100 Series snow blowers

Thread: 100 Series snow blowers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

100 Series snow blowers

I have an L130 mower presently that a friend of mine is interested in purchasing. He may need to add the snowblower to this unit so, not wanting to mislead him how well do these snowblowers work?

His property to use this on has a level driveway and he is located near Durango CO. I am here at his places this week taking a break myself.:biggrin:

I should post that he isn't interested in beiing a tractor owner yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-12-2011 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    The neighbor has one. Its a single stage and it works OK. He weights up the rear and adds chains. I have seen him move a ton of snow and he never complains. As with any snow blower, speed can kill it, but he chugs along pretty good.
    John Wayne, Jonny Cash & John Deere

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Thanks
    Given how much snow Durango can get, I find it hard to fathom a blower on a L-130 is going to be able to handle the job. Maybe if it was used for plowing downtown sidewalks, I could see it. I also can't imagine having that much weight hanging off the front end of a lawn tractor without power steering.

I put two suitcase weights on the back of my L-130 in an effort to lighten the front end for mowing. My poor man's power steering helps a bit; but not as much as I would like.

I think your friend needs to consider a properly equipped 'X' series at a bare minimum, even if he doesn't want to just yet.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-30-2014 @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks
    What does he use to clear snow out with now?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I have a snow blower for my JD 318 (18 HP gas). Between the weight of the blower and the weight of the adapter/lift cylinder, it sticks way out in front of the tractor. I had to put a weight bracket on the back (6 x 40 #s) and must run chains to use the blower. I also have two 75# wheel weights on the rear wheels. So it all comes down to 2WD and getting the traction to use the blower. I've used my blower 3 times in 10 years, but the 1st time was a record 23" for this area in 2000. Bought the blower 3 months before the snow. Dealer says if I ever decide to buy a boat could I please let him know so he can start heading to high ground.

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    What does he use to clear snow out with now?
    He hasn't visited the property during the winter yet, bought the property last November. He plans to the L130 for mowing and I metioned this forum and said that I would find out if the blower was feasible.

Rather than trade in my L130 I am planning to sell it outright and replace it with an X749 before the end of October. This would help us both, he gets a good deal on a used mower and I get a new one.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eepete View Post
    I have a snow blower for my JD 318 (18 HP gas). Between the weight of the blower and the weight of the adapter/lift cylinder, it sticks way out in front of the tractor. I had to put a weight bracket on the back (6 x 40 #s) and must run chains to use the blower. I also have two 75# wheel weights on the rear wheels. So it all comes down to 2WD and getting the traction to use the blower. I've used my blower 3 times in 10 years, but the 1st time was a record 23" for this area in 2000. Bought the blower 3 months before the snow. Dealer says if I ever decide to buy a boat could I please let him know so he can start heading to high ground.

Pete

Pete,
    I suspect your 318 is better suited to a blower than the L130 is. From what all of you are saying it seems to be more weight than I expected. Still my friend was thinking a plow for his Jeep or an old pickup/plow, I mentioned that a blower would work better for the heavier snowfall. I heard to expect approximately 75 inches in an average year.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    I heard to expect approximately 75 inches in an average year.
    That sounds about right. At least he isn't on Wolf Creek Pass where 12' or more in a season is common.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    That sounds about right. At least he isn't on Wolf Creek Pass where 12' or more in a season is common.
    No kidding! I try to avoid getting out in heavy snows if possible since in my line of work it makes all of it a PITA. All my trucks are 4x4 and have four chains each, my thought is to use the chains to get home with. I do run furnace and heating calls in the snow when necessary but for the most part I use this time to catch up on indoor projects. Ruidoso while it is a ski town generally has only light snows from 3 to 8 inches. These are much easier to deal with.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements