About a gas tank?

Thread: About a gas tank?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks

About a gas tank?

A simple question; what is the proper way to clean a gas/diesel fuel tank?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    What's it made out of? Metal or plastic. How is it contaminated?

Metal to remove rust & scale you could use fish tank/aquarium gravel shaken all around. Works but labor intensive. There are also chemical strippers as well but you need to know what you are trying to clean. Check with Eastwood-an automotive supplier that carries this stuff. Plastic-same issues-what are you trying to clean. Most tanks require nothing unless they are rusted. Not sure why you need any cleaning of a plastic tank. My experience has been with them that nothing really affects them. Guess you can always put some sort of cleaner in them, dump the cleaner & blow them dry with compressed air.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    With the variety of mowers around here, I was referring to both steel and plastic tanks. The next tank to be cleaned will be plastic one off my 345.

I guess my plan is to remove the tank from the mower, rinse and scrub and rinse more with a garden hose. Blow dry with compressed air and, a final rinse with some gas/diesel fuel. Use the gas/diesel as a weed killer when done.

Any better idea than this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy33 View Post
    With the variety of mowers around here, I was referring to both steel and plastic tanks. The next tank to be cleaned will be plastic one off my 345.

I guess my plan is to remove the tank from the mower, rinse and scrub and rinse more with a garden hose. Blow dry with compressed air and, a final rinse with some gas/diesel fuel. Use the gas/diesel as a weed killer when done.

Any better idea than this?
    I believe this is exactly how the mechanic who cleaned my 345's tank did it
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-21-2015 @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    Discoloration in a tank should be no problem....but rust, can and will cause filter problems if not corrected.... you can buy rust treatments at automotive paint stores...or Eastwood...I use muriatic acid....(swimming pool acid)... it is very inexpensive, easy to locate (Home Depot) and works really well....it eats rust and does not eat metal...flushes with water..... after the tank is cleaned it must be protected.... you can buy sealers from Eastwood...I buy mine from Sherwin Williams and is called Aircraft Sloshing Compound... looks and smells like contact cement.... you put the whole quart in... slosh it around and pour out the excess....then when that has dried you repeat the process...over and over...each time will build a layer inside the fuel tank...and eventually you will have a good thick covering inside the tank....a liner... I use it often on dirt bike fuel tanks that tend to leak at the seams after a few crashes...

Joel

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-21-2015 @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    I should also mention...... Muriatic acid will also clean that discoloration out of plastic tanks...make em look like new...then flush with water and dry....the acid does nothing to the plastic at all....nice stuff...we often do it on plastic coolant tanks to make them look new, especially after an engine has blown a gasket and the tank looks like it was filled with mud...

Joel

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Not to be "that guy", but make sure to wear a respirator when using muriatic acid. The fumes can be very dangerous. I used it once to etch and clean some concrete prepping for paint in a small room. I was messed up for a few days. I should've realized the fumes that stunk and caused a headache were doing more damage.....
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements