Green Tractor Talk banner

block heater install ?'s on an x758

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  6shooter 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd throw a block heater on my x758 before this winter, so I called the dealer today to get a price. The guy gave me the line that I need a kit, move my fuel filter out of the way, adapter plate, yada yada yada. So I got home and looked at my tractor, figuring I could just throw the block heater in and grab some longer bolts and spacers out of the bolt bin at work and move the fuel filter out of the way myself. Well, unless I'm really missing something here, the kit he was telling me about actually requires me removing a freeze plug, bolting the adapter on with a gasket behind it, threading my heater element into the plate, and then moving my fuel filter forward so it doesn't touch? Did I see that correctly? I can't believe these engines just don't have a threaded plug somewhere to throw a standard pipe thread block heater element into the water jacket with! And JD wants $150 for this kit that I'm not too crazy about the design of! Is there a plug elsewhere that I can purchase a standard element for and put in? Or am I going to be forced to remove a freeze plug and use an adapter plate if I want a block heater?

This is the kit in question in the parts picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Well, my point is that I don't want to have to remove a freeze plug, and then with the one you linked, depend on just an o-ring to keep my heater from blowing out on me. I think the JD heater threads into the adapter plate, but I'm not positive. I may go look at it tomorrow at the stealership to see. I want an element I can thread in place so I know it isn't going anywhere.

#4 ·
Well, mine's been in my x748 for 9 years and hasn't went anywhere...if that makes you feel any better.
I thought all block heaters were installed in freeze plugs.:dunno:

Reactions: prosparky
#5 ·
They may be on Deeres, but I've been a mechanic for Caterpillar for years now and even on the skid steer engines, all our jacket water heater elements thread into the block somewhere. I'll go check out the kit today after work at the dealership and see what it's lookin like. If that's the only way to do it, I guess so be it, because I want a block heater regardless.

#6 ·
samt on the 4510... there is a thing you unscrew and then you just screw in the heater element.

#8 ·
Well I finally got around to dropping the $140 on the whole kit, and despite the picture breakdown, the heater element does thread into the adapter plate. But the pigtail on the heater element is only like 8" long! I can't even get outside the hood with that! Probably going to go check out tractor supply and get a universal 1" pipe thread heater element with a longer cord and return the JD element. I asked when I saw the cord, JD doesn't even offer a longer one. Kind of a pain to have to raise my hood every time I'm done plowing to plug in.

#9 ·
They make the cord that short for a reason. Because when you melt it, get it cut/smashed by the hood etc you end up having to Buy a whole new Assembly.
Ask me how I know? Lol
Just use a Quality short extension cord. Leave it on the tractor. Eazy enough To replace after you mangled it.

#10 ·
#13 ·
Lol. That's what I'm talking about

#14 ·
Looks like someone doesn't take pride in their work as far as a clean install goes. I'd rather have extra as opposed to not enough. A few strategically placed zip ties and some brainpower, it won't look like **** and won't get pinched or burned anywhere and I'll make sure I don't have to lift the hood just to plug the block heater in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.