• 1 Post By TOTALCHAOS
  • 5 Post By 56Nine

Thread: Hood options...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks

Hood options...

I know most everyone else with a LX188 is missing the original hood.
    What creative and/or insane alternatives for a replacement hood are out there?
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTALCHAOS View Post
    Perhaps something like this? It has it all, cheep, effective and an complimentary horsepower increase. No? But you have admit it is creative and in this day and age of upcycling, you'd be doing the local landfill a favor!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheep_n_effective.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	99857

Sorry, I couldn't resist... I get a little punchy on any day that ends in a "Y". Good luck with your search. I'd hit ebay and/or craigslist.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ha! That's pretty damn sWiffy! I dig it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    The Deere large, one piece fiberglass hoods (I think they were actually a composite material) are tough to find in the used market and often the ones I have seen are really rough. Replacement costs through Deere are unreasonably high........Depending upon your fabrication skills, you could try and make one out of light weight metal, but that front pivot hinge mounting point on something with the hood and full sides seems like one of Deere's poorer design ideas on such a large piece.

From time to time I have seen Lx series on Craigslist where they are parting them out and the occasional one has a hood, but other than that, it looks like custom fabrication time. Ventilation is probably the most important part if you make anything. I have noticed even the new X series tractors have more air flow vents, etc., than their predecessors.........

There are businesses who part out Deere lawn tractors and sell used parts. Perhaps with the right dimensions, you could find something else which might work but it certainly is going to take some fabrication skills.

I guess it wouldn't hurt and wouldn't cost anything for you to run a Wanted to Buy ad on Craigslist for a hood and maybe the businesses which part out the Deere L&G may find you or you may find the 5% who own the LX188 with an original hood............It's worth a try

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Replacement costs through Deere are unreasonably high........

Unreasonably is a big word but its not enough adjective to describe a $600-700 shell of brittle crap... John Deere should be ashamed for that design and the designer should have been transferred to Siberia to test snow blowers. Every time a hood breaks, they should replace it for free. And with a damn hood that wont break! At least a 10 year replacement guarantee.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    One thing I did and recommend anyone who has a plastic hood to do... I removed the plastic hood latches that hold the hood shut and make it so you have to force it to open. You don't even need them and all they do is put extra stress on the plastic hood. I am surprised there isn't any aftermarket company making replacement lawn/garden tractor hoods. Any material would be better than plastic or atleast use a more durable or flexible plastic like what ATV plastic is made out of.
    98 John Deere 345

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    When I got mine it was already gone so I don't know how it works. I swapped my LX188 for a YFZ450 with no motor. It was too good to pass up.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-31-2016 @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks

Hood options

I had the same problem and assessed the life expectancy and condition of my tractor and decided to bite the bullet and bought a hood on the internet for approx. $425. without decals. I figured the tractor was worth reconditioning rather than purchasing a different one. I have since learned to be more careful when I open/close the hood to prevent cracking. I also reinforced the area that I grab to open the hood with 1/8 inch fiberglass. So far, so good.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements