Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By techie1961

Thread: 425 is just tormenting me.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-07-2016 @ 08:40 PM
    Thanks

425 is just tormenting me.

So, First I had the ignition delay problem, replaced the delay unit, and it ran great for a couple of weeks. then the plastic timing gear failed, but the teeth did not break, the rivets holding it to the shaft broke. Fixed that, and it ran great for a day but started vibrating. It actually sheared the muffler studs and cracked the muffler pipes on both sides. I finally found that the rubber U-joint to the hydraulic pump was split, which was probably my fault during engine remounting. So I fixed all that, and it will not start. Now I found the right side coil is broken. I have a new coil on the way. My current issue is carb adjustment. It will go full throttle, but when I bring the lever back down, the throttle stays high, with the butterfly open. I think I am missing something, because I cannot see any mechanism to bring the throttle down. When the lever is pulled down, the tension on the spring between the governor arm and the throttle arm drops, but there does not seem tyo be anything pulling the butterfly closed. There is a spring on the throttle linkage, but it does not appear to do anything. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-28-2016 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    There are a few springs on the carb. This was mine when I did the engine on it a while back.

Lorne
    My century barn redo

1999 John Deere 455 AWS
    1997 John Deere 455 AWS
    2001 John Deere 445 AWS
    1994 John Deere 425 (Sold)
    60" mower, 60" mower, 60" mower with JD Mulch Kit, 54" Mower, MC519 and Powerflow, 47" Snow Blower, 54" blade with bucket add-on (Plucket), 54" blade, 54" blade, 51" Broom, and garden cart
    John Deere 314 Sold
    Grew up with a John Deere 140 and all the goodies

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

torment

Thanks Lorne, this is pretty much what I have. One spring for the choke, One spring from the throttle lever to the governor, which opens the throttle, and one spring on the control rod between the governor and the carb, which apparently does not do anything. Is there maybe an internal spring on the governor to bring it back to idle? I am not sure how the governor works.
    T

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    So i got everything running real well. I mowed most of the property, then let my son do his part ( the level part). He hit a rock. A big, ornamental rock about two feet wide and one foot tall. I had ti help him get it off of there. I could not see any damage, and all three blades seemed ok, so I let him finish and park the mower. This morning, I see that some fluid has leaked from the rear hydro unit. I guess it got smacked by the rock. Tomorrow I will powerwash that part, and see if I can find the leak
    Any advice appreciated.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-28-2016 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toadboy65 View Post
    So i got everything running real well. I mowed most of the property, then let my son do his part ( the level part). He hit a rock. A big, ornamental rock about two feet wide and one foot tall. I had ti help him get it off of there. I could not see any damage, and all three blades seemed ok, so I let him finish and park the mower. This morning, I see that some fluid has leaked from the rear hydro unit. I guess it got smacked by the rock. Tomorrow I will powerwash that part, and see if I can find the leak
    Any advice appreciated.
    Once you get her cleaned up, let us know what you find. FYI, there isn't an internal spring on the governor.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Lorne
    My century barn redo

1999 John Deere 455 AWS
    1997 John Deere 455 AWS
    2001 John Deere 445 AWS
    1994 John Deere 425 (Sold)
    60" mower, 60" mower, 60" mower with JD Mulch Kit, 54" Mower, MC519 and Powerflow, 47" Snow Blower, 54" blade with bucket add-on (Plucket), 54" blade, 54" blade, 51" Broom, and garden cart
    John Deere 314 Sold
    Grew up with a John Deere 140 and all the goodies

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, to continue the saga. When I sorted out the blown, shorted coil, and replaced the plugs, the governor seems to work fine, when the engine is running well. I tore much of the rear structure down to find the transmission leak, and I think I found it in the differential lock piston gasket, which had come out. So I pressure washed and degreased everything. As a real bonus, I found a five gallon can of JD oil that my Dad had left there from one of the big tractors. If the floor is dry tomorrow, The leak will be fixed, and I guess the mower will be as good mechanically as it ever has been. I will probably make some heavy brush guard type bumpers for it, as the plastic body does take some good hits when the kids are mowing. We have hydraulic pipe bending gear for up to 6 inch pipe. That will give me some practice to put brush guards and winch mounts on my new Mercedes ML55.
    So, any advice would be appreciated.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Pictures of your brush guard would be great to see. I have been looking for ideas of one. I glad that things are coming together on your 425.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements