X series diesel owners... Check you radiator hoses!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: X series diesel owners... Check you radiator hoses!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks

X series diesel owners... Check you radiator hoses!

My '13 x758 developed a coolant puddle under it one day, so I investigated. As I was checking over the hoses, I found the culprit. A misplaced and loose upper clamp on the lower radiator hose at the thermostat housing was it. However, I also found the head of a bolt on the front of the engine accessory drive cover, just in front of the fuel pump, had rubbed almost completely through the same hose. So in the interest of saving someone some money if they're near the end of their 4 year/700 hour warranty, figured I'd give you all a heads up so you can go check. I was installing a block heater anyway, so instead of screwing around taking the tractor in to the dealer, they just gave me the hose and I brought my old one in, installed it myself. Honestly, it takes longer for the coolant to drain than it does to change the hose. But one thing to note; I did end up trimming about 1" off the lower end of the hose. The new hose was slightly longer at the bottom and left the first bend too close for comfort to the motor mount bolt. The hose in question is #3 in the link. (crappy picture, but it's that one.) Also of note, the new hose doesn't really fit any better than the old one, so I positioned it the best I could and ziptied it in 2 spots to the main harness running down the radiator shroud. First pic I attached is the hose in reference to the engine. Second pic is the damage and bolt head.

Edit: Sorry, just realized it uploaded my pics rotated 90 degrees.

OEM Parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3968.jpg   IMG_3972.JPG  
    Last edited by 6shooter; 12-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6shooter For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (12-22-2015), Gizmo2 (12-28-2015), Zebrafive (12-22-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Good catch.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe you can "armor" it with some of the convoluted loom (if you can find large enough diameter)
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was thinkin of using the hose armor I put on my plow lines on that radiator hose but the zip ties worked out just fine.

8. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post
    My '13 x758 developed a coolant puddle under it one day, so I investigated. As I was checking over the hoses, I found the culprit. A misplaced and loose upper clamp on the lower radiator hose at the thermostat housing was it. However, I also found the head of a bolt on the front of the engine accessory drive cover, just in front of the fuel pump, had rubbed almost completely through the same hose. So in the interest of saving someone some money if they're near the end of their 4 year/700 hour warranty, figured I'd give you all a heads up so you can go check. I was installing a block heater anyway, so instead of screwing around taking the tractor in to the dealer, they just gave me the hose and I brought my old one in, installed it myself. Honestly, it takes longer for the coolant to drain than it does to change the hose. But one thing to note; I did end up trimming about 1" off the lower end of the hose. The new hose was slightly longer at the bottom and left the first bend too close for comfort to the motor mount bolt. The hose in question is #3 in the link. (crappy picture, but it's that one.) Also of note, the new hose doesn't really fit any better than the old one, so I positioned it the best I could and ziptied it in 2 spots to the main harness running down the radiator shroud. First pic I attached is the hose in reference to the engine. Second pic is the damage and bolt head.

OEM Parts
    You are not alone my friend, I had a leak too and found all the hose clamps were not tight enough to hold a fart! I moved the radiator hose away from the bolt and put a piece of old radiator hose around the one I moved with two plastic zip-ties like you did and I believe it would have been a short period of time before it wore thru.. Mine may have been worse because the dealer connected a cab heater and I think they took a break and forget where they were! Great post.. and thanks for posting it. I mentioned this last winter about the hoses not being clamped enough, but good to see it again as a reminder.. If you have a new JD check everything you can including fluids and engine oil!
    dzldanz likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shooter View Post

OEM Parts

When I had my X748, hose clamps were all lose and started leaking. Became an annual maintenance thing.

Phil d
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    You are not alone my friend, I had a leak too and found all the hose clamps were not tight enough to hold a fart! I moved the radiator hose away from the bolt and put a piece of old radiator hose around the one I moved with two plastic zip-ties like you did and I believe it would have been a short period of time before it wore thru.. Mine may have been worse because the dealer connected a cab heater and I think they took a break and forget where they were! Great post.. and thanks for posting it. I mentioned this last winter about the hoses not being clamped enough, but good to see it again as a reminder.. If you have a new JD check everything you can including fluids and engine oil!
    Good preventative maintenance
    tj1 likes this.
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Thanks
    Loose hose clamps have been an on going problem not only on the L&G tractors but also on the larger AG tractors up into the 6 series. We beeched, griped and complained to lil avail. Now we just tighten them up at Pre delivery. Run em til hot and snug em up a lil more. We dyno all 3 series and above to check HP and cooling system, so we tighten at that time. X series get an hour run at WOT. Leak check and snug hose clamps. No problems so far.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    dzldanz and tj1 like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-18-2018 @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    The hoses must just shrink when new, no matter what machine it is. After I bought my motorcycle, same thing, it started leaking antifreeze. And yep, it was a loose radiator hose clamp! Hasn't leaked since.
    2008 LA135 Limited Edition

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I figure I'll run mine a while (if we ever get any damn snow to move) and make sure that hose is all set with placement and the clamps are still tight. I figure if it saves someone a dead tractor in the middle of their yard or driveway due to losing all the coolant from this hose, it's worth the advisory to check! I've looked at the hose a handful of times and it wasn't until I pulled it away from the block and twisted it a bit that I could see the damage. It was hiding good!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast