Not much info on the 285? Or am I in the wrong section? Service manual available?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Not much info on the 285? Or am I in the wrong section? Service manual available?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-24-2016 @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks

Not much info on the 285? Or am I in the wrong section? Service manual available?

Hello to this wonderful forum. I have a JD 285 and I can't find much service info about it on any forums at all. I figured this would be the section on this forum for that series, please point me in the correct direction if I'm wrong. I'm also looking for a service manual or owners manual for that matter, and I know the owners is only about $10 on EPAY but the service is quite a bit more. Is there any other place I can find a service manual for this thing?

I've had numerous issues (mostly non starting) with this lawn tractor since acquiring it about 6 months or so ago and the frustration never ends. A service manual will be my first step in being able to tackle the issues that pop up and the preventative measures I need to take as well.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2018 @ 10:31 AM
    Thanks
    The 285 is most likely a newer "lawn" tractor . You'll get more responses in that section .

You could try Davenporttractor in , believe it or not , Davenport IA for a service manual .
    Big Trees likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dd57chevy View Post
    The 285 is most likely a newer "lawn" tractor . You'll get more responses in that section .

You could try Davenporttractor in , believe it or not , Davenport IA for a service manual .
    57 Chevy, thank you very much for the response and pointing me in the direction to not only the correct section but also to that website. I didn't know about that site, thank you.

I thought I was in the right section but I'll try over in the newer lawn tractor section. Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    No worries. I'll move the thread for you.
    Big Trees likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 285, bought new in 1989. Mine is the carbed version not EFI. Hit 1000 hours this year. When mine has had starting issues it's been fuel related. Something is plugging fuel line/pick up in the fuel tank. Back blowing the fuel line with compressed air fixes it for a few months. Too lazy to pull and clean the fuel tank.
    Big Trees likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    I have the service manual in pdf format. Pm me your email address. It's a large file, so you need to be sure your email can handle up to 25mb. Gmail can and it's free, if your's won't handle a file that large.
    Big Trees likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    dieselshadow, thank you for moving my thread. I swore I was in the right section lol.

zebrafive, thank you for the response and I will blow out my fuel lines, I have not done that yet. Part of my problem is probably that I don't have a manual and don't know the correct way to operate it. I haven't been running the throttle all of the way open and after doing some reading today I found on the 345 manual it recommends running with it open all of the time. Things like that I'll learn when I get a manual in my possession. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

T Mo, you are sincerely appreciated. I sent you a pm. You doing that will save me so much in headaches and money. I can not thank you enough!!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have another question, if you all don't mind helping me out. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, we moved to the country a year ago and it's been a whole different world to me. Working on our own equipment has been one thing I've picked up but I don't know much so please forgive me on that.

My question is about the pto clutch on this 285. Recently I noticed a "rattling" noise and I investigated, I noticed it was coming from the pto clutch. I'm not sure if I can tighten something or if I need to replace it. The following picture has a green circle around the part that is vibrating. Can anybody tell me how I can fix that? Replace totally?

Thank you in advance!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Big Tree, the rattle may be from the air gap being too wide. Once you get the service manual, you can and should make the adjustment described. Not hard to do, basically, using a feeler gage and tightening the self locking nuts with the springs under them so the gap is correct and equal all around. You can do this with the deck and deck belt removed, clutch still on the tractor.

Another rattle could come from the clearance between the slotted hole in the base of your sample clutch picture. There is a rod welded to the frame that serves as an anchor to keep the coil from rotating. It will always rattle a bit when the engine is shut down. It must have some clearance at this point to avoid binding of the bearings within the clutch. This type "floats on the crankshaft vs. the type that bolts the coil part to the engine block.

Watch out for excess wear though. Here is a pic of a 320 that has worn the rod severely. Note the half way through cut about 1/2" from the bottom of the rod (anchor). If it had broken, the coil would have spun with the armature and ripped the wires out of the coil. A 320 is the same as a 285 except it has hydraulic lift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic016.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	50885

tommyhawk
    Big Trees likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-20-2015)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    Big Tree, the rattle may be from the air gap being too wide. Once you get the service manual, you can and should make the adjustment described. Not hard to do, basically, using a feeler gage and tightening the self locking nuts with the springs under them so the gap is correct and equal all around. You can do this with the deck and deck belt removed, clutch still on the tractor.

Another rattle could come from the clearance between the slotted hole in the base of your sample clutch picture. There is a rod welded to the frame that serves as an anchor to keep the coil from rotating. It will always rattle a bit when the engine is shut down. It must have some clearance at this point to avoid binding of the bearings within the clutch. This type "floats on the crankshaft vs. the type that bolts the coil part to the engine block.

Watch out for excess wear though. Here is a pic of a 320 that has worn the rod severely. Note the half way through cut about 1/2" from the bottom of the rod (anchor). If it had broken, the coil would have spun with the armature and ripped the wires out of the coil. A 320 is the same as a 285 except it has hydraulic lift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic016.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	50885

tommyhawk
    tommyhawk, thank you very much for the response and the excellent explanation. I thought about tightening the screws that you speak of with the "air gap" but I didn't want to do something that would further complicate my problem.

I think the 2nd scenario you listed might be my issue. With the tractor RUNNING I get down and look at the pto and you can see it vibrating back and forth. When I shut it off and mimic the movement with my hand it makes the same sound and it's coming from welded rod that goes through the hole that you spoke of in your 2nd paragraph. You say that it is supposed to rattle a bit when it's shut down. If mine rattles while it's running, is that something I should be concerned about? Is there any way to quiet the rattle or should I just leave it alone? I understand the suggestions you would give are only to the best of your ability without being able to see it. Thanks to T MO I now have the manual and I looked at the small section where it discusses tightening up the nuts with a feeler gauge. It just doesn't go into detail about the noise.

I am very grateful for this forum and you fine folks willing to help out. I sincerely thank you guys!!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast