• 5 Post By Superglidesport
  • 2 Post By Chuckv

Thread: Considering a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel conversion for my JD 425

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-17-2017 @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks

Considering a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel conversion for my JD 425

Good Morning- I have an opportunity to purchase at a very reasonable price (less than $500.00) a Yanmar diesel out of a JD 455. The seller will include the radiator, mounts, gas tank, and anything else deemed necessary.Is there a difficult situation in doing this swap or is it pretty straight forward? The only downside would be that the tractor would no longer be stock, in the event that I wanted or needed to sell it at some point. Any ideas, suggestions or comments? Thanks, Paul
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Sounds like a very cool project to me. I'll be here to watch.

Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Sounds like a very cool project to me. I'll be here to watch.

I double that!!
    rtgt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    Good Morning- I have an opportunity to purchase at a very reasonable price (less than $500.00) a Yanmar diesel out of a JD 455. The seller will include the radiator, mounts, gas tank, and anything else deemed necessary.Is there a difficult situation in doing this swap or is it pretty straight forward? The only downside would be that the tractor would no longer be stock, in the event that I wanted or needed to sell it at some point. Any ideas, suggestions or comments? Thanks, Paul
    Sounds like quite the endeavor! If you're interested in upgrading to a diesel, are fairly handy and resourceful go for it. Do it for yourself and don't worry about resale value. That being said make sure you also get the complete wiring harness, instrument cluster and any controls, modules, relays and fuse block that's attached to it. You'll need them. Another thought would be to purchase the 455 donor and use any parts from your 425 to restore the 455. Might be easier in the long run. Then part out your 425 to recoup some costs.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Another thing to consider is the fuel system -- will you be getting the tank from the 455? A good way to do this swap analysis it to go onto JDParts and see what part numbers are unique for the two tractors (many parts in the chassis area will be common of course...) as these unique parts will highlight what you might encounter in the swap.

We all are very interested in seeing these projects, so post LOTS of pictures...

Chuck
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    I saw that engine also looked pretty good. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-17-2017 @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks

After much research and consideration .......

I have decided to cancel the Yanmar swap (Sorry Guys). The seller didn't have as many parts left over as I originally thought and sourcing all of those parts, especially the wiring harness and instrument cluster, could have gotten rather expensive . If my stock Kawasaki was giving me problems or had high mileage, it would be a different story. I think that I'm going to go the "practical route" and try to source a #40 FEL instead of a snowblower. Where I'm at, the snowblower attachments are selling for just over 2 grand whereas a #40 FEL is roughly 1800.00 or so. Suggestions? Thank you, Paul

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    I have decided to cancel the Yanmar swap (Sorry Guys). The seller didn't have as many parts left over as I originally thought and sourcing all of those parts, especially the wiring harness and instrument cluster, could have gotten rather expensive . If my stock Kawasaki was giving me problems or had high mileage, it would be a different story. I think that I'm going to go the "practical route" and try to source a #40 FEL instead of a snowblower. Where I'm at, the snowblower attachments are selling for just over 2 grand whereas a #40 FEL is roughly 1800.00 or so. Suggestions? Thank you, Paul
    Let me give you some solid advice. Don't do it. Simply buy the 455 with the diesel already in it.

The differences in parts are dramatic everything from the wiring harnesses and fuel systems to details such as even the driveshafts are different. Take it from someone who has torn down 455 and worked on them (to the bare frame) there aren't as many common parts on these two tractors as one might think. The electrical control systems are different, the diesel has injector pumps, the brackets are all different, it would be a bigger undertaking than you think.

The 445 and 455 are very readily available used and I would just find a used one to purchase. Just on my areas Craigslist there are 7 different 455's for sale from $2700 to $6,300 with only 500 original hours and it has a like new 60" mower.

The 40 FEL can be tougher to find. They do have a pretty limited lift based upon the size of the loader and the size of the tractor. If you are thinking snow removal, I have seen several quik tach mounts and the 54" blades complete for around $1,000. It all depends what you are trying to do.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements