JD425 with FD620d engine help

Thread: JD425 with FD620d engine help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-30-2015 @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

JD425 with FD620d engine help

I am in need of help with someone familiar with the Kawasaki FD620D 20HP liquid-cooled engine. When mowing last week I noticed oil coming out from the left side panel of my 1996 425 AWS. I removed the left panel and noted that the rubber plug on the oil fill tube had blown off. I was told it probably was a faulty engine breather. The engine runs beautiful without any exhaust smoke. I made a test with the engine running and the dipstick removed and there was more blow by at the dipstick tube than the rubber tube coming from the engine up to the air cleaner. I have looked at the engine parts prints at the John Deere parts site and cannot find any engine breather or its location. Will I have to remove the engine and tear it down to replace this breather part? If so does anyone know the part number. If I have to remove the engine I might as well rebuild the engine at the same time. What would be the approximate cost for new ring, valves, and a gasket set? Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-18-2017 @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks

425 valve cover

Quote Originally Posted by jd425 View Post
    I am in need of help with someone familiar with the Kawasaki FD620D 20HP liquid-cooled engine. When mowing last week I noticed oil coming out from the left side panel of my 1996 425 AWS. I removed the left panel and noted that the rubber plug on the oil fill tube had blown off. I was told it probably was a faulty engine breather. The engine runs beautiful without any exhaust smoke. I made a test with the engine running and the dipstick removed and there was more blow by at the dipstick tube than the rubber tube coming from the engine up to the air cleaner. I have looked at the engine parts prints at the John Deere parts site and cannot find any engine breather or its location. Will I have to remove the engine and tear it down to replace this breather part? If so does anyone know the part number. If I have to remove the engine I might as well rebuild the engine at the same time. What would be the approximate cost for new ring, valves, and a gasket set? Thank you in advance.
    It's not that serious!! Mine used to blow off on occasion. There is a change up on the left valve cover. The new one has a screw on plug, and that stops the problem.

Good Luck,
    JD3X (just north of you)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    It breathes thru the air filter, hence the tube to the air filter. That lets filtered air go into the engine.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the above. However, I invested about $1000. for a honed bore rebuild, water pump valves, springs, gaskets kit, ect on my 445 FYI.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements