worse off (power/torque wise) than the X758?
2) Does the new X758 diesel smoke a lot? Can't say I have read about it anywhere.... specially if parked in an attached garage?
3) Would you suggest the 54" mower deck or the 60" mower deck? I don't mind paying the few hundred extra $, if it's "as good" or worth it...
4) Is the 4 wheel steering worth giving up to get into the diesel instead? I don't mind the higher fuel consumption of the gasser too much.
Thanks for taking the time to help a noob.