1997 LX 188 will only run at lowest throttle and dies frequently, leaks fuel

Thread: 1997 LX 188 will only run at lowest throttle and dies frequently, leaks fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-29-2015 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks

1997 LX 188 will only run at lowest throttle and dies frequently, leaks fuel

Hey everyone, new to the forum and hoping to get some great advice.

I have a 1997 LX 188 with the 17HP Kawasaki liquid cooled OHV V-Twin.

All summer i would be cutting grass for about 30-45 minutes when all of a sudden the motor would just die. It would start again after a few minutes.

Most recently, I can only start it/keep it running if i have the throttle all the way down. If i increase throttle at all, the motor dies.

I checked the fuel solenoid since i have heard its a common problem. Mine seems to be working fine, i can hear/feel it click when i turn key on.

I also noticed that the automatic choke is closed when i can keep it running, well after the engine should be warm, it is still closed. If i manually move the choke lever fast, the motor dies. If i move it slow, the motor revs up and then dies. This is the inner butterfly that is closed. I could not get the outer one to move at all with the throttle lever. The only way it will move is if i move it with my hand. Not sure if something is missing from the assembly or what.

Also, the entire time the motor is running, it is pouring gas out the overflow tube. Not just a drip, pretty much a steady stream. I put a pan under it to catch it and it probably leaked a good cup of gas in a matter of 5 minutes. Leaks even worse after i shut motor off.

Looking for pretty much any advice on this. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Never heard of a lawnmower having an automatic choke. Usually there is a separate lever for it. If you remove the air cleaner first blade you see is for the choke. The one behind it controls the throttle. I would start by looking into the fuel leak. Can you post some pictures of where the fuel is leaking from? One things for sure a fuel leak will burn your tractor to the ground.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-29-2015 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    It is leaking from the overflow tube that comes out of the carb and hangs down under the motor behind crossmember behind the exhaust. I say automatic/electric choke because when you put the throttle lever all the way up, its supposed to choke it when its cold im assuming, because when it was running good you could put the throttle lever all the way up and it doesnt kill the motor when its warm so it must not choke it. There is only one lever by the steering wheel, these is no separate lever for choke on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    Here's a link with a similar issue and the resolution for the gas out of the overflow tube is addressed in post 13 of the string.

LX188 leaking gas out overflow tube on carb - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

I'd start there.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Wilks44, are you registered on JD Parts? If so, write down the engine model number so you can look at the right carburetor and governor linkage for your model. The number should be on a paper tag on the left side of the plastic fan shroud. The engine number will be something like FD501V-AS00. The last 4 digits could be BS00, CS00, or something different.
    Then look up the governor linkage for your model. Are all the springs and wire links still on your carb. that are shown in the JD drawings.
    The only LX188 I've worked on is a '93 version. The choke plate is operated by a wire link which closes it with the throttle lever all the way up, and opens it when the throttle lever is lowered about 1/4" from full up. There are some adjustments in the throttle bracket and the cable attachment to make all work at the right time. If the throttle lever does not open and close the choke plate in this manner, something is missing, bent, or misadjusted. I don't think there is much difference in the actual operation of the choke, throttle, and governor linkages on newer models of this engine. As near as I can tell all models have manually operated chokes plates.
    One has to be rather agile and patient to remove and replace one of these carbs. and not bend or distort the wire links. Springs are fun too. Especially if you wear bifocals!
    Possibly the fuel leak is the flooding carb. over filling because the choke plate is not working properly. I'm not positive about this, but I believe the overflow tube at the top also serves as the bowl vent. At any rate, as mentioned, the leakage must be resolved to avoid fire from fuel getting on the hot muffler or pipes. Good luck, ask more questions and let us know what you find.

tommyhawk

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements