Dash Cluster Resolder
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Dash Cluster Resolder

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Dash Cluster Resolder

    My X595 started out fuel gauge not working and temp working, after reading post I pulled cluster and resoldered all connections on the board. I reinstalled the cluster started it up gauges moved then when I turn on PTO they peg turn PTO off go back to normal, I was doing some probing around and found this odd thing happening with the ignition on turn on lights all lights work on the dash cluster the gauge back lights come on but when I start the engine with lights on the gauge back lights go out and gauges peg but if I push the yellow service reset button the gauges and lights will work correctly until I release the yellow button and they peg. Any ideas would be appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,276
    Thanks
    1,534
    Thanked 607 Times in 533 Posts
    Sounds like a bad ground.
    WAG when you press the yellow button, it provides a different ground, so gauges work until you release it.
    SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  4. Top | #3
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,240
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 244 Times in 202 Posts
    If you remember in your previous post I mentioned the two things I did.

    Resoldier all the pins but I also ran a new ground wire and spliced it into the ground on the wiring harness side of the connector of the dash.

    There is a known issue with a flaky ground that can be caused by either a bad ground connection on the harness or a soldier joint failing.

    Also I would say that I noticed the gauges pegging out more often with the lights on than with them off. Not that I mow a lot in the dark but I pretty much have my lights on all the time. You turn them on when you are doing something in the dark and don't notice they are on in the day light. On a few times that I did shut them off as a test before fixing this, they would peg out more with the lights on.

    I did say I wasn't sure which fixed my issue. I did see evidence of cracked soldier joints but I did both at the same time so it could have been either that did the trick for me.
    Last edited by sennister; 09-13-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    glc, DRobinson, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Randog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    It appears that several different issues can give the same bad results.

    Sennister, if you notice your solder joints have very little solder on the pad and pin. Compare it to the picture of mine, which from the factory has way more solder. I think they may have seen the pin breaking loose and made a change in the manufacturing process.

    That was a good move towards a solution but as with mine, the vibration just cracked the pin-solder pad away from the trace. Still the same vibration and it found the next weakest spot.

    The pins in the connectors and associated wire can break or corrode leading to the same problems. I tried to snap a picture of the connector but it's tough. I can see green corrosion on a couple pins, so I imagine the socket side looks the same. (My spare cluster)

    I have moonlighted doing automotive work my entire life. We use some stuff from a company called Wurth. This is a spray can of cleaner that was specially designed to remove oxidation from connectors. Works awesome. Very expensive. The pins and sockets look clean as new. My go-to spray on trailer light issues.


    https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...L/p/0890101101

    Unfortunately the only way to verify a good ground for the cluster is by taking the back off, and with an ohmmeter check the continuity of the ground pin back to the battery (-). This is looking at every connection in the gauge ground circuit. I have seen circuits test good with the ohmmeter and fall on their face when you put an amp of current on them.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190916_072810 (2).jpg  
    sennister likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

  7. Top | #5
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,240
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 244 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    It appears that several different issues can give the same bad results.

    Sennister, if you notice your solder joints have very little solder on the pad and pin. Compare it to the picture of mine, which from the factory has way more solder. I think they may have seen the pin breaking loose and made a change in the manufacturing process.

    That was a good move towards a solution but as with mine, the vibration just cracked the pin-solder pad away from the trace. Still the same vibration and it found the next weakest spot.

    The pins in the connectors and associated wire can break or corrode leading to the same problems. I tried to snap a picture of the connector but it's tough. I can see green corrosion on a couple pins, so I imagine the socket side looks the same. (My spare cluster)

    I have moonlighted doing automotive work my entire life. We use some stuff from a company called Wurth. This is a spray can of cleaner that was specially designed to remove oxidation from connectors. Works awesome. Very expensive. The pins and sockets look clean as new. My go-to spray on trailer light issues.


    https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...L/p/0890101101

    Unfortunately the only way to verify a good ground for the cluster is by taking the back off, and with an ohmmeter check the continuity of the ground pin back to the battery (-). This is looking at every connection in the gauge ground circuit. I have seen circuits test good with the ohmmeter and fall on their face when you put an amp of current on them.

    Since you have a spare cluster do you remember which pin is ground? I want to say it was one of the corners but I don't recall. I still want to make a quick article on this issue.

    I agree that they have made some changes to the clusters over the years. Mine is a 2002 (I think) whatever the first year was for the X585. We see that quite often with other stuff where they find issues getting reported back and they tweak the process a bit to correct only to move the point of failure. I did notice in your original photo that the trace had lifted. I thought maybe you applied too much heat when resoldiering and that may have lifted the trace. I have done that in the past before I got a digital soldier station where I can control the heat on my iron. This repair can be done with a cheap iron, just have to becareful.

    Probably not as good as your Wurth but I have used the CRC version with good success.

    Amazon.com: CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner -11 Wt Oz: Automotive


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  8. Top | #6
    George of Buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:25 PM
    Location
    GA.
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Pin 20 is ground. Pin 17 is battery. Pin 2 is the temp gauge. Pin 8 is the fuel gauge.

    Looking at the connector with the latch on the left side:

    The left row is pins 1-10 bottom up.
    The right row is pins 11-20 bottom up.

    I have made a complete diagram of all of the pins functions. I had to repair a couple of my clusters.

    George of Buford
    glc likes this.
    JUST JOHN DEERE

    X595 with 62C deck
    X595 with Buford Bucket
    X740 with 62C deck
    2210 with Buford Bucket
    TS Gator

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George of Buford For This Useful Post:

    glc (09-17-2019), Randog (09-17-2019)

  10. Top | #7
    Randog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Since you have a spare cluster do you remember which pin is ground? I want to say it was one of the corners but I don't recall. I still want to make a quick article on this issue.

    I agree that they have made some changes to the clusters over the years. Mine is a 2002 (I think) whatever the first year was for the X585. We see that quite often with other stuff where they find issues getting reported back and they tweak the process a bit to correct only to move the point of failure. I did notice in your original photo that the trace had lifted. I thought maybe you applied too much heat when resoldiering and that may have lifted the trace. I have done that in the past before I got a digital soldier station where I can control the heat on my iron. This repair can be done with a cheap iron, just have to becareful.

    Probably not as good as your Wurth but I have used the CRC version with good success.

    Amazon.com: CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner -11 Wt Oz: Automotive
    I have used the CRC and keep it on hand. The reason the Wurth is so expensive is, it will chews off the green corrosion and leave the aluminum clean and protected.

    The ground pin is the top right pin in my image.

    Waiting to see your write up!
    glc and sennister like this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

  11. Top | #8
    George of Buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:25 PM
    Location
    GA.
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Here is an Excel table of the pin functions for X475-X595 clusters.

    X595 Instrument Cluster Wiring.xlsx

    George of Buford
    glc, sennister and Randog like this.
    JUST JOHN DEERE

    X595 with 62C deck
    X595 with Buford Bucket
    X740 with 62C deck
    2210 with Buford Bucket
    TS Gator

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George of Buford For This Useful Post:

    glc (09-17-2019), sennister (09-16-2019)

  13. Top | #9
    sennister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,240
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 244 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randog View Post
    I have used the CRC and keep it on hand. The reason the Wurth is so expensive is, it will chews off the green corrosion and leave the aluminum clean and protected.

    The ground pin is the top right pin in my image.

    Waiting to see your write up!
    Yeah, like I said not as good as the Wurth.

    I wonder if the right answer following a repair is some better vibration isolation. Though now that my X585 lives a life of FEL and plowing, the vibrations probably are not as bad as they were when it was used for mowing.

    I will get on that write up. Between getting the kids back into the swing of going to school, then getting sick from the other kids then getting Dad (me) sick so I was home from work for a couple days sleeping. Now backlog of work at work and not to mention a garage build. Isn't there a way to fit 26 hrs in a day somehow?
    Last edited by sennister; 09-16-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    glc likes this.


    JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

    JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

  14. Top | #10
    Randog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    After seeing Georges post I got a bit confused and pulled the ohmmeter back out, and the wiring diagram.
    Apparently my broken trace had nothing to do with my repair. Must have been the resolder of one of the other joints.(#20) That or it will rear it's head again some day.


    The wiring changed to the gauge cluster pre S/N 30000. Looks as though they did away with the service reminder after S/N 30001. Also some parking brake light circuit? Didn't know they where different clusters?


    George is the dashman!


    As for vibration, I thought about a gob of silicone to take up any slack at or near the connector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190916_112741 (2).jpg   20190916_112715 (2).jpg  
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •