• 2 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 1 Post By sumnermac

Thread: 345 temp light and smoking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-18-2016 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks

345 temp light and smoking

greetings all... i'm new.. have an 02 (i think) 345, 20 hp, water cooled w/48" deck... in GREAT shape.. all of a sudden temp light starts coming on and i'm seeing some smoke coming from "around" the exhaust area when i start it up... oil level is correct... antifreeze is correct... any hints of things to try? look into? i read something about if the right front tire was low (which mine is a tad bit lower) that would cause stuff like this.. ole wives tale? or? Thanks ahead of time for any info / leads.. Patrick
    1983 JD STX38, 1998 345, 2001 345, 2003 790 Diesel 4x4 w/loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlloyd975 View Post
    greetings all... i'm new.. have an 02 (i think) 345, 20 hp, water cooled w/48" deck... in GREAT shape.. all of a sudden temp light starts coming on and i'm seeing some smoke coming from "around" the exhaust area when i start it up... oil level is correct... antifreeze is correct... any hints of things to try? look into? i read something about if the right front tire was low (which mine is a tad bit lower) that would cause stuff like this.. ole wives tale? or? Thanks ahead of time for any info / leads.. Patrick
    First, welcome to the Forum!

Second, anyone tells you a low tire will cause engine smoke... well, hit them with a stick and back away!

BEFORE you start the engine, inspect the "exhaust area" for any signs of oil or coolant on the manifold/pipe surfaces. Any oil will smoke when the exhaust heats up. It doesn't take much oil to smoke, but it will stop if the leak is very small...

Third, temperature light usually means it's not cooling properly and that could be clogged radiator core (blow out chaff w/compressed air), bum thermostat or a clogged internal cooling system. I'm not familiar with these water cooled systems, but I'd check to see that not only the overflow tank is full, but also the radiator is full when cold.

I'm sure some water cooled folks will have better input coming along...
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-18-2016 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    Been a while since i've been on here.. haven't had time to work on it... so, update... still doing same thing.. but, all fluids seem to be w/in acceptable levels, no water in oil (that i can see or tell) appears to be coolant steaming etc out front end. Assuming next step is to take front grill / hood / clip off to access... sure i'll prob see what's "leaking" but what exactly am i looking for, and what are some possible areas that i should be concerned about? Haven't taken off yet, but plan to very soon, just looking for helpful hints at this point. Thanks!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1983 JD STX38, 1998 345, 2001 345, 2003 790 Diesel 4x4 w/loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Look around all the hose connections for signs of leaking. Use a temp gun to see what the actual temperature of the cylinder head & radiator are. You need to find out if it's actually overheating.
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-28-2015 @ 08:27 AM
    Thanks
    What color is the smoke you're seeing? Is it just when you're starting the engine up? I have a GX345 which had a cracked head last year that would blow a couple puffs of white smoke when starting up. Never saw any milky white colored oil which would indicate coolant in the oil or anything like that. Honestly I didn't even see my coolant levels drop that much.

I just googled, and found a site that will point you in a direction based on the color of the smoke (I have no affiliation with this link/site other than a quick google search): Exhaust Color Diagnosis | White Smoke Blue Black

Let me know if you have other questions based on my GX345's smoking.

-Sumnermac
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements