• 1 Post By jjoyce1
  • 4 Post By jjoyce1

Thread: Question about D125 steering issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-24-2019 @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks

Question about D125 steering issue

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I have a D125 riding mower with only about 70 hours on it. Won't turn right, sector plate pops, but will turn left just fine. I'm just not sure if a worn sector plate and/or pinion gear is the culprit. When I turn left, the sector plate seems to ride up the pinion gear and get a good bite. When I put the wheel to the right, the opposite happens, seems like the sector plate drops down the pinion and loses good bite. There's a whole lot of untouched pinion length as well that I wish I could put to use. I'm wondering if the geometry/setup of the whole system is correct, before I send it in for service. I don't have the means to fix myself. Below is a quick 30 second video of how the sector plate behaves when turning left vs. right while stopped.

https://youtu.be/39jORpUdCdA

If the answer is take it in for new pinion/plate, fine so be it, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something more obvious and/or inexpensive.

JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Welcome. The video is very helpful. It doesn't seem like the sector plate should have that much up-down play. Is it possible the retaining bolt/nut is loose? I've highlighted the suspect bolt/nut below. I would also check bolt #22.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D125_STEER.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

jjoyce1 (09-16-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I have a D160. Slightly different machine but same steering setup.

Just went out and looked and while my plate has some up/down movement, it isn't anywhere near as much as you have. The wear line on my pinion gear is very distinct line about 1/8" wide and about 1/2" up the pinion gear from the bottom. My plate moves maybe 1/4" up and down.

I'd check bolt #23 (and the associated nut) in the diagram jgayman posted. If that's loose it will allow your plate to toggle up/down as your's is doing. (Bolt #22 only serves as a guide)
    Last edited by JimR; 09-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

jjoyce1 (09-16-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Replace steering sector plate, pinion gear and 23,24,25. That should cure it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    glc likes this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Replace steering sector plate, pinion gear and 23,24,25. That should cure it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    So no chance any of the bolts are loose? 70 hours seems a bit low to be having to replace $83 worth of steering gears.

At 70 hrs I would imagine it is still under warranty.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

jjoyce1 (09-17-2019)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    So no chance any of the bolts are loose? 70 hours seems a bit low to be having to replace $83 worth of steering gears.

At 70 hrs I would imagine it is still under warranty.
    I had done a precursory check of the various bolts that hold up the sector plate, but I'll have to check again per your suggestion. As I think about it, I think I did hit a fence post hard while in a sharp right turn (accidentally), this is why I was thinking some of the geometry or alignment of the plate became out of adjustment vs. simple wear and tear on the pinion/plate teeth. I'll ensure all bolts are tight as best I can. The warranty ended at the earlier of 24 months or 120 hours, and I got it 30 months ago :-(

JAJ
    glc likes this.

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Bingo!!! Finally got out to mow today, but first tried to tighten the bolts in question as suggested. It's a little tricky tightening bolt 23 while holding nut 11, but I managed to tighten it maybe a half turn in total, and that was apparently enough since the sector plate no longer flops up and down quite as as dramatically. So it was apparently a geometry issue, as I did a complete mow of 15,000sqft with no steering issues at all. I appreciate the advice given here, as it saved me a lot of $$$ plus unplanned downtime on the machine right when the lawn is growing like crazy.

So thanks again to those users who recommended to tighten the bolts along with the helpful diagrams.

JAJ
    Lees Summit, MO
    jgayman, JimR, WifeSaidOK and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements