Favorite Engine?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Engine?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks

Favorite Engine?

Ok, I have owned lawn tractors (to include Lawn & Garden) with Kohler, Kawasaki and Yanmar Diesel engines!

What are your favorite engines and why? Interesting stories of amazing feats from an engine would also make great reading!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-17-2014 @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, I bet you will get all kinds of opinions on this one.

Anyhow, I had a 14 HP Kawi single cylinder "thumper" in my 240... never any problems for 12 year. I've had a 18 HP V-Twin Briggs in my LX288 for 11 years... no problems. I just hope the new 22HP Kawi V-Twin in my X320 is equally as reliable.

My neighbor has an older Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine in it. While he's had several issue with the tractor, none of them have been engine related.

To be honest, if John Deere would run the Honda V-Twin motor in their tractors, I would have NO problem with it.

With that said, I think a well made diesel is the ultimate tractor engine, at least for power, torque and longevity.
    Dave

2011 - X320
    2000 - LX-288 - Gone, but not forgotten
    1988 - 240 - Long Gone, but probably still running

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    The best engine I have ever owned are three engines. Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled diesels in my 332 has a 16 HP, my two 455's have a 22 hp and my 2210 has a 23 HP engines. These engines are great for fuel economy and power. The only problems I have with them is alternator bearings, fuel pumps, glow plugs and normal maintenance items. Two of them have OVER 2500 hours and still run great. My next choice is my 322 with a Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled gasoline Yanmar. Same engine as the 332 except it is a gasoline model. It purrs like a kitten.

The old Kawasaki engines were probably the best air cooled engines. I bought a GT275 new and really liked the 17 HP engine. I replaced it with a 345 with a 20 HP engine which has had ignition and carburetor problems. The plastic cam gear in the newer models has changed my opinion of Kawasaki engines.

Just my opinion,
    GotDeeres
    Last edited by gotdeeres; 10-30-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    [

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    In a lawn machine, I love the yanmar diesel, but its not because its a yanmar, its because its a diesel. They do not bog down in the thick grass and combine that with a good deck, you have one hell of a machine.

Gas engines 15 hp and under I love Honda, but for performance and anything over 15 hp, I love Kawasaki.

Brian

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My 445 has nearly 1600 hours in 16 years on the meter. The Kawasaki has worked well. The only repairs have been a front cover gasket, one ignition coil and replacement of the damn plastic timing gear. I can overlook the gasket and the coil, but not the plastic camshaft gear. Poor choice of material.

If I may, my favorite engines of all time have to be the John Deere 404 and 466 six-cylinder diesel. Great performance; great reliability and the sound is better than any music. Both of these engines have an very recognizable sound.

My next tractor will be a John Deere, of course. It will definitely be a diesel. I love the sound of a diesel and the smell of the exhaust.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    DRobinson,

I agree. I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning. I prefer it to Folgers.

GotDeeres
    [

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Wow, I bet you will get all kinds of opinions on this one.

Anyhow, I had a 14 HP Kawi single cylinder "thumper" in my 240... never any problems for 12 year. I've had a 18 HP V-Twin Briggs in my LX288 for 11 years... no problems. I just hope the new 22HP Kawi V-Twin in my X320 is equally as reliable.

My neighbor has an older Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine in it. While he's had several issue with the tractor, none of them have been engine related.

To be honest, if John Deere would run the Honda V-Twin motor in their tractors, I would have NO problem with it.

With that said, I think a well made diesel is the ultimate tractor engine, at least for power, torque and longevity.
    I have not had a bad engine yet either, and I'm with ya on the diesel!

Quote Originally Posted by gotdeeres View Post
    .............My next choice is my 322 with a Yanmar 3 cylinder liquid cooled gasoline Yanmar. Same engine as the 332 except it is a gasoline model. It purrs like a kitten.

The old Kawasaki engines......... The plastic cam gear in the newer models has changed my opinion of Kawasaki engines.

Just my opinion,
    GotDeeres
    Yanmar/gas? I was not aware of such a creature!
    Plastic cam gear on newer Kaws? Do you think they do this on the walk behind size engines too? I just ordered a new WE85....kind of concerning!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    In a lawn machine, I love the yanmar diesel, but its not because its a yanmar, its because its a diesel. They do not bog down in the thick grass and combine that with a good deck, you have one hell of a machine.

Gas engines 15 hp and under I love Honda, but for performance and anything over 15 hp, I love Kawasaki.
    Again, I agree with the diesel idea. I have no experience with non dirt-bike Honda engines although I just purchased a new JD pressure washer with a Honda...too new to have opinion yet!

Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    My 445 has nearly 1600 hours in 16 years on the meter. The Kawasaki has worked well. The only repairs have been a front cover gasket, one ignition coil and replacement of the damn plastic timing gear. I can overlook the gasket and the coil, but not the plastic camshaft gear. Poor choice of material.

If I may, my favorite engines of all time have to be the John Deere 404 and 466 six-cylinder diesel. Great performance; great reliability and the sound is better than any music. Both of these engines have an very recognizable sound.

My next tractor will be a John Deere, of course. It will definitely be a diesel. I love the sound of a diesel and the smell of the exhaust.
    Referencing another thread we were both communicating in, while I stated I do not mind plastic (general comment unspecific to type of..) on my hood or fenders, I do not know that I like the idea of it in my engine! Do you remember how many hours the engine had when you replaced the plastic camshaft?

The 404 you mentioned, is that a JD 404 cubic-inch? I would love to find an old 4#20 series....I think I have that right! Do you have one of those old engines?

Quote Originally Posted by gotdeeres View Post
    DRobinson,

I agree. I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning. I prefer it to Folgers.

GotDeeres
    Glad I'm not the only one loving that exhaust fragrance....but prefering it over Folgers!? Hmmm, next time I'm in the barn with the doors closed, the Yanmar running and my John Deere coffee mug massaging my lips with......I'll give that some sincere contemplation

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    OneMarineE5,

I wanted a 332 diesel but could not find one. So, I bought a 318 with a 2 cylinder 18 HP Onan. This is another good engine. I saw a 322 on $Bay and that is when I also found out about the Yanmar 3 cylinder 18 HP gasoline version. It is the same Yanmar engine except with spark plugs instead of injectors. I bought the tractor just because I liked how the engine sounded. Then I finally found the 332 which is only a 16 HP diesel engine. I never needed any more HP with it. The last 4 tractors I bought have been diesels and that will continue.

GotDeeres
    [

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,386 Posts
    USMC Sergeant:

My 445 plastic cam gear went down at around 800 hours. I think I have written on here before that the equipment manufacturers should have learned from the automotive companies that plastic timing gears don't last. The excuse that I have heard from auto and JD people is that they use them because they are quieter. I think that quiet is an excuse and not a reason. Who cares if their tractor engine is quiet? I enjoy listening to them.

The 404 cubic inch was used in the 4020 series, which was a great tractor. The 466 was used in at least the 4240 and 4440 series, and maybe more, but those are the ones that I am familiar with. The 404 and 466 have a distinctive sound that is recognizable instantly. Unfortunately, I don't have an engine or 4xxx series tractor. I have a rather long toy wish list right now and one of them falls right behind a 2320 or 1026R and a new F-150 Eco-Boost.

Don
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 671 Posts

20 hp Onan

I had 2 - 20hp Onans and they were great. Did not burn oil, no major failures and boy did they do the work.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast