Some questions on X739 vs X758....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Some questions on X739 vs X758....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

Some questions on X739 vs X758....

Hi all

I am about to buy a new X700 series garden tractor, but a bit confused with various pieces of advice.... Torn between X739 and X758....

I was hell bent on the X758 as I am a big diesel fan, but 2 local dealers are telling me the X758's "pitfalls" are:
    - Loud at idle (apparently way louder then the gas version when just idling)
    - If stored in an attached garage, the diesel "fumes" are a problem and annoying
    - Sometimes hard to start in extreme cold (we do easily get to -35 F here....)
    - They also tell me the X739 and X758 have similar torque figures - which I have a hard time believing, but cannot verify as I cannot find data about it anywhere....

Anyway, I would primarily use it for mowing my acreage lot, and plow snow as I have a substantial driveway.

I need some unbiased (not sales talk LOL) advice please...

1) For adding the 54" snow blower - would the X739 be any worse off (power/torque wise) than the X758?
    2) Does the new X758 diesel smoke a lot? Can't say I have read about it anywhere.... specially if parked in an attached garage?
    3) Would you suggest the 54" mower deck or the 60" mower deck? I don't mind paying the few hundred extra $, if it's "as good" or worth it...
    4) Is the 4 wheel steering worth giving up to get into the diesel instead? I don't mind the higher fuel consumption of the gasser too much.

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob.
    Yank likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalstar66 View Post
    Hi all

I am about to buy a new X700 series garden tractor, but a bit confused with various pieces of advice.... Torn between X739 and X758....

I was hell bent on the X758 as I am a big diesel fan, but 2 local dealers are telling me the X758's "pitfalls" are:
    - If stored in an attached garage, the diesel "fumes" are a problem and annoying
    - They also tell me the X739 and X758 have similar torque figures - which I have a hard time believing, but cannot verify as I cannot find data about it anywhere....

Anyway, I would primarily use it for mowing my acreage lot, and plow snow as I have a substantial driveway.

I need some unbiased (not sales talk LOL) advice please...

1) For adding the 54" snow blower - would the X739 be any worse off (power/torque wise) than the X758?
    2) Does the new X758 diesel smoke a lot? Can't say I have read about it anywhere.... specially if parked in an attached garage?
    3) Would you suggest the 54" mower deck or the 60" mower deck? I don't mind paying the few hundred extra $, if it's "as good" or worth it...
    4) Is the 4 wheel steering worth giving up to get into the diesel instead? I don't mind the higher fuel consumption of the gasser too much.

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob.

I will give you what I know. I just got a 758 a couple of weeks ago. When I first crank the engine, I get one puff of smoke. That’s it. Half a second. No smoke after that. As far as diesel fumes, it’s just going to depend on you. Some people don’t mind smelling diesels. Some do. I love the smell of diesel in the morning. Smells like victory. I love my 60 inch deck, sticks out enough on the side to get under bushes and up next to structures. Once leveled, it cuts beautifully. Just remember, with large mowing decks, you have to get them leveled correctly. The torque on this thing is incredible. It will start the deck spinning from idle. Never, and I mean never, bogs down. Goes thru my field with 12 inch grass with no problems.
    DRobinson and Firewood Bandit like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72” rear blade
    Frontier 60” box blade
    Frontier 65” tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60” landplane
    Frontier 42” pallet forks
    Frontier 72” RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOH’s bucket hooks
    2017 X580
    Model 80 trailer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks
    How long is the unit actually at idle? Mine is usually at WOT.
    I find the CO from a gas engine way more sickening than diesel fumes.
    I cranked my diesel off at -20 this past winter with 15W40, would highly recommend 10W30 or 5W40 syn for those low temps. Also a block heater is probably a good idea for either unit.
    I also have a hard time believing this, I'll have to look into it.

No way would I recoment the 54 on a gasser, only a 47.
    I don't think the Yanmar TNM diesel's smoke much at all, by no means like a 71 series Detroit.
    54 will cut better, 60 will cut more faster. Depends on your lawn and obstacles.
    I'm not a fan of 4 wheel steer. You could always find a X749 and have the best of both worlds.
    Yank and Dr Kubar like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    I'm new here and don't even own a John Deere as of now. however I have a bunch that I know what the guys here will say... and that's to go with diesel and the X758 if price isn't an issue. on top of that, since your thinking of a 60" deck you will also get 1025r recommendations. on top of that, the 4 wheel steer is loved by some while others don't care much for it.
    first, you've already admitted to be a diesel fanatic.
    second, you're concerned with having enough torque and power.
    I'm sure someone with experience with these machines will chime in with their firsthand knowledge... in the meantime I'm going to ask what's your property look like in terms of slope and obstacles. also, since you're wanting to snowblow is there also any kind of rear attachment tasks or front end loaders type tasks that you would like to do?
    Last edited by tab665; 09-11-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Yank likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    well it looks like the replies came in while I was typing mine up.
    Last edited by tab665; 09-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    Yank likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tab665 For This Useful Post:

Henderson (09-12-2019)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like dealer has an X739 on his lot he wants to sell

What is similar is Horsepower and peak torque numbers - of course where a diesel shines is torque across the entire spectrum ( diesel shines in low RPM environment) and much more fuel efficient as well as engine life. Where this comes into play, say you are snow blowing a heavy snow fall ; the gas version may start to bog down, while the Diesel just chews thru it. Keep in mind 24 or 25 HP is 24 or 25 HP no matter how much torque you have, the K92 uses a good chunk of that available HP up in just moving the heavy tractor- so the extra torque diesel provides at low RPM can really come into play. But yes the torque numbers are similar on 24hp diesel and 25 hp gas engines

As for the 4 wheel steer- what is your property like? 700 series tractors are not the most maneuverable, 4 wheel steer really minimizes that shortfall. If you have a lot of trees, flower boxes, sharply curved sidewalks and or other obstacles to go around, AWS is a nice option to have. If you have a wide open lot with little maneuvering I wouldn’t worry about AWS- and while I can’t say for sure, I would think the diesel will run a 54 inch snow blower more effectively than a gas engine

In the end both are tremendous tractors- go with whatever one fits your needs best!!
    Dr Kubar likes this.
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    You can't look at the max output torque numbers of a gasoline engine and a diesel engine and say they are equal. The torque curves of both engines are significantly different. The gas engine develops the lions share of its torque close to max RPM. The diesel engine has far more available torque at lower rpms. The my engine "never bog down" statements you always here from the diesel folks is because the torque band of the diesel is better suited to handle heavy use conditions where the engine RPM gets slowed by changing loads. Where you will see this most is with use of a snow blower in deep/wet snow, or in very tall and thick grass. The diesel will get the job done faster than a gas engine.

The Kawasaki engine is absolutely capable of powering an x7 machine, and it does so with ease. There is plenty of power available from the EFI engine and it will be easier to start in the cold weather. I've never once used my x738 and thought to myself why oh why did I get this gasoline version when there is a diesel engine out there. The gas engine is very quiet at idle. I never put it next to a diesel version to compare the two, but I would imagine the diesel is noticeably louder. At max RPM the engine is noisy enough but not overly so. A large part of the noise comes from the Cooling fan which is belt driven.

Engine exhaust from either engine will be annoying in an attached garage. Why are you idling the tractor inside a garage anyway? Park the tractor so the exhaust faces the door and open the door before you start the thing to let the exhaust out then drive it on out of the garage. Let it idle to warm up outside.

Either tractor will handle the 60HC or 54HC deck just fine. The 60 is great if you have doors big enough to drive through with it. The 54 is only a couple inches wider than the rear wheels with the deflector chute flipped up or taken off. It makes mowing in tight areas easier and it also makes it very easy to get on and off the tractor as the deck isn't as in the way. Both mower decks are very high quality heavily built decks that will give a beautiful cut (IMO). If you have room for the 60 get the 60. The 54 will be less prone to scalp if you have lots of hills.

Personally I have no use for the 4 wheel steer. Lots of people love it and it has proven itself over decades of use to be solidly built with few mechanical issues. If you have a lot of tight turns and complicated landscaping to mow around than the 4 wheel steer is worth it. The 2 wheel steer x7's are extremely nimble for a tractor its size. 4 wheel steer is wasted on large open lawns and may actually make it harder to mow straight lines.

Fuel consumption on the gas engine really isn't that bad. On average I'm right around 1 gallon per hour. In heavy mowing conditions its a bit more. Driving around and using the box blade ripping up dirt it's less. Is it more volume per hour used than a diesel engine? Sure it is but there are fundamental laws of thermodynamics to thank for that.
    FortClatsop likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExperimentalMechanic View Post
    How long is the unit actually at idle? Mine is usually at WOT.
    I find the CO from a gas engine way more sickening than diesel fumes.
    I cranked my diesel off at -20 this past winter with 15W40, would highly recommend 10W30 or 5W40 syn for those low temps. Also a block heater is probably a good idea for either unit.
    I also have a hard time believing this, I'll have to look into it.

No way would I recoment the 54 on a gasser, only a 47.
    I don't think the Yanmar TNM diesel's smoke much at all, by no means like a 71 series Detroit.
    54 will cut better, 60 will cut more faster. Depends on your lawn and obstacles.
    I'm not a fan of 4 wheel steer. You could always find a X749 and have the best of both worlds.
    I second this as well. BTW a puff of smoke at startup is it. I too love diesel but I rarely smell it when idling in my garage as she comes up to temp before plowing.

If I could do it again I'd get a 60" deck. My last house wouldn't allow for it so I have the 54" deck. Keep the diesel on a battery tender in the winter and keep antigel in the fuel, it will be fine.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    I use my x758 to clear a small residential snow route. It has to start. I keep it in an unheated garage and I will typically plug in the coolant heater for 30 minutes or so before starting. Without the heater I find very cold (-10 and below starts) to be difficult. They often require multiple glow plug cycles and several attempts. With the coolant heater its just like any other time starting it.

I get one puff of smoke each time I start the tractor. I don't know why but its always one little puff. In the bitter cold the exhaust will discharge some soot until the motor is warm. Anything stored in front of the exhaust will get some soot on it.

The gas kawi motors are more quiet at idle, I don't know why anyone would care about that.

I think a gas Kawi would be at a disadvantage compared to a yanmar with a 54" blower. As others have stated the diesel makes more torque across the rpm band. What that converts over to is when you stuff it into a snowbank and load up the motor it has the torque to power through it instead of falling on its face like a gasser will. I will say I think the 47" is a good fit for the x700 tractors and in heavy snow even the yanmar will have its hands full with either blower. You cannot compare the x758 to 1025r performance (if you are watching youtube vids) because the 1025/2025 use a larger 1.37l engine vs the 1l in the x758.

Fuel consumption is not something to take lightly. Everyone says its not a problem until your constantly lugging gas cans. Snow especially will use a lot of fuel and a gasser will use lots more than the yanmar trying to move the weight. Find some off road and you can burn less of a less costly fuel and make your money back over time.

The obvious upside to the x739 is the maneuverability. If you absolutely NEED the maneuverability then its hard to ignore the option.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I use my x758 to clear a small residential snow route. It has to start. I keep it in an unheated garage and I will typically plug in the coolant heater for 30 minutes or so before starting. Without the heater I find very cold (-10 and below starts) to be difficult. They often require multiple glow plug cycles and several attempts. With the coolant heater its just like any other time starting it.

I get one puff of smoke each time I start the tractor. I don't know why but its always one little puff. In the bitter cold the exhaust will discharge some soot until the motor is warm. Anything stored in front of the exhaust will get some soot on it.

The gas kawi motors are more quiet at idle, I don't know why anyone would care about that.

I think a gas Kawi would be at a disadvantage compared to a yanmar with a 54" blower. As others have stated the diesel makes more torque across the rpm band. What that converts over to is when you stuff it into a snowbank and load up the motor it has the torque to power through it instead of falling on its face like a gasser will. I will say I think the 47" is a good fit for the x700 tractors and in heavy snow even the yanmar will have its hands full with either blower. You cannot compare the x758 to 1025r performance (if you are watching youtube vids) because the 1025/2025 use a larger 1.37l engine vs the 1l in the x758.

Fuel consumption is not something to take lightly. Everyone says its not a problem until your constantly lugging gas cans. Snow especially will use a lot of fuel and a gasser will use lots more than the yanmar trying to move the weight. Find some off road and you can burn less of a less costly fuel and make your money back over time.

The obvious upside to the x739 is the maneuverability. If you absolutely NEED the maneuverability then its hard to ignore the option.
    This brought up a question for me -

If the tractor is going to be used for snow removal I doubt the all wheel steer could be fitted with chains.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast