• 1 Post By mrb620

Thread: John Deere 165 Hydro.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-13-2015 @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 165 Hydro.

Hey folks!

I just picked up a 165 Hydro, with the Kawasaki (did I spell the right?) 460V engine. The hydro worked driving it down the guys driveway, worked good getting it into the back of my truck, and worked good getting it off my truck this morning. I drove it around a bit, I had to constantly adjust the speed, and it seemed a bit jerky. I found a service / technical manual on line, and after reading, I decided to change the oil in the hydro, and the differential. I also had to epoxy a small hole in the top of the gas tank, and get the "dump valve" for pushing and free wheeling the trans freed up and working. All back together, and filled with fresh oil, I started it up, and NO movement! It freewheels no matter where I have the shifter, but does not move under the power of the trans. I read that you need to have it running, and push it forward and backward to work out any air pockets because of changing the oil, which I did, and still no movement on it's own. Could the dump valve be stuck inside the trans? The pin pops all the out. I used Tractor Supply 90W in the gear case, and 30W engine oil in the hydro, as per the service manual.

Looking for suggestions and ideas, before I decide what I will do with the tractor. Part it out? or find a trans ? I have $75 into the unit, with no mower deck, and no idea what a hydro might cost. It is in great shape, body wise, and the seat is like new.

Thanks!

Mike.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    I moved this to the regular L&G section as the 100 series lawn tractors are considered "vintage".
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-13-2015 @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks

Fixed my problem.

Tractor and hydro now work excellent. The problem was, the oil wasn't getting into the pump. I removed the reservoir / fill tube, ( it's left handed thread), cleaned the screen, put it back on, opened up the top vent hole, and slowly added the oil. With the vent hole opened, the oil went down into the pump, instead of staying in the reservoir. I let the oil run a tiny bit from the vent so I knew all of the air was out, and oil was in. Actually, I slightly overfilled the tube, and let it run from the vent until the oil was at the proper level, then tightened the vent cap.

I drove it around for awhile, and it moves nice and smooth as the speed increases and decreases, and the same in reverse. I might just find a deck for this and use it!.

Mike.
    dieselshadow likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements