Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: X320 No Power to Fuel Solenoid

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-07-2015 @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks

X320 No Power to Fuel Solenoid

My 2006 X320 seemed to be short of power recently when operating with the power flow unit. Find out it was running on one cylinder-I go to check the plugs and find the plug wire was severed at the shroud. So I purchase a new coil from dealer along with the wire harness to fuel solenoid as it was frayed by mice. I replace these two pretty easily and now mower will not start.

I have spark at both plugs, but only when the ground wires are detached from coils. But the mower should still start without these connected, correct? Safety switches at seat and brake are good as I tested these. Did not test safety switch for PTO as have not found it yet. The fuel solenoid does not "click" when key is turned on. I can get the mower to fire for a few seconds when gas is squirted into carb with air filter removed. So it seems like there is no gas getting in to carb. I have choked it plenty but no smell of gas. Disconnected gas line just after the vacuum fuel pump and gas does squirt out when turning the engine over. Did not disconnect the next hose segment as it would be very difficult to reconnect without pulling off carb. But there is fuel in the bottom of the carb bowl where the solenoid is located. Twice I have drained it.

So I seem to have it narrowed down to the solenoid, I think. (I have plugged and unplugged it on both ends several times to make sure I have a good connection, even reconnected the old frayed one but does not help.) But still not sure why I have no spark when the grounds are disconnected to the coils. I suspect these are related but have run out of ideas.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Many thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    The mags should fire without the ground wires hooked up. Sounds like the safty systems are grounding the coils for some reason. If the pto is engaged the engine will not start. Also see if you have power at the fuel selonoid when the key is on. That would starve it for fuel. When you had it running I take it it's with the ground disconnected & spraying carb cleaner into the intake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

T-man (10-03-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    I would say you have a bad interlock module. It controls the ground to the coils to shut off engine and also controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. It is located up under the dash, near the hour meter. Its a small black module, 2in by 4in, held in place by one screw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

T-man (10-03-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    The mags should fire without the ground wires hooked up. Sounds like the safty systems are grounding the coils for some reason. If the pto is engaged the engine will not start. Also see if you have power at the fuel selonoid when the key is on. That would starve it for fuel. When you had it running I take it it's with the ground disconnected & spraying carb cleaner into the intake.
    Yes, that's what I am thinking that a safety switch is grounding out, as I do not have spark when the ground cables are connected to the coils. PTO is not engaged, although maybe the safety switch for this is not working correctly. I don't have power to solenoid, at least I don't think so as there is no "click" when key is turned on; and given no fuel is getting to carb. When I had it running initially and was picking up leaves a week ago everything seemed to be working fine other than short of power, and coil ground wires were connected. I replace the two items mentioned with new parts from JD and now I have this problem, they were easy enough to replace and I figured I would have the machine running again without problem. It does fire up when I squirt a little gas in carb with air cleaner removed, this is why so I do not believe there is power to solenoid.

If it is a safety switch issue, does it cut power to solenoid too? (In addition to coil ground wires.) I have to figure out why no power to ground wires on coils, and no power to solenoid.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    I would say you have a bad interlock module. It controls the ground to the coils to shut off engine and also controls the fuel shutoff solenoid. It is located up under the dash, near the hour meter. Its a small black module, 2in by 4in, held in place by one screw.
    Thanks. Maybe that is the problem if it controls power to both the fuel solenoid and the coils, as I don't have power to either. What else does that module control? Is there a way to be sure this is causing my problem? Maybe I can check 1-2 more things just to be sure before I order one of these. I see it, and looks to be easily replaced. Just seems odd that everything was working fine other than short of power, and I replace a coil/spark plug wire, and the wire harness to fuel solenoid and now I have this problem. Maybe I shorted something when removing and replacing these items.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Update: I unplugged the solenoid wire upstream to where the positive wire plugs in to another wire harness and ran a jumper wire from battery + to the unplugged solenoid wire +, mower started right up! So fuel solenoid is good. I even hear it "click" on once I ran the jumper and turned on the key.

The ground wires were still off the coils, when running. I plugged each one in separately and the engine lost power - dropping down to one cylinder am guessing. I also pulled button to engage the mower deck but it would not come on; motor still ran when I tried to engage mower. I let engine run for a about 10 min and turn key off and it wouldn't shut down. I pulled off my jumper and after a few seconds it sputtered to a stop.

One last thing, while the motor was running for the 10 min the hour meter display was no longer on. Worked before.

Does this now narrow it down without question to the interlock module that xcopterdoc mentioned? Or could this still be the PTO safety switch?

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    That is typical of a bad module. To tell the truth, I have never actually trouble shot one down to the module. I bought one from our parts dept and I use it as a known good one. So when a mower comes in with no spark, i swap mine in and fire it up. Swapnostics! Quick fast and in a hurry.
    By chance did you charge the battery or jump start with the battery still hooked up?
    OxPath likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    That is typical of a bad module. To tell the truth, I have never actually trouble shot one down to the module. I bought one from our parts dept and I use it as a known good one. So when a mower comes in with no spark, i swap mine in and fire it up. Swapnostics! Quick fast and in a hurry.
    By chance did you charge the battery or jump start with the battery still hooked up?
    Swapnostics! I'm a big fan, but never had a name for it until now.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    If you don't want to do the try me by me thing with the module check out the pto circuit first. My ex brother in law gave me an old JD tractor (metal hood without head lights) because no one could figure out why I wouldn't run. Long story short it turned out to be the metal pto switch on the fender. It was worn out & kept the pto engaged at all times. If I remember correctly just unplugging the switch didn't solve the problem. I had install a jumper wire between two of the terminals. This told the safety systems that the switch was disengaged allowing it to start. One clue to the problem was every time I cranked the engine Icould hear the electric/magnetic clutch click on.
    Jeff R. likes this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Looks like I will be trying your Swapnostics as I will be picking up a new module. Although I would like to be sure this is the actual problem before paying $70+ for a new module. Can't return it given it is an "electronic part." But if the new module makes it all work as it should, I will be happy to have it all fixed. I have spent too much time tinkering around with this. I thought it would be a quick fix initially with the new coil and solenoid wire . I should know within a few minutes of getting the new module if this is the problem -> install module, plug ground wires back in to coils, plug fuel solenoid wire back in, and cross my fingers.

No I didn't charge or jump the battery, I know that can cause trouble if you don't disconnect battery cables first.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast