54 inch mower deck installation help needed on x729
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 54 inch mower deck installation help needed on x729

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2015 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Hopkinton
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    54 inch mower deck installation help needed on x729

    I took the deck off to install a mulch kit and am having trouble connecting the PTO shaft. Anybody have any good tips on the install process?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,386
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwillads View Post
    I took the deck off to install a mulch kit and am having trouble connecting the PTO shaft. Anybody have any good tips on the install process?
    Is drive over deck auto connect or the old standard where you get down on one knee and slide pto shaft on to tractor.


    If it is old type , may need to turn the PTO from mower just a little to connect on to tractor..

    Also if this hasn't been off for a while, maybe spray a little Wd40 or some type lube to let PTO shaft slide on the shaft.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 08-14-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2015 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Hopkinton
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Is drive over deck auto connect or the old standard where you get down on one knee and slide pto shaft on to tractor.


    If it is old type , may need to turn the PTO from mower just a little to connect on to tractor..

    Also if this hasn't been off for a while, maybe spray a little Wd40 or some type lube to let PTO shaft slide on the shaft.
    Old style deck. I have turned, put on some grease and still can't get the darn thing on. I will try again tomorrow.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    BWG56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 03:50 PM
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Pull the sleeve back on the coupler and it should click open, then line up the splines and it should click on

  7. Top | #5
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,386
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG56 View Post
    Pull the sleeve back on the coupler and it should click open, then line up the splines and it should click on
    That was going to be my next post ,,,Thanks,, As the young kids say LIKE , 99% of the time the sleeve stays back when you remove the coupler..

    Like good post...
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2015 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Hopkinton
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    That was going to be my next post ,,,Thanks,, As the young kids say LIKE , 99% of the time the sleeve stays back when you remove the coupler..

    Like good post...
    I will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

  9. Top | #7
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,386
    Thanks
    3,263
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwillads View Post
    I will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
    Good to hear ,,let us know if that doesn't work and Thanks to BWG56 for his major answer..
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2015 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Hopkinton
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Good to hear ,,let us know if that doesn't work and Thanks to BWG56 for his major answer..
    Success!! Pulled coupler back. Sprayed spindles with Teflon lubricant, layed on my back on left side of tractor with feet to the rear, with the right hand, I aligned the PTO shaft and with the left I pulled the deck belt to rotate the PTO shaft. Once aligned it clicked on. One other hint is they hydrolic lift arms will stay up even if you think you are lowering them. Pull them down with your hand.

    Thanks for your help guys.
    etcallhome and Jeff R. like this.

  11. Top | #9
    Zebrafive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Location
    South West Michigan
    Posts
    7,194
    Thanks
    1,523
    Thanked 599 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwillads View Post
    Success!! Pulled coupler back. Sprayed spindles with Teflon lubricant, layed on my back on left side of tractor with feet to the rear, with the right hand, I aligned the PTO shaft and with the left I pulled the deck belt to rotate the PTO shaft. Once aligned it clicked on. One other hint is they hydrolic lift arms will stay up even if you think you are lowering them. Pull them down with your hand.

    Thanks for your help guys.
    This sounds like a PITA to install. Is this what I am in for if I buy a used X4x5 series?
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2015 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Hopkinton
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    This sounds like a PITA to install. Is this what I am in for if I buy a used X4x5 series?
    So I installed it and my mulch kit was rattling so I had to take ithe deck off and tighten some screws. The second time installing the deck took me less than five minutes. Believe me, I was kicking myself for not buying a tractor with the auto connect but after the second time it was a breeze.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •