Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: X720 Reviews/concerns/etc.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks

X720 Reviews/concerns/etc.

My local dealer has a 2006 X720 with 1055 hours on the lot. It has the 62 inch deck and it's has the "Special Edition" label on the rear of the fender deck. No 3 point. Overall it's in fair to good shape. Starts right up with a bit of blue smoke which instantly goes away. Drives good, differential lock works as it should, pto works, etc. The one thing was when I first lift and lowered the deck there was some noise, but it only did it on the first go through. I don't like where the battery is located, which is a big negative for me, but I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get to.

He also has a 2004 Cub Cadet 5252E with 60 inch deck, 3 point hitch, with 227 hours. For those who aren't familiar with that model, it's a pretty big garden tractor, maybe a bit heavier than the X720. It has a 25 hp Kohler Command air cooled engine, 2 speed hydrostatic transmission, rear pto, rops, hydraulic lift, power steering, car size battery (which is easy to get to). It looks to be in decent shape, though I question the hours due to the front tire wear (the dealer put a new tire on the left front because the old one wouldn't hold air).

Both of these are the same price, so in all honestly, price isn't what I'm considering. I'm just want to see what other X720 owners think of it, itself, and what issues they have had, etc. I really don't need either one, and that's the option I probably will go in, but I do like the size of both machines and it would be nice to have another mowing machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThumbnailHandler (1).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (2).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (3).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (4).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler.jpeg  

Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Pictures of the aforementioned X720.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThumbnailHandler (5).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (6).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (7).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (8).jpeg   ThumbnailHandler (9).jpeg  

Olympian Don Kardong

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2010 X720 and love it. The battery location does stink but taking the hood off (easy no tools required) let's you get at it really easy.

I hardwired a battery tender cable to the battery and ran the cable to the side of the tractor where the oil fill dipstick is. This way I can hook up my battery tender really easy and not mess with the hood.

IMHO, I would keep looking for a X720 with lower hours. Good luck with the decision! 👍

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    My only concern with the cub cadet is parts availability.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    My only concern with the cub cadet is parts availability.
    I went to the CC website parts page and plugged the model # in, it came back with no hits. Did you run the Cub any? Ride around on it turn the deck on and off, operate the lifts, etc.? My question about it would be why it was traded with such low time on it, especially at its age (15 years). You wouldn't think it had been used commercially, though. Do you need the rear PTO or lift? You mention you don't really need either tractor, but it would be nice to have another mower.

The X720 looks pretty good in the pictures, can't see any fine detail. The SE model should also have a brush guard in addition to the nice seat, front fenders and "spoked" wheels. It's nice to have, and when mounted, folds over if you need to open the hood. It's certainly been used, but the time only comes out to about 80 hrs./year. I averaged 120 on my X748, and engine types notwithstanding, the mechanicals worked perfectly after 11 years (mine was a 2008). A small puff of smoke that immediately disappears after starting is probably a start-up enrichment. The Kawasaki engine is pretty stout and trouble free if properly maintained.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    My herd:
    2009 2520 FEL, 62D2 deck and various implements
    2002 GT235 46C deck
    1986 214 46" deck
    1986 212 38" deck
    1984 318 50" deck
    2008 X748SE gone but not forgotten

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Thanks
    The Cub 5252E is Cub Cadets first entry Into the Sub Compact Market. They Made one 2WD Model That came standard with a 60inch deck. They were decent enough Machines. They were Loader Capable. They Just were Not Big sellers You Can still get Parts for them from Your Local Cub Cadet dealer. I don't Know about attachments such as a Loader They Might have a loader sitting in a MTD warehouse. I know Original Cab still make a Cab for them. The 3point is a Limited Cat 1 as Far as it only lifts 680Lbs at 24inches

All that X720 is a X485 with Different Decals & That one Just has the fenders the SE seat and Brush-guard and the styled rims so It is slightly Different From the Later X720's as The Hydraulic cylinder is In the Middle like the Previous X400 series so In order to Put a 3point Hitch on it You will not have to relocated the Hydraulic cylinder Like You Have to do On 2008 and Later Models Almost all Current X700 signature series Attachment will fit On it Including the Mowing decks as long as the Deck are set Up without auto Connect. So attachment wise the X720 is Probably a Better Buy. If You want to Put wheel weights on it you need to Buy the adapter ring Kit. It goes On the Back side of the rims and Provides Hole for Mounting the weights Threaded Rods

X485/X720 was one of the Best Garden tractors I owned Very Capable Machine
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    T-Mo, the SE seat makes this a no brainer!
    KHodges likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,507 Posts
    The ROPS on the Cub for a mowing machine is a big detraction. Plus, it doesn't fold so what you see is what you get. Not too many lawns with trees around here where the ROPS would clear the lower limbs and the first time you forget, its a very "strong" reminder when the ROPS catches a solid limb........

I think its interesting the two machines with such different hours are the same asking price. The Deere has 4X the hours on it, I assure you if the Deere was low hours like the Cub Cadet and the Cub was at 1,000 plus hours, the price differential would be much greater..........

Go Deere.......
    glc and KHodges like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    I know the dealership your looking at. I deal with them over at Ste. Gen. I'd go with the Deere. A lot more of them around than the Cub your looking at would making finding parts down the road easier. . Of course you got Fleigs out there, so you could get parts for the Cub ok I guess. Did you check all the Nobbe locations to see what esle they have? They will bring one from another location if you see one you like.
    glc likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. I have been dealing with this dealer for years and have bought several tractors/equipment/parts from them. They know me by name, so they treat me well. I even thad them move other tractors from one of their other dealerships to this one so I could look the tractor over. I bought a LT150 for my son-in-law this way. William Nobbe has dealerships in Missouri and Illinois both.

The ROPS on the Cub isn't foldable which makes them useless in my opinion. As mentioned, getting under trees would be a problem. The ROPS is removable by removing 4 bolts on each side. Not very convenient. There is a dealer decal from Virginia, so it's not a local tractor and so I don't think the dealer has a history on it. Having the 3 point would be nice to have and would let me pick up a couple of implements for it. I do have some concerns about the hours - as if the hour meter isn't working or wasn't working in the past. I drove the tractor around, used the differential lock, engage and disengage the deck, etc. It ran good and seem to drive good. I did not put it in the low range though.

The X720 has this dealer's decal on it, so I'm sure I can get some history from it from the main salesman. Scott probably sold it to the original owner. It ran good, smooth, and I also engage and disengage the deck. I'm not crazy about the location of the battery - a major issue for me. May not be a show stopper, but still.... My wife likes the Deere better as it drives about the same as her X320 does, just a bit bigger. If I buy it, I may have them put a new battery in it and then put a battery tender on it as mentioned above.

It's really becomes more of a question of whether or not I'm willing to purchase either one of them since I'm don't really need either of them.
    glc, rydplrs, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    Olympian Don Kardong

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast