LA105 quit while running

Thread: LA105 quit while running

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2011 @ 12:02 AM
    Thanks

LA105 quit while running

Hi,

Have an LA105 that I purchased new about 3 and a half years ago years ago. I have never had trouble starting it or running. Yesterday I was mowing some higher stuff out back and it just quit on me. I disengaged the blades and it restarted. When blades were re-engaged it stopped. I was able to start again and drove it without the blades engaged about 150 yards back by the house so I could check it over.

After letting it set for a few hours, I went out to start and it would not start at all. It turned over fine, but no fire. Twice I have gone out to try to start and get a brief start -- I mean 1 second brief and then nothing. I put some fuel in the carb intake and it wants to run so I assume it is not getting fuel. Pulled the fuel hose off the carb and turned over and fuel was being pumped out of the hose so I presume the fuel pump is working ok.

It has plenty of gas -- probably about an inch or less below the top of the sight window. I took the gas cap off to see if it looked plugged and lightly screwed back on in case it was becoming an issue. Seems by taking it off and putting back on, the mower should at least start and then eventually stall if it was plugged.

I know there is a solenoid on the bottom of the carb that I assume controls whether fuel goes into the carb or not, but no idea what energizes it -- safety switches?

I am aware of the safety switch under the seat. Are there others? Also, how does the safety switch work? Is it linked to that solenoid? Does the switch make a connection or break a ground when you sit down?

I am familiar with meters and engines and such, but have never had to deal with safety switches on a mower. Also, I do not have a wiring diagram to show what the safety switches do or what they are attached to.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    This should help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l105.JPG  
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Kevin.

I went back out earlier and when I checked the fuel pump, etc. I tapped on the solenoid, checked the wires from it and the switch that goes to the PTO lever for the blades. When I tried to start, the battery was so low from my earlier attempts that it barely cranked. Charged it up and went back out just a few minutes ago and it fired right up -- started blades and all. Who knows. Was getting near dusk when I looked at earlier, so maybe I have a melted or worn wire insulation some where.

I certainly appreciate the schematic. I have no doubt it will be useful in the future as I tend to keep things for a LONG time. LOL

I glanced over the schematic and it looks like all switches lead to a latch relay that appears to control the fuel shutoff solenoid. How often does that thing go bad or does it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mark,
    The fuel shut off solenoid is pretty reliable (not infallible). The problem is usually in the control circuit, somewhere. Have you confirmed that your charging system is working?

sent from my cell via tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Kevin

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I did not put a meter on it to check the charge, but I mowed about an acre and a half today without any problem. Apart from thinking maybe the solenoid might be going bad, I figure that maybe when I moved the wires around and checked the plugs on the seat switch and the PTO switch, I may have "fixed" it. Might have been a piece of dirt or maybe I have a bare wire somewhere that started touching and moving them around took care of it so to speak -- for now anyway.

I do know that I found the plug to the headlights had come undone when it originally stalled out and one or both of those wires appeared to be melted somewhat and touching, but it still would not start after fixing that. Is the operation of that solenoid really sensitive to the charge on the battery? It was turning over fine but not starting until after I charged an obviously run-down battery after turning it over so much trying to start.

If it quits again, at least I have the schematic you sent to trace down the correct wires and determine the cause. Based on the fact that it originally quit while the blades were engaged and stalled twice more when engaging the blades, I am guessing it has to do with that switch or the wires leading to or from it.

If it happens again and I can track down the actual problem, I will re-post.

Thanks gain for your help. I really hate just replacing parts...that schematic will be a great help in the future and I am sure will be a great help to others here with the same or similar model.

What voltage is it supposed to charge at?

Thanks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mark,
    The melted headlight wire is likely due to It's proximity to the exhaust. Especially, if it gets disconnected. Your battery voltage should be about 12.5 vdc with the engine off. With the engine running, you should read between 13.5 and 15 vdc.

sent from my cell via tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Kevin

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-10-2012 @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks

So mine quit running the same way, and after seeing the solenoid not work on its own

I replaced it with an M8 x 1.0 bolt & washer. Now I have a dangling disconnected wire and it still won't start. I've got it on the charger now, waiting...

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-14-2013 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

Angry Replaced Fuel Filleter

My LA105 stopped running. It will crank and turn over, but it seems like it is getting no fuel.

I did change the fuel filter. When I crank it, I don't see any fuel pumping into the Fuel Filter. I don't know if it could be the fuel pump? I was going to change that, but don't know what it looks like.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Lana

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-05-2015 @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks

LA 105 Starting Issues

My LA105 has been hard to start lately. I have replaced the fuel filter and spark plug. When the mower is hard to start, I remove the fuel line to the carburetor, crank the engine, and it starts. When I reattach the fuel line the engine starts running rough, surges. runs fast then acts like it's fuel deprived then fast again. When I tried starting is with the fuel line attached, fuel gurgles through the air filter vent and runs out the exhaust. I was thinking maybe the needle is damaged in the carburetor and its not properly controlling the fuel flow

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements