• 2 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By gittyup

Thread: 2014 John Deere x738 Service Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-10-2015 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks

Question 2014 John Deere x738 Service Question

My 2014 x738 tractor is the first tractor I have ever owned. Before that, it has been push movers. I have had the tractor for 1 year and it now has 45 hours on it. I use it for both mowing and snow blowing. Up until this point, I have only had the 8 hour service performed. I am now getting ready to perform the 50 hour service on it before we get our first snow. While I was looking in the owners manual, Deere recommends customers perform services every 100 hours (or annually) and services and every 200 hours (or annually). I am not all that mechanically inclined so I would rather the dealer perform the work. However if I follow the operators manual to the letter, that means I have to perform the 50, 100 (or annual) and the 200 (or annual) hour service this time around which adds up to about $400!!! Do I really need to perform all of this on a tractor with 45 hours on it?

Gus V.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 671 Posts
    Gus, short answer is, all you need to do at this time is the 50 hour and the annual service. Not all annual service over laps with the hour service intervals. Hope this answers your question.

And welcome to GTT!
    Last edited by RandyM; 11-10-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added welcome
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Motor oil & filter should be changed at 8 hours then every 100 hours after that. If your not putting on 100 or more hours a year do it annually. Low use builds up more contaminants in the oil so it needs to be changed more often.
    The transmission hydrolic oil & filter should be done at 50 hours then every 200 hours after that. Would recommend changing it every other year at least.
    The first service is just to remove any metal particles that may be floating around from parts breaking in.
    Engine coolant should be changed every 4-5 years regardless of hours.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 11-11-2015 at 03:59 AM.
    etcallhome likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Engine coolant should be changed every 4-5 years regardless of hours.
    This is the annual schedule according to the manual:
    Every 12 Months

• Change engine oil and filter.
    • Check fan belt tension.
    • Check and clean battery.
    • Lubricate steering spindles, axle pivot, steering cylinder, and engine driveshaft.
    • Check the hydraulic full time 4-wheel drive (HFWD) oil level.
    • Check tire pressure.
    • Check and tighten clamps for cooling and air intake system.
    • Change fuel filter.
    • Change air cleaner elements.
    • Replace spark plugs.

Every 24 Months

• Change engine coolant.
    • Test or replace radiator cap. (See your John Deere Dealer for this service.)
    RandyM and etcallhome like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,470 Posts
    If you can remove a oil and transaxle filter, two drain plugs no need to do these at the same time, pour the oil and hyd oil in transaxle . Your more than 1/2 way done. Get a grease gun , grease the 6-10 grease fittings , check the rest of the items on the list ,guessing 2-3 hs total . your done and a big savings for your wallet.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    Learn to do this yourself. It isn't complicated at all: Pull a plug, open a petcock, catch the fluids, pour in new fluids, replace spin-off filters, and grease a few zerks. Otherwise, open your wallet and deal with the inconveniences of transport and down time. Maybe you can pay a mechanic to walk you through it the first time, if you are afraid you'll do something wrong.

The difference between those who can and those who can't is mostly a willingness to expend the effort to try. A lot of guys say "I can't do that", regardless of whether we are talking painting a room, fixing a faucet, or working on a tractor. What they are really saying is "I don't want to even try to do that". Then off to the gold course they go. That's OK, but you pay more every time you aren't willing to do more. In some ways it's a lifestyle choice.
    etcallhome likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements