Rear weight options for X700s
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear weight options for X700s

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks

Rear weight options for X700s

For years, I ran my X585 and 47" blower without any added weight on the rear. I didn't have any traction issues per se (even had turfs on the 585!) and it didn't seem to stress the machine. My dealer didn't say that ballast was required.

I've read a few threads about some X700 (and the cousin X500s) owners having suitcase weights etc. for counterbalancing the blower and for traction. I have no need for a 3 point hitch set up and don't see the need for the rear pto. When I bought my X748 this summer, my dealer knew I'd be having the blower on the machine (he and I put in the axle drive shaft together)....again, no comment about counterweight.

Can I get some thoughts about the idea of having ballast/counterweight, if it's a for sure need, what are the options, and photos would be great.

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Keith
    3320 w/ Imatch, 300CX, 375 BH, 5' box blade, b box
    X748 w/ 62C & 54C deck, 47" blower w/quick hitch
    2025R w/Imatch, R120, RC2048, 60D w/ind. lift, 54" blade w/quick hitch, Frontier grapple
    590M w/winch, maxxis, roof

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,471 Posts
    I always think counterbalancing weight hanging on the front of a tractor is a good idea. Without it, more weight is placed on the front axle, and often it is not designed to carry that extra weight; and the front drive system (axle, hubs, driveshaft) end up doing a majority of the work.

Think of it like a see-saw on the playground...your front wheels become the fulcrum point when the blower is hanging out in front. Adding weight to the rear will reduce that stress on the front axle by transferring more to the rear axle.

Just my thoughts...may be worth what you paid for them
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    I second Kenny's comments. Regardless of the machine, rear ballast to counteract the weight of the blower hanging off the front end is a good idea. I suspect Deere has a weight bracket kit for the X7xx series to hang suitcase weights on. If not, a bracket would probably be easy to fabricate.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-11-2014 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Deere has one that will hold six suit case weight and also there is a seller on ebay that makes one that holds six. Four to six weights would do the trick for the blower.
    2012 JD X720SE
    54"mmm
    54" Quick hitch blade

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-15-2018 @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks
    Where is the best place to buy suitcase weights? And are there different models? I see that Home Depot sells them but they say they are for the 100 series. I can't imagine that Deere makes different models for different tractors (referring to the 42lb units).
    2520; JD ballast box; BX42 Chipper; BB2060 box blade; 200CX FEL; iMatch; JD 54" blower; SS1067B spreader; Ken's Grab Hooks; JD front and rear worklight kit c/w Artillian Worklight horse blinders; Artillian Forks; Artillian Caster Carts; X-series seat and suspension with upgraded springs; Piranha toothbar

X740 ; 60D 7-iron deck with mulch kit; Brinley Aerator; De-thatcher; Ohio Steel 920 lb. Roller; JD 25 gallon sprayer; Brinley 17p cart; Custom hazard lights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,471 Posts
    I bought mine at the dealer...they go for just over $1.00 a pound nowadays. The ones at Home Cheapot are the same.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    02-24-2015 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by North585 View Post
    I've read a few threads about some X700 (and the cousin X500s) owners having suitcase weights etc. for counterbalancing the blower and for traction. I have no need for a 3 point hitch set up and don't see the need for the rear pto. When I bought my X748 this summer, my dealer knew I'd be having the blower on the machine (he and I put in the axle drive shaft together)....again, no comment about counterweight.
    I will agree you should use weights as ballast and for traction on the rear of your X700 while using a front mount Snow Blower. That said, however, I looked at JDParts for a rear weight bracket (instead of a 3 point hitch) for a X700 but only found a front mount weight bracket. You'll need to speak to your John Deere dealer to determine if there's a rear weight bracket available.

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Where is the best place to buy suitcase weights? And are there different models? I see that Home Depot sells them but they say they are for the 100 series. I can't imagine that Deere makes different models for different tractors (referring to the 42lb units).
    Regarding John Deere Lawn and Garden tractor suitcase weights of the 42lbs kind there is only one kind available. John Deere Part Number (PN) R66949. Instead of buying them from HomeDepot or Lowe's you really should support you local John Deere dealer by purchasing your weights and required brackets from them. These item are a part of the Sales Dept. and not the Parts Dept.

Kenneth

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll get to my dealer this week to see if a bracket can be ordered, and let everyone know how I make out.
    3320 w/ Imatch, 300CX, 375 BH, 5' box blade, b box
    X748 w/ 62C & 54C deck, 47" blower w/quick hitch
    2025R w/Imatch, R120, RC2048, 60D w/ind. lift, 54" blade w/quick hitch, Frontier grapple
    590M w/winch, maxxis, roof

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    02-15-2018 @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks
    I do support my dealer as much as possible as long as the dealer price is somewhere close to what is offered elsewhere. However, there are times when it is not practical or financialy feasible. For an example, a bushing kit from the dealer is $60 but if you check the threads on this forum you can find the exact same bushings for $11. To me, that is not reasonable especially since I wanted 6 kits. Another example would be the lighting kit (front and back). The lights can be bought for quite a bit less than what the dealer price is according to one of the threads on this forum. Having said that, I bought my kit from the dealer as he has treated me well......but I was tempted.
    2520; JD ballast box; BX42 Chipper; BB2060 box blade; 200CX FEL; iMatch; JD 54" blower; SS1067B spreader; Ken's Grab Hooks; JD front and rear worklight kit c/w Artillian Worklight horse blinders; Artillian Forks; Artillian Caster Carts; X-series seat and suspension with upgraded springs; Piranha toothbar

X740 ; 60D 7-iron deck with mulch kit; Brinley Aerator; De-thatcher; Ohio Steel 920 lb. Roller; JD 25 gallon sprayer; Brinley 17p cart; Custom hazard lights

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-05-2012 @ 10:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KBear View Post
    Regarding John Deere Lawn and Garden tractor suitcase weights of the 42lbs kind there is only one kind available. John Deere Part Number (PN) R66949. Instead of buying them from HomeDepot or Lowe's you really should support you local John Deere dealer by purchasing your weights and required brackets from them. These item are a part of the Sales Dept. and not the Parts Dept.Kenneth
    they actually have also avail a 72lb suit case weight, they are in the impliment catalog.......
    X728
    54" MMM
    54" QH BLADE
    47" QH BLOWER
    3pt HITCH

1026R
    60" AUTO CONNECT MMM
    54" QH BLADE
    3PT 45gal SPRAYER

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements