Went Deere Hunting

Thread: Went Deere Hunting

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks

Went Deere Hunting

I went Deere hunting this evening and brought home these two R72s and an errant Lawn Boy. I don't know why I bought these, but only paid $75 for all three combined. I got the LB running and mowed a little with it. The R72s both turn over, but have no spark. I would like to get one of them running to give to my son-in-law for his small yard. The other one, I think, will run also when I figure out the non-spark issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0840.JPG   100_0841.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Good find T-Mo, I remember the old lawn boy TV commercials. The pitch was buy a lawn boy and never do another oil change. but they never mentioned it being a 2 cycle machine.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I had two other Lawn Boys - good mowers. Unfortunately you can't buy a new 2 cycle Lawn Boy and since Toro has owned them, the brand has sort of went down hill. I could easily sell the Lawn Boy probably close to what I have in these 3 mowers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    Nice find!

I had a model 66 for a while that I put an 8 HP Briggs in, nice little mowers.

Also used the engine from an R72 in my L60. I have a few leftover R72 parts, so if you need something, I might be able to help (no engine parts though). ~~ Lowell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

T-Mo (04-25-2012)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, Lowell. I might take you up on that offer. I got them home after 7 pm last evening and hadn't really messed with them yet. I did get them both to turn over and noticed neither has spark. Probably the points are corroded and need sanding down. The LB fired right up after I shot some starting fluid in it. It will probably need the carb cleaned. I'm sure both the R72s will also once I get fire. The forward one on the trailer has a new seat, though it's incorrect to this mower. The second one has been repainted with some weird dark green paint that's starting to chip off. The first one has a replacement engine on it while I'm sure the other one has the original Briggs on it.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Nice find! When I lived in Florida, I kept having problems with Briggs engines not getting spark. In my case, it was because the magnets in the flywheel kept rusting, even though I kept the mower in my garage. I had to pull the flywheel and sand the magnets and magneto core ends, and then regap the magneto using thickness cards supplied by Briggs. Had both a 5 hp and an 8 hp I?C that did the same thing. HTH.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenWannabe For This Useful Post:

T-Mo (04-25-2012)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I haven't messed with the rear engine riders yet, but the Lawn Boy started up pretty easy and seems to run okay. May need a carb cleaning. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or sell it or what. I found out it's sort of an uncommon model, but maybe not rare.

The darker green R72 (the rear one on the trailer in the pictures) is a 1985 by the serial number. The front one, the id tag is messed up right where the serial number is, so it could be anywhere from a 1984 to a 1986, which was the production run of the R7X series.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    I had two other Lawn Boys - good mowers. Unfortunately you can't buy a new 2 cycle Lawn Boy and since Toro has owned them, the brand has sort of went down hill. I could easily sell the Lawn Boy probably close to what I have in these 3 mowers.
    Did that have anything to do with Toro or the government? I think two cycles are just about outlawed in a lot of applications for emissions reasons.

I really dont know but assumed thats why.

My grandparents had a lawnboy in the 70s and it was really a nice push mower. Quiet and lots of power. Electric start too
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RRMCCABE View Post
    Did that have anything to do with Toro or the government? I think two cycles are just about outlawed in a lot of applications for emissions reasons.

I really dont know but assumed thats why.

My grandparents had a lawnboy in the 70s and it was really a nice push mower. Quiet and lots of power. Electric start too
    I'm sure it was more of an EPA thing. Toro has owned Lawn Boy since the late 80s and has kept the 2 cycle engines in production until just a few years ago. Toro also bought Wheel Horse back in '86 and kept the line going until about 5 years ago when they stop production on all their lawn and garden tractors and contracted MTD to build new ones with the Toro name on it. Toro still makes their zero turns and walk behind mowers and also owns Exmark. Toro and Exmark zero turns share a lot of parts since Toro owns both.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-23-2019 @ 03:55 PM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    My grandmother owned two Lawnboys back in the 60's and 70's and I use to mow her lawn with both of them. They were both self propelled and of course were 2 cycle. I never had any problem with them. They always started right up.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements