Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: John Deere X585

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

John Deere X585

I own a 2016 X570 48” mower, blower and bagger with 70 hours. I just found an X585 54” deck, 47” blower bagger and cab with 710 hours but not sure what it’s worth. I don’t need both but like the 4x4 on the 585. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have thought about buying the 585 and selling my 570.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a similar x585 with blower and cab with a few less hours.
    2002 John Deere X585 Lawn and Garden - Breckenridge, Minnesota | Machinery Pete

Here is another one with no cab but has the blower and similar hours.
    2003 John Deere X585 Lawn and Garden - Turtle Lake, Wisconsin | Machinery Pete

In good clean shape, and in good running mechanical condition the x585 you are looking at is worth between 6-8k depending on location and market. With the attachments you listed in good working order as well. The x585 is the predecessor to todays x738. They are very capable machines.
    Randog and Rcook99 like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Thanks
    I have a X585. As mentioned it's closest relative would be the X738. The difference being it is select 4wd vs AWD. There are pros and cons to that. Personally with the FEL I would rather be able to lock into 4wd than hope it kicks into AWD. If you have ever gone down a hill in a 2WD tractor with a bit too much of a load you would understand why I make that statement.

Another pro over the X570 is you are getting into shaft driven attachments. I am pretty sure the X570 has the belt driven PTO. The shaft driven ones are easier to hook up and remove. However I don't think the driveover deck that the newer X7xx had was ever an option. That would be even better. You might loose out on a little maneuverability around trees when mowing. Probably your only downside.

The 4wd with HDAP tires is all you need in snow. I don't bother with chains at all. That gets back into the shaft drive, with the mower you will still have the belts going from the gear box to the spindles on the deck itself but there are no belts on the blower. Also changing back and forth between front blade and blower is a snap. A couple hydraulic lines and the shaft. The only thing you need to stock for spares is a few sheer pins.

I would say the biggest issue with them is some of the earlier ones particularly had dash cluster issues. There is a known issue where vibration can cause the soldier joints to fail and they didn't use a good source for the ground. Clusters are crazy expensive but I was able to fix mine. The failure will typically show up where when running the PTO, the temp and sometimes the fuel gauge will peg out. Headlight use can also cause or make it appear more often with the PTO. So take if for a test drive and see if you have that issue. It can be addressed but maybe you can talk them down a bit on the price if it is present. I think it was resolved with the later versions. It is kind of hard to tell the year and I don't know the SN ranges where it was an issue. Mine is one from the first year they were made so it is an early one.

Other than that I had the fuel pump fall off the end of the fuel line. People here diagnosed it pretty quick so it must have happened to others. My backup switch failed. That sucked for a while because the PTO wouldn't work. Once I traced it back to the failed switch, I bypassed it because I hate the where you have to hold up on the PTO switch to back up because of "safety". No way I was spending $40 to fix something I hated. I also had an issue where the wiring harness rubbed on the lift point for the engine. This wore through the insulation on one of the fuel injectors. That caused a short which blew the EFI fuse when I would hit a bump. I don't blame that on Deere. I blame that one on crappy work by an even crappier now ex-dealer when they "tried" to diagnose the above mentioned dash cluster issue and broke more than they fixed and tried to blame it on me. They improperly routed the harness and didn't secure it right. I repaired the wiring and added wiring loom for the engine part of the harness to better protect it and have had no issues since.

Overall it a great machines. I have had a few small issues over the years all of which I fixed. One way or another. I am coming up on 1300 hrs on mine though it doesn't see the use it once did as I have retired it from mowing duties. It is used for FEL work all spring/summer/fall and snow clearing in the winter. I now change oil based on the calendar vs hrs.
    Zebrafive, Randog and Rcook99 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Here is another one with no cab but has the blower and similar hours.
    2003 John Deere X585 Lawn and Garden - Turtle Lake, Wisconsin | Machinery Pete

In good clean shape, and in good running mechanical condition the x585 you are looking at is worth between 6-8k depending on location and market. With the attachments you listed in good working order as well. The x585 is the predecessor to todays x738. They are very capable machines.
    I spoke to my new dealer (part of the chain you mentioned in this link) I think they said they would give me around $7k on trade for my X585.

I have a few more attachments like the blade and FEL but no cab. I also have the 3pt hitch but no rear PTO. He recommended putting it on Craigslist for $10K and I would probably get in the $8-9k range or he thought around there. While my hours are a bit higher, I also have a FEL which can be desirable.
    Randog and Rcook99 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Thanks
    The next series after the X585 was the X728. It had manual 4 wheel drive 2006-2008. In 2009 they went to HFWD.

Looked for a pre 2009 X728 or X738 for a few years and couldn't justify the used cost. Eventually I stumbled across my X595. (Diesel version of the X585).

This series is substantially heavier than your X570 (1000# tractor alone VS 600# for the x570) so if you have some wet areas, you may need the 4 wheel drive.

I would think $7000.00-7500.00 for the package would be what I would want to pay. What it's worth is subjective.
    Rcook99 likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I have a X585. As mentioned it's closest relative would be the X738. The difference being it is select 4wd vs AWD. There are pros and cons to that. Personally with the FEL I would rather be able to lock into 4wd than hope it kicks into AWD.

Another pro over the X570 is you are getting into shaft driven attachments. I am pretty sure the X570 has the belt driven PTO. The shaft driven ones are easier to hook up and remove. However I don't think the driveover deck that the newer X7xx had was ever an option. That would be even better. You might lose out on a little maneuverability around trees when mowing. Probably your only downside.

The 4wd with HDAP tires is all you need in snow. I don't bother with chains at all. That gets back into the shaft drive, with the mower you will still have the belts going from the gear box to the spindles on the deck itself but there are no belts on the blower. Also changing back and forth between front blade and blower is a snap. A couple hydraulic lines and the shaft. The only thing you need to stock for spares is a few sheer pins.

I would say the biggest issue with them is some of the earlier ones particularly had dash cluster issues.

Other than that I had the fuel pump fall off the end of the fuel line. People here diagnosed it pretty quick so it must have happened to others. My backup switch failed.

Overall it a great machines. I have had a few small issues over the years all of which I fixed. One way or another.
    Ditto for me. I have a 2002. Bought 3 years ago with 560 hours and am now at 760. I had the gas line problem ($10) and the switch for my backup lights went out ($13). I also had the fuel level sensor face and because the fuel pump and sensor are only sold as one unit now, that was a $325 fix. Beyond that I have no real complaints and love its versatility. Agreed, that with HDAP tires and the 4WD I don't need chains in winter even when my well pitched driveway has been a bit on the icy side.
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Ditto for me. I have a 2002. Bought 3 years ago with 560 hours and am now at 760. I had the gas line problem ($10) and the switch for my backup lights went out ($13). I also had the fuel level sensor face and because the fuel pump and sensor are only sold as one unit now, that was a $325 fix. Beyond that I have no real complaints and love its versatility. Agreed, that with HDAP tires and the 4WD I don't need chains in winter even when my well pitched driveway has been a bit on the icy side.
    Heh, the other half of the backup switch failed on me. That switch has two parts. Normally closed and normally open. So at rest (reverse not pressed) the normally closed side has continuity so that the PTO safety circuit knows the reverse pedal isn't pressed. Because this side failed on mine, my PTO was dead. I was still using it for mowing so that was an issue. The normally open side still worked. That is the side that is one the backup light circuit. That is what threw me off a bit at first trying to trace down my issue as my backup lights worked fine. I initially thought my PTO clutch was bad but it tested good.

About the fuel pump. Sounds like you had the float side fail on yours so you were kind of stuck on options. It sucks that it is a full assembly but should your pump ever fail. While JD doesn't sell it, it is a very common fuel pump from a lot of cars out there. When I was fixing my pump which fell off the fuel line, I compared the pump to a spare I had for one of my motorcycles and saw it is the same. Like with JD they only sell it as an assembly with the float however people figured out that the same pump is used in many cars and cost $40-60. Wouldn't have helped you with the float but if anyone ever has a pump failure, don't buy the assembly.

The one thing to watch because you have an early model like mine is that dash. If you get the issue of the temp gauge pegging out, first make sure all your screen and radiator are clear and you are not actually overheating. Most likely it is a ground failure to the cluster. Someone looked up the dash the other day and I want to say they are asking a little over $1000 for them now. I have seen them on eBay for $200-300 in the past though. The issue can be fixed though and several of us have done the repair.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcook99 View Post
    I own a 2016 X570 48” mower, blower and bagger with 70 hours. I just found an X585 54” deck, 47” blower bagger and cab with 710 hours but not sure what it’s worth. I don’t need both but like the 4x4 on the 585. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have thought about buying the 585 and selling my 570.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently traded my X580 for an X738. The difference is night and day and I'll go as far as to say the X738 is 10 times the tractor my 580 was. The full time 4x4 is outstanding and works without any issues. I had issues with turns on the hills in my front 1/2 acre when mowing with the 580. No more issues with the 738. And, if you've not owned a tractor with hydraulics you're in for a treat. Go for the 585, or even better, go with the JD 0% interest deal and drive a new tractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0073.JPG   DSC_0083.JPG  
    TJR345 and so.fulton like this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    The X585 is one awesome machine. Find a good one and don't let go!
    2002 X585, 54C Deck, 46Blower, 45 FEL, Triple Bagger, Plugger, Thatcher, Spreader, 1965 Massey 220 with FEL and Backhoe, 1971 Gilson 15 HP S Frame

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks

John Deere X585

I have a X595 great machine I just wish it had the 3pt hitch and PTO, does anyone have idea what it would cost to add this. Trying to decide should I sell and get something withe the PTO and 3pt hitch already on it mine has 600 hrs.
    TJR345 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast