Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: John Deere Model 425 will not start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-08-2018 @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks

John Deere Model 425 will not start

Hi, new guy here! I have a model 425 that will not start at all. Story goes this spring I couldn't get the mower to engage, even replaced the PTO switch. My old farmer neighbor came up to go over it, he couldn't figure out what was wrong either. So he takes to a reputable dealer to get repaired. After 2 weeks he comes back with it, now the mower runs. I noticed right away there was a problem getting it started, a problem that I didn't have before going to the shop. I finally got it started, it ran for afew minutes and stopped; haven't been able to get it started since. I see the shop replaced the circuit board and almost all the wiring and new plugs. I can't even get it to puff using starter fluid, so I'm thinking something electrical has gone wrong. This really gets me mad considering the $347.00 repair bill! If I had a trailer I'd take it right back to them and complain. The neighbor doesn't seem to want to help again as I've asked him numerous times? Anyway, any body here know what I can try to get it going again? I appreciate any help. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 10-11-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: edied title

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-18-2017 @ 06:15 PM
    Thanks

425 no start

Quote Originally Posted by Bear48 View Post
    Hi, new guy here! I have a model 425 that will not start at all. Story goes this spring I couldn't get the mower to engage, even replaced the PTO switch. My old farmer neighbor came up to go over it, he couldn't figure out what was wrong either. So he takes to a reputable dealer to get repaired. After 2 weeks he comes back with it, now the mower runs. I noticed right away there was a problem getting it started, a problem that I didn't have before going to the shop. I finally got it started, it ran for afew minutes and stopped; haven't been able to get it started since. I see the shop replaced the circuit board and almost all the wiring and new plugs. I can't even get it to puff using starter fluid, so I'm thinking something electrical has gone wrong. This really gets me mad considering the $347.00 repair bill! If I had a trailer I'd take it right back to them and complain. The neighbor doesn't seem to want to help again as I've asked him numerous times? Anyway, any body here know what I can try to get it going again? I appreciate any help. Thanks guys!
    Try the TDM (time delay module). Costs about $15, if that has not been replaced.
    Jd3x

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,417 Posts
    You might want to check the cam gear. The early model 425 and 445 had a plastic gear which was replaced by a steel gear. Mine went at around 800 hours if I recall correctly.

There are several threads on here about the cam gear.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    Igniters are a thought.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd3x View Post
    Try the TDM (time delay module). Costs about $15, if that has not been replaced.
    Jd3x
    Thanks! I'll first try this TDM. I visited another website and there was a post almost just like mine; they were advised the same thing about the TDM and it fixed their problem, hope it fixers mine! I ordered one off eBay and so far this seller sold 641 TDMs. Just were is this module located? I looked but didn't see anything like that resembled the one pictured on eBay. Thanks for all your replies guys!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll first try this TDM. I visited another website and there was a post almost just like mine; they were advised the same thing about the TDM and it fixed their problem, hope it fixers mine! I ordered one off eBay and so far this seller sold 641 TDMs. Just were is this module located? I looked but didn't see anything like that resembled the one pictured on eBay. Thanks for all your replies guys!
    Oops , forgot to welcome you to this site. Some awesome suggestions and ideas plus solutions for our issues.

Anyway, the TDM is located on the left side of the engine . My original was a rectangular box mounted on the frame. The replacement is an odd shaped device with 5 leads. 2 yellow, 1 red, 1 black, & 1 orange. Part # is AM 1289060510. I just used a zip tie and secured it to the surrounding wiring.

Good Luck.........

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Welcome from West Virginia

Sounds like you have gotten some good info and working toward a fix.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I got the TDM and I still can't find it on the tractor?! I thought at first I found it, had the same amount of wires and colors, but I believe it's voltage rectifier. When you say left side of the frame, do you mean as you would be sitting on the tractor? Is it located under the tractor? This is driving me nuts!!!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

TDM location

Well, I got the TDM and I still can't find it on the tractor?! I thought at first I found it, had the same amount of wires and colors, but I believe it's voltage rectifier. When you say left side of the frame, do you mean as you would be sitting on the tractor? Is it located under the tractor? This is driving me nuts!!!
    The TDM is on the left side when sitting on the tractor. The original TDM is bolted on a bracket just above the rad hose where the thermostat is located.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd3x View Post
    The TDM is on the left side when sitting on the tractor. The original TDM is bolted on a bracket just above the rad hose where the thermostat is located.
    There is nothing bolted anywhere above the radiator hose, under it is that black box- SHINDENGEN TL-91 which is a voltage regular? What am I NOT seeing here??
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast