445 Died while cutting and won't restart.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bloodrunsgreen
  • 1 Post By martincom
  • 1 Post By terrapin

Thread: 445 Died while cutting and won't restart.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Thanks

445 Died while cutting and won't restart.

My 445 cut out and died on my while cutting. Essentially like someone turned the key off. I have power to basically everything but the ignition is seems. The safety switches work and have been tested, fuel pump etc all getting power. The green light is lit on the panel as well. All fuses are good and I swapped in new ones just to check

Last night I started tracing all the wires and also cleaned the battery terminals and chassis ground and still nothing. The battery is fully charged and tests out at correct voltage

I am leaning towards this being the pricey ignition module, but not sure how to check that. The one relay under the dash that seems to distribute power when the key is on also appears to function ok.

Any insight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    My 445 cut out and died on my while cutting. Essentially like someone turned the key off. I have power to basically everything but the ignition is seems. The safety switches work and have been tested, fuel pump etc all getting power. The green light is lit on the panel as well. All fuses are good and I swapped in new ones just to check

Last night I started tracing all the wires and also cleaned the battery terminals and chassis ground and still nothing. The battery is fully charged and tests out at correct voltage

I am leaning towards this being the pricey ignition module, but not sure how to check that. The one relay under the dash that seems to distribute power when the key is on also appears to function ok.

Any insight?
    I had a similar problem with mine last year or the year before. I eliminated everything that I could, swallowed hard and wrote a check. The module fixed it.

Someone may have a way to check it with a multi-meter.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    Since this is the 445 with EFI, all engine functions (sensors, injection, engine timing and spark control) are controlled by the Fuel Injection module. However the module is powered by a safety ignition relay which breaks the ground on the FI module for the spark plug coils.

Do you have the TM for that model tractor?
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 09-11-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Thanks
    You can download the Technical Manual (TM) here. It'll have troubleshooting flow chart to guide your diagnostic testing.
    DRobinson likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsgreen View Post
    Since this is the 445 with EFI, all engine functions (sensors, injection, engine timing and spark control) are controlled by the Fuel Injection module. However the module is powered by a safety ignition relay which breaks the ground on the FI module for the spark plug coils.

Do you have the TM for that model tractor?
    Thanks for the help, let me dig through the manual to follow to test routes

Which relay would be the one that breaks the ground on the module?
    DRobinson likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    It is labeled K4 on the schematic/diagram. Not sure, There are two relays mounted on the safety interlock circuit board and a couple that are mounted to pedestal side rail behind the board. So you will have to do some tracing via the diagram and those items (Fuel injection module, safety interlock board, separate mounted relays).
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; Today at 08:36 AM.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements