Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Uneven Cut

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2015 @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks

Uneven Cut

I purchased a D130 this Spring and after 6 months of use I still cannot get it to cut evenly. I've checked tire pressure and have spent what seems like hours doing my best to level the deck using the John Deere leveling gadge. The deck rollers are on their lowest level but yet there's a good ½ or more difference when I cut.

I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing leveled up. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to attach a couple of photos I took this morning after cutting the grass.r
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Decaharms; 08-31-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Add photos

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,567 Posts
    Welcome from West Virginia

Just a suggestion, maybe you have tried. Raise the right side 1/4" and lower the left side 1/4" . Also try lowering the gauge wheels another 1/2" so they are closer to the ground.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome,,, and,,,

Is the front tip of the blade lower than the back by the correct amount,,,, or are the blades "level"?

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,578 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

You should also check for the blades being straight. With the leveling gauge it's an easy thing to check. Simply check the height of the end of one blade, turn it 180* and check it again. The measurement should be the same. If not, you need new blades or possibly a spindle.
    Levi and Jeff R. like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    One thing I noticed is the slope you're mowing. I've found that it can be really tricky to get a standard riding mower to cut even across a slope like that because the play in the deck linkage lets it shift enough to get goofy. Check your rear tire pressures as well, if one side is a little low that could let the tire 'squish' a bit when the weight shifts on the hill.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,063 Posts
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-31-2015 @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for your insights

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to share your insights into my problem.

The problem does seem to get worse on the part of my lawn that's on a slope and where the grass is fuller and thicker so the tires seem to naturally sink down into the grass a bit deeper in that area. I've tried literally leaning to the left (uphill) as I make the pass hoping that by throwing my weight opposite the low side that it would help. But it doesn't. And the uneven cut happens even on level ground, just not as noticeable.

I'll double check the blade measurements again to make sure a blade or spindle isn't warped and also the front/back adjustments. If that still doesn't work I may try the suggestion to go ahead and make the deck purposely uneven in the opposite direction to offset the uneven cut.

I owned a Yard Machines mower for years and never had this kind of issue.

One more thought/question: is this something I could take to a local JD dealer or retailer and have them check the mower and/or check my deck settings? I bought this from Lowes back in the spring of this year.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Your machine is the exact same model that's sold at the dealer, for the exact same price. They can certainly look at it and should be able to repair it, but I'm not familiar with the warranty structure for those particular machines. It may or may not be covered.

Water under the bridge now, but for others who may read this thread later that's one of the benefits of buying from the dealer. You become "their" customer in addition to John Deere's customer.
    Gizmo2 and coaltrain like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,918 Times in 2,890 Posts
    Decaharms, Does it cut the same pattern when mowing either direction? As in, always on the low side or always on the high side?

BTW, Welcome to GTT.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast