X758 plowing/mowing and light box blade work.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: X758 plowing/mowing and light box blade work.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-01-2016 @ 05:28 PM
    Thanks

X758 plowing/mowing and light box blade work.

I'm looking to upgrade in the spring and I don't believe a 1 series is for me. I mow a flat 3.5 acres and my gravel driveway is about 160x40ft.

Currently I maintain it with a 212, it has a snowblower, 47 deck and a craftsman sleeve hitch that I grade the driveway with.

Id rather not go the snowblower route again and was wondering if a 758 will handle the snow of a minnesota winter.

I've also read that it's about $1300 to add a 3 pt and PTO so that's not too much.

The PTO would be used for a 3 pt sprayer and I'd like to use a box blade to level the driveway and grade sections of my lawn.

Would this be too much to ask from this lawn tractor, or should I consider other options?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'd be hesitant to call a 758 a "lawn tractor".

People do more than what you're asking with much smaller machines. Since you say you don't want to go the blower route, I'm assuming you'll go with a plow? A 758 can certainly do that. It's more a matter of the amount of time and where you have to put the snow.

If someone is in an area with a lot of snow, then as long as you can push the snowbanks back off of the driveway, you are usually good to go. When I lived up in Northern Maine, we used to plow all the way across the yard early in the season. As the winter went on, the entire yard would end up 6' high in snow. If you made the mistake of just pushing to the edge of the driveway for the first couple of storms you were sunk after that.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I'd be hesitant to call a 758 a "lawn tractor".

People do more than what you're asking with much smaller machines. Since you say you don't want to go the blower route, I'm assuming you'll go with a plow? A 758 can certainly do that. It's more a matter of the amount of time and where you have to put the snow.

If someone is in an area with a lot of snow, then as long as you can push the snowbanks back off of the driveway, you are usually good to go. When I lived up in Northern Maine, we used to plow all the way across the yard early in the season. As the winter went on, the entire yard would end up 6' high in snow. If you made the mistake of just pushing to the edge of the driveway for the first couple of storms you were sunk after that.
    Correct it would be with a plow.

I called it a lawn tractor to make a point that it's not a SCUT.

I have plenty of area to push the snow and have thought about that, we sometimes get some really wet snow and I'm not sure if it will be an issue with pushing it? We get an average of 40" of snow.

If anybody here uses a 54" front blade how many weights have you used?
    Last edited by 1977212; 11-04-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Proper terminology is "garden tractor". When is a Lawn Mower a Lawn Mower? :: John Deere TechTalk – The Source for John Deere Technical Information

A lawn tractor is design for mowing primarily with light snow duty as secondary. A garden tractor is designed to handle ground engaging equipment other than a snow blade, i.e. moldboard plows, tillers, cultivators, disks, box blades, etc.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    It would handle easy what you plan to do x758 is a super garden tractor, 3pt hitch and pto is very good to have, but i would buy the scut
    636mullet, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-28-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    I have an x758 and it's a great machine and the reason I chose it was because I didn't need a 3pt or rear pto since I already have a 4120 cut. Since you want a 3 pt hitch w/pto you're going to be in the same price range and possibly slightly less cost getting a scut. I looked really hard at both options before I purchased my x758, but if I planned on having a 3 pt hitch to run implements on it would have been a no brainer for me to get a scut.
    Levi, BigJim55 and tletourneau like this.
    2007 4120 hydro w/400cx loader w/73" hd bucket and forks, 448 backhoe, MX-6 brush cutter, 673 tiller, Woods/Gannon 72" rollover boxscraper, 72" Land Pride rear blade with tilt
    2013 758 w/60" HC mower deck w/14 bushel power flow and Jamison Bryce click and go storage cart

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-30-2018 @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCSS View Post
    I have an x758 and it's a great machine and the reason I chose it was because I didn't need a 3pt or rear pto since I already have a 4120 cut. Since you want a 3 pt hitch w/pto you're going to be in the same price range and possibly slightly less cost getting a scut. I looked really hard at both options before I purchased my x758, but if I planned on having a 3 pt hitch to run implements on it would have been a no brainer for me to get a scut.
    I would be on board with BigCSS here. The 3-point operation of the SCUT is much more usable than on the X. On the X Series, there is no "in-between" settings for the 3-point. It is either all the way up or all the way down. With the 1 Series, you can adjust and hold the 3-point at any level within its travel limit. That will be much better for a blade operation or any other implement you want on back.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2007 JD 2520

62d Deck, 14 Bushel Material Collection System, I-Match Quickhitch, Independant Lift, 200cx Loader, 47" Front-Mount Snow Blower, 14k KW 3-point Genetaror, 60 Gallon 3-point Sprayer, 655 3-point tiller, 60" 3-point Blade

See how to connect your JD Material Collection System directly to the I-Match!!! Check this out! http://www.jamisonbryce.com/

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lang View Post
    I would be on board with BigCSS here. The 3-point operation of the SCUT is much more usable than on the X. On the X Series, there is no "in-between" settings for the 3-point. It is either all the way up or all the way down. With the 1 Series, you can adjust and hold the 3-point at any level within its travel limit. That will be much better for a blade operation or any other implement you want on back.
    Correct buying the 1025r not the 1023e..

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments. With x series you have a gas engine , and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.
    You have a diesel uses less fuel doing the same job as your gas engine.
    I have owned both, just finished mowing with a x585 (not mine) I prefer the 1025r hands down.

My advice, go to a dealer , try both , the attachments you want, try them if you can. Over the past 15 yrs I seen a lot of people go and buy a smaller machine and within 6mo to a yr they are sorry and buying the bigger machine.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Randy Lang, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Correct buying the 1025r not the 1023e..

From what I'm reading and what you intend to do and the price of a x758 versus 1023e ,may be $50.00 cheaper . Having a x will do what you are wanting to do .But you will be limited to class 0 attachments can not use class 1 attachments x's have a cat 1 hitches With x series you have a gas engine you can get diesel, and single speed for transaxle. For series 1 you have the choice of Low or High range ,saves tearing out the transaxle doing some things you shouldn't have been doing.
    You have a diesel uses less fuel doing the same job as your gas engine.
    I have owned both, just finished mowing with a x585 (not mine) I prefer the 1025r hands down.

My advice, go to a dealer , try both , the attachments you want, try them if you can. Over the past 15 yrs I seen a lot of people go and buy a smaller machine and within 6mo to a yr they are sorry and buying the bigger machine.
    Just my 2 cents.
    red mine.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you all.

is there any way to add position controll to a 3 point so there's more options than all the way up or down? Can it still apply down pressure?

It wouldn't bother me to use a box blade and then finish it with a drag mat for leveling.

I want a tractor with a diesel as these motors are good for about 5000 hours.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast