used tractor purchase for mowing about 2 acres - Deere x300 vs Craftsman GT6000??
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By mn1025rfilb

Thread: used tractor purchase for mowing about 2 acres - Deere x300 vs Craftsman GT6000??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-23-2015 @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks

used tractor purchase for mowing about 2 acres - Deere x300 vs Craftsman GT6000??

I have done plenty of research so far on multiple forums and other sites. I need a riding mower that could potentially take light duty implements down the road, but most likely will only see mowing about 1 - 2 acres of yard. From most of my reading I have concluded that I don't really want most Lowes/Home Depot machines. I was looking at a few older Deere 212's, but they lacked the tight turning radius and some of the creature comforts of the newer models. With a $1k budget for a used machine and searching CL for many machines (including Simplicity and other brands as well), I arrived at either a 2006 Deere x300 with 535 hrs on the ticker. One thing that makes me nervous about this is that (although it was purchase from a Deere dealer) it still has the K46 transmission which I have not read great things about, but most of the issues seem to be with working it too hard or long or steep grades. Of course it has the Kawasaki motor and a 42" Edge deck with mulching kit. She is asking $1,200. The other machine is a 2013 Craftsman GT6000 with only 120 hrs. It has a G7 hydro which from what I hear is a solid tranny, however with an albeit powerful 26 hp engine, it is a Kohler Courage which I have not heard great things about. Everyone says takes "courage" to buy one, and the older Kohler Command are far superior. Any comments or suggestions? I lean towards the Deere as I have all Deere "stuff", including a nice 4x4 510c TLB for stumps and heavy duty work. Decisions decisions.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks

My opinion

Well, the 1k really limits what you can do. I would not buy the Craftsman. Really too light for the duty you need. The x300 series is too light too, but would work until it is wore out in 2-4 years. You will be very tired of mowing with a tractor that small on a acreage that big.

If I were you I would look for a used zero turn, or save for a bigger lawn tractor instead of a lawn mower.

Remember, the advise is worth what you paid for it!
    Matt

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks
    At a $1K price point you'll be hard pressed to find something from Deere that avoids the K46.

I suppose something like a LX200-series or the GT200-series tractor would be possibilities.

There happens to be a GX255 near me up for sale for $900. I don't know anything about it other than what is in the ad but it would fit the bill. That's got the K62 tranny in it.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/5192468479.html
    jdskycaster likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Certainly for a $1k budget I can't expect a lot but if I get 5 years or so b out of it is be happy. I already have a brand new snowblower and driveway isn't huge, so I don't see needing one for the tractor. Some things like an aerator, seeder or tiller could potentially come in handy but more likely than not they would only be used once or twice so probably would just rent rather than buy them.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    x2 on what JimR suggested above.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Our neighbor has a Gt6000 , it has mowed 3 lawns , takes about 1-2 hrs each week for the past 3 or 4 years. It seems to be doing a great job and with no break downs.

I know this is JD site but for the money, less hours, and the age , I think I would buy the Craftsman .

Nothing against the JD ,
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

I had/have the previous model of the Craftsman

Before I got into JDs I used a Craftsman 6500DGS. It is still running fine after 8 years of mowing 3+ acres of rolling riverside terrain at my place (800 + hours on it last I checked). I was going to sell it when I got into the 4X5 series tractors but never did... Don't use it anymore really except to haul around the trailer full of stuff when using the backhoe on the 1025r.

I love my JDs but I'd have to agree with etcallhome on this one. Less hours lower price for a fill in until I could get the JD I really want ( I really recommend the 4X5 series) I'd most likely go with the GT until my budget opened up
    etcallhome likes this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    One thing I am reading over and over on the Craftsman GT6000 is steering/front end problems mainly due to the ultra tight 6" turning radius and people not driving slowly enough when turning at that angle. I am starting to wonder if a LX series or similar model with K58 or better K62 or higher would be better. Is it possible to replace the k46 with a k62 for example on the x300 down the road if I wanted to or would it not makes sense with more than 800 hours most likely at that point?

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements