Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: x-series diesel lawn mowers overheating

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

x-series diesel lawn mowers overheating

This is a last resort: I bought an X-758 4WD diesel mower 4 years ago at the end of the mowing season. No problems with the first 1-2 times I used it. In the spring I started mowing but the motor would overheat and shut down the cutting deck.

Short story is, 5-6 trips to the dealer,over the years a few attempts with sensors and a baffle plate added to the deck, and this mower consistently overheats. I have left it at the dealer for months with no results. You cannot mow for more than about an hour with this unit without waiting 20-30 minutes for it to cool down.

The selling dealer is not interested. The service department doesn't know what to do, but they did admit to me that LOTS of owners of these are having the same problem.

This mower is officially out of warranty but I have been complaining about this since I had about 5 hours on it.

I have been demanding my money back for this useless mower about since I bought it. Over $12,000 for a mower that does not work.

Sorry to rant but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING further I can do about this? Thanks!!
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    I found and posted the CEO of John Deere's email address for another issue. Here it is again. Take your time and write a good email. Let him know the product you bought is unsatisfactory and that you cannot in good faith purchase any more John Deere products nor recommend them. I got a call the next day or so later.......You'll get a regional Customer Service person who should be able to drive this to resolution one way or the other.

[email protected]
    Toughsox likes this.
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    I found and posted the CEO of John Deere's email address for another issue. Here it is again. Take your time and write a good email. Let him know the product you bought is unsatisfactory and that you cannot in good faith purchase any more John Deere products nor recommend them. I got a call the next day or so later.......You'll get a regional Customer Service person who should be able to drive this to resolution one way or the other.

[email protected]
    MANY thanks for this!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknoblock View Post
    This is a last resort: I bought an X-758 4WD diesel mower 4 years ago at the end of the mowing season. No problems with the first 1-2 times I used it. In the spring I started mowing but the motor would overheat and shut down the cutting deck.

Short story is, 5-6 trips to the dealer,over the years a few attempts with sensors and a baffle plate added to the deck, and this mower consistently overheats. I have left it at the dealer for months with no results. You cannot mow for more than about an hour with this unit without waiting 20-30 minutes for it to cool down.

The selling dealer is not interested. The service department doesn't know what to do, but they did admit to me that LOTS of owners of these are having the same problem.

This mower is officially out of warranty but I have been complaining about this since I had about 5 hours on it.

I have been demanding my money back for this useless mower about since I bought it. Over $12,000 for a mower that does not work.

Sorry to rant but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING further I can do about this? Thanks!!

Really hate to hear this , sounds like you've had this problem since new... Shame your dealer won't help you,,So just wondering has the radiator ever been replaced.

Knowing from using the x590 and now x738 I take the Stihl blower and clean the radiator after every mowing. When I use the blower it is from engine bay toward the driver seat.

When Harley had his x590 it would overheat , , well temp gauge would show it was overheating. One time it showed it was overheating , removed the radiator cap and I put my finger down in the antifreeze, did not burn my finger.

The x590 had an issue with the dash circuit board ,,, wonder .
    BigJim55 and KHodges like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    I’ve had my x758 for 5 years and put around 296 hours on it. I’ve never had it over heat. I’ve blown some pretty nasty stuff out of the screen and radiator when I noticed the temp running a little warmer than normal. At 4 years you are now out of warranty. Are you mechanically inclined? Remove the thermostat and test it. A metal can,thermometer and heat source are all you need. Sounds to me like it’s stuck closed. If I get a chance I will search the new version of Deere DTAC and see if there’s any solutions posted. I seem to recall seeing a update program for the dash but if your dealer is just a lawn and garden place they may not have a datalink for Service Advisor to download such stuff
    Toughsox likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    Another thought. Are you unknowingly overloading the engine because it is running a the correct speed? I found the throttle cable was out of adjustment on mine when it was new and wouldn’t pull the lever on the pump all the way to the factory preset stop. Adjusting and checking the speed with a photo tach made a huge power difference with my 54 inch blower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    I've noticed that when I mow and there is a lot of old dried grass, mine tends to over heat. I pull the radiator
    screen, clean it, start the engine and in about 1 minute the temp is coming down. Make sure the screen by the radiator is kept clean. Also as stated before, run full throttle for mowing. Also make sure the anti-freeze is at the correct level.
    If all that is good and your dealer is baffled, it is time for the Regional manager to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and Toughsox like this.
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks
    I don't know what state your in but NY has a lemon law. Several attempts to fix and nothing sounds like a case to me.
    What did they do. A bad batch of thermostats or even put in upside down during assembly could be the problem.
    Last edited by TJR345; 11-07-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Toughsox likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer.2012 View Post
    I've noticed that when I mow and there is a lot of old dried grass, mine tends to over heat. I pull the radiator
    screen, clean it, start the engine and in about 1 minute the temp is coming down. Make sure the screen by the radiator is kept clean. Also as stated before, run full throttle for mowing. Also make sure the anti-freeze is at the correct level.
    If all that is good and your dealer is baffled, it is time for the Regional manager to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Agree with gas or diesel and Run at full throttle. If you are mowing at half or 3/4 it will probably overheat.
    coaltrain and Toughsox like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks

X758 Chaff Blocking Radiator

I mow several acres every other week and had no problem until late September. By then the grass was dry and a lot of left over cuttings blown up by the mower. On a windy day it all came right back at me and blocked the outer screen and the inner one too. Since a lot of the mowing in on a side hill I watch where I am going not the OP panel. It shut down frequently on me. I found that mowing too high(~4") let's too much chaff blow out the left front and right back into the radiator. So this late in the year I would only mow after a rain or early when there was still some dew left to keep the chaff down.
    During the green grass growing season there was no problem.
    etcallhome and Toughsox like this.
    TIM
    2018 X758
    2005 KUBOTA B7610: LA352 Loader,PAT'S Quick Change, 5' Front Blade, 5' Rear Blade, 5' Meteor 3pt. Blower, 6" Auger, Wallenstein BX42 Chipper, Titan Ballast Box
    2015 KUBOTA KX018: Thumb + 9", 18" & 24" Buckets
    2017 KUBOTA RTV500
    2006 Kawasaki 650i ATV

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast