Like Tree9Likes

Thread: X500 - 48" deck getting hard to start

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts

X500 - 48" deck getting hard to start

I've had my X500 w/48" deck for two seasons now. I normally engage the mower deck at about 1/2 throttle but it will start up even at idle.

The weather is turning a bit cooler and I've been mulching leaves a couple times a week and have been noticing the deck is getting very hard to start.

Last weekend I went out to do some mulching, started it up and let the engine warm a bit and upon engaging the blades at 1/2 throttle it stalled the engine. Restart, try 3/4 throttle - stall. Now I'm scratching my head. Finally I give it full throttle and the deck starts but not without some effort.

This scenario has repeated several times this past week.

Once the deck is running and I finish mulching I can shut the deck off, reduce the throttle to idle, re-engage the deck and it will start right up with no engine loading at all. I can do it over and over.

It's like after it sits a few days the deck gets tight or something.

I checked under the deck and it is completely clean. Turning the blades by hand they don't seem any tighter than usual. Next step is to remove the deck, undo the belts and see if everything turns nice and free.

I keep the deck greased regularly and never use water on it. I blow it off with a leaf blower after every use.

Anyone experience anything similar? I don't recall having this issue last fall while mulching.
    Last edited by jgayman; 10-27-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    My L130 hesitates to engage the mower this time of year too. I chalked it up to the engine needing more warm up time in colder weather, that and rubber belts and a bit stiffer and grease in the mower spindles may be a bit thicker in the cold too.

Start your X500 and let it idle a while, get on it throttle up and drive it around a bit, 5 minutes or so to fully warm the engine and then engage the deck and see if it's any different.

You could also store it warm or warm it up before you start it so see if that makes any difference.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Not sure what your manual says for your x500 ,but for the x585 engage mower at FULL THROTTLE and disengage mower at FULL THROTTLE.

Just saying.. check your manual.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Pull the deck and check your idler pulley. They put some plastic bushings on the idler pulley instead of bearings and they'll wear over time. When they warm up they are a little more flexible but may bind when cold.
    etcallhome likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

jgayman (10-27-2015)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Not sure what your manual says for your x500 ,but for the x585 engage mower at FULL THROTTLE and disengage mower at FULL THROTTLE.

Just saying.. check your manual.
    Yes, it does say that but I never do. :-)

The manual for my old JD 175 Hydro said the same thing. I had that tractor for over 25 years and not a lick of trouble with the PTO clutch.

Never did understand the whole full throttle thing.

Can anyone offer a reason that might change my mind? :-)
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    jgayman, why don't u check ur battery the next time before u start the tractor. my dad's 318 was kinda the way ur saying, if I tried to flip mower on at idle it would kill the motor and battery lite would come on. try the 2nd time with more throttle and it would work, well the battery was pretty old, so I replaced it and that solved it. so I'm thinking that ur battery is losing some of it's charge but not enough to not start it, but enough that at slower motor speed when enguaging mower deck it kills the motor, u said after mowing with it u can start it at a idle, so I'm assuming the battery is recharged by then, good luck, big jim

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    jgayman, why don't u check ur battery the next time before u start the tractor. my dad's 318 was kinda the way ur saying, if I tried to flip mower on at idle it would kill the motor and battery lite would come on. try the 2nd time with more throttle and it would work, well the battery was pretty old, so I replaced it and that solved it. so I'm thinking that ur battery is losing some of it's charge but not enough to not start it, but enough that at slower motor speed when enguaging mower deck it kills the motor, u said after mowing with it u can start it at a idle, so I'm assuming the battery is recharged by then, good luck, big jim
    I will certainly check that but I'm thinking it's probably not the battery. It's only 2 years old and I just bought one of those new wiz-bang electronic battery testers so I've been checking all my wet cells and the X500's battery is showing in tip top shape.

But I will check the voltage prior to starting the next time.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yes, it does say that but I never do. :-)

The manual for my old JD 175 Hydro said the same thing. I had that tractor for over 25 years and not a lick of trouble with the PTO clutch.

Never did understand the whole full throttle thing.

Can anyone offer a reason that might change my mind? :-)
    Full throttle mowing does many things better than trying it at less.

Full throttle allows the mower the most power for the task, instead of hunting and starving for power at less.
    Full throttle allows the most cooling for the engine and for the transmission as there is more airflow (fan) and oil movement at higher throttle speeds.

They're designed that way and the manual tells you to operate them that way, unless there is an update or a good, sound, reason NOT TO, I would follow the manual.
    etcallhome and tletourneau like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Full throttle mowing does many things better than trying it at less.

Full throttle allows the mower the most power for the task, instead of hunting and starving for power at less.
    Full throttle allows the most cooling for the engine and for the transmission as there is more airflow (fan) and oil movement at higher throttle speeds.

They're designed that way and the manual tells you to operate them that way, unless there is an update or a good, sound, reason NOT TO, I would follow the manual.
    I believe he's talking about engaging the PTO at full throttle, not necessarily mowing.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I believe he's talking about engaging the PTO at full throttle, not necessarily mowing.
    Yep - I always mow at WOT... want the highest blade speed I can get.

It looks like this may be related to the engine being warmed up. I had some stuff to haul in my trailer prior to this weekends mulching session and after driving around for about 15-mins the deck seemed to start up much better. I did check the battery and everything seemed fine.

I guess I just never noticed it last season.
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast