Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 425 won't start after running out of gas

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-22-2015 @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks

425 won't start after running out of gas

Hi. The other day, my 425 AWS was running low on fuel, and apparently ran out. It surged a few times, then quit. I added a little fuel to the tank, but it would not fire. It actually sounds different now, turning over, than it did before. Feels too easy.

Anyway, I changed the fuel filter and verified good flow from the pump. The fuel looks OK, and plenty of flow. The spark plugs are too old and needing a change, but they were dry, so not flooded. I've tried pouring a small amount of fuel in the carb, but no popping.

I have not yet verified that there is spark, but will do that this weekend. I don't hear the fuel solenoid snapping in with the ignition key, and wonder if there is a way to bypass it to see if that is the problem. Does air need to be bled between the fuel filter and the carb? If so, how does one do that?

How do I know if the Kawasaki has a plastic cam shaft, and if it is still good?

Any other thoughts? I really want to get this thing going before the snow flies, as it is what is needed to clear the driveway. The local dealership can't even look at it for three weeks.

Thanks in advance. It is my first post on the forum, so I hope my questions weren't too dumb.
    Bill in MN

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Hang in there- Someone will post more helpful info than I can on your problem. But you did say one thing which needs more attention. You said if felt too easy when you tried to start it? If there is no resistance or too easy to turn over, you may also have a compression problem. No compression or too low compression will not allow you to start. Then you said your plugs were dry. Sounds like a fuel flow problem. I'm sorry for my lame answer here to your question. I don't know your 425 machine.

Dealer service. I hear you there. My dealer has had my 855 utility tractor in the shop for over a month now & still not repaired yet. Too much work & not enough experienced shop mechanics. I asked my dealer if I could bring my tools there & work on it myself. I'm trying to start a barn building project & I'm screwed without my tractor. I don't have snow to push around. Just a lot of post holes & grading work. Now I'm screwed on getting this barn up any time soon. Good luck
    BigJim55 and BillG like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddog For This Useful Post:

BillG (11-20-2015)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    No compression or too low compression will not allow you to start.
    Thanks, Maddog. I appreciate your response. On the way home tonight, I got a compression tester, so will be able to tell if it is my imagination. Also got an inline spark plug tester. I'm thinking it is a fuel flow issue, too - maybe the shut-off solenoid, or something air bound, but will eliminate the other things, too.
    BigJim55 likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Parts Catalog doesn't give a serial number or manufacturing year for the break when the steel timing gear began and replaced the plastic gear. My 445 was bought new in late 1995 and had the plastic gear if that helps.

How many hours does your tractor have. I think most of the plastic gears failed around 800 hours.

Someone will be along with a more definite answer for you before too long.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Parts Catalog doesn't give a serial number or manufacturing year for the break when the steel timing gear began and replaced the plastic gear. My 445 was bought new in late 1995 and had the plastic gear if that helps.

How many hours does your tractor have. I think most of the plastic gears failed around 800 hours.
    Thanks, DRobinson. Right now, a little over 800 hours, so it is due.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    From what I've read, 1998 and up should have the steel cam gear from the factory. That may be the engine manufacture year or the tractor. Older models came with the plastic gear. The compression test should tell you, but a sure way is to remove one of the rocker covers and crank the engine. If the rockers ain't rockin', the cam ain't rollin'!
    Replacement is not a difficult job if you have any experience with engine work and purchase the service manual for the Kawasaki liquid cooled engines. Replacing the plastic oil pump gear and the governor gear assembly at the same time is good insurance. On the vertical shaft engines, I always replace the coolant pump too, because they require engine removal to do. Not a problem with your horizontal shaft model however. Normally a broken cam gear does not damage anything else in these engines. I hope though, that it is something less serious for you this time. Keep us posted.

tommyhawk
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and BillG like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Here's the model and serial number breakout for the Kawasaki plastic cam gear along with the part numbers needed to repair.

John Deere Models 425, 445, F911 and 6X4 Gator Kawasaki FD620D Camshaft Replacement :: John Deere TechTalk – The Source for John Deere Technical Information

Tom
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and BillG like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

BillG (11-20-2015), dieselshadow (11-20-2015), tommyhawk (11-21-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, Tommyhawk and Tom. Looking at the serial number, it looks like I have a 1995 model, so probably does have the plastic cam.
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I owned a 425 for nearly 20 years. Ran out of gas many times. Never had any sort of vapor lock or need for air purging. It would be weird to run out of gas and have the CAM fail at the same time. My CAM failed at 998 hours. Not too bad to do yourself, but I do recommend replacing water pump while in there. It's just easier to do it while you have it apart and isn't all that expensive.

You may have sucked dirt into the fuel pump when you ran it dry and caused the fuel pump to fail. Change your fuel filter or drain it. The filter crucible should fill up when the key is turned to the on position. If it does your pump is working and barring a tubing break or block, there's nothing else between there and the carb. It's also easy to remove the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel is coming out. Cracks in the fuel lines leading to the carb can also cause problems with fuel draw. There are some fuses on the circuit board in the dash that you should check too.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
    I owned a 425 for nearly 20 years. Ran out of gas many times. Never had any sort of vapor lock or need for air purging. It would be weird to run out of gas and have the CAM fail at the same time. My CAM failed at 998 hours. Not too bad to do yourself, but I do recommend replacing water pump while in there. It's just easier to do it while you have it apart and isn't all that expensive.

You may have sucked dirt into the fuel pump when you ran it dry and caused the fuel pump to fail. Change your fuel filter or drain it. The filter crucible should fill up when the key is turned to the on position. If it does your pump is working and barring a tubing break or block, there's nothing else between there and the carb. It's also easy to remove the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel is coming out. Cracks in the fuel lines leading to the carb can also cause problems with fuel draw. There are some fuses on the circuit board in the dash that you should check too.
    Thanks, Gittyup. I did change the fuel filter just prior to this happening, and pulled the line off to test flow after it quit. Fuel flowed quite well into a jar.
    BigJim55 likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast