John Deere 345 Battery Light

Thread: John Deere 345 Battery Light

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2011 @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 345 Battery Light

I have a 2001 John Deere model 345. A few years ago when I got it out in the spring, I put the battery in it and I noticed the battery light on the dash stayed on. It stayed on for about 2 minutes then it goes out for the rest of the time that I am mowing. I mow about once a week sometimes every 2 weeks. It does this every time I start it. I just decided to dive into this as it is an annoyance more than anything else. I decided to check the connection at the voltage regulator and found one of the terminals to be green with corrosion. I cleaned the connection and applied some dielectric grease and put everything back together. Started it up and it did the same thing. Now, after reading how to check the voltage regulator with a multimeter, I did and it tests perfect. The battery volts in a standing state with key off is 12.38v. I started it up and the light came on as usual and checked the volts across the battery again. It read 14.65-14.66 the whole time it was running untill the light went out at which time it read 14.45-14.46v. I slowed the throttle back down to an idle right after I took the reading and the light came back on so I again tested the volts at the battery and again it read 14.65-14.66v. Does anyone have any suggestions? In my opinion the voltage regulator is doing it's job and there is no eratic fluctuation in volts. My father has the same identical machine only a year newer and his acts the exact same way. My machine only has less than 200hrs on it and I am the original owner................................I don't want to just start swapping parts out till it stops so I am kinda looking for some help on this. Thanks in advance.

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-28-2011 @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 325 Battery Light

I have a John Deere 325 with 235 hours and it does the same thing. I thaught this was normal for the machine. It has been like this as long as I have owned it. Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by azzdog View Post
    I have a 2001 John Deere model 345. A few years ago when I got it out in the spring, I put the battery in it and I noticed the battery light on the dash stayed on. It stayed on for about 2 minutes then it goes out for the rest of the time that I am mowing. I mow about once a week sometimes every 2 weeks. It does this every time I start it. I just decided to dive into this as it is an annoyance more than anything else. I decided to check the connection at the voltage regulator and found one of the terminals to be green with corrosion. I cleaned the connection and applied some dielectric grease and put everything back together. Started it up and it did the same thing. Now, after reading how to check the voltage regulator with a multimeter, I did and it tests perfect. The battery volts in a standing state with key off is 12.38v. I started it up and the light came on as usual and checked the volts across the battery again. It read 14.65-14.66 the whole time it was running untill the light went out at which time it read 14.45-14.46v. I slowed the throttle back down to an idle right after I took the reading and the light came back on so I again tested the volts at the battery and again it read 14.65-14.66v. Does anyone have any suggestions? In my opinion the voltage regulator is doing it's job and there is no eratic fluctuation in volts. My father has the same identical machine only a year newer and his acts the exact same way. My machine only has less than 200hrs on it and I am the original owner................................I don't want to just start swapping parts out till it stops so I am kinda looking for some help on this. Thanks in advance.

Frank

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-29-2011 @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks
    The first several years that I owned it, it did not do this. As soon as the engine started the light went right out much the same as your car does. I am wondering if it could be the battery is just to the point where it drops off a little when it sits and it is just charging it until it gets up to the proper level at which the light goes out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    AZZDOG,

I have a 1997 345 and never have had the problem you described. So............ I referred to the Tech Manual TM1760. This is part of the circuit description.

"The charging system is a permanent magnet and
    stator design. Charging output is controlled by a
    regulator/rectifier. A battery discharge light warns the
    operator if the stator stops charging. The battery
    discharge light circuit monitors stator output, not
    battery voltage."

According to the TM, the light monitors the stator output. The only time the stator would not be providing AC current is when the flywheel is not rotating. This makes no sense to me. As long as the battery stays charged I would ignore the battery light.

GotDeeres
    [

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements