Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hard starting x730- cold

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-21-2016 @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks

Hard starting x730- cold

Had this problem last year dealer checked it out,and found nothing.what would cause this thing to crank for 10 seconds on cold starts.and then it spits and spudders most of the time some back firing for the first five seconds and then it's runs fine.would the fuel pump leaking back cause this.if I use the tractor with in 24 hours of a cold start,it starts right up and runs fine no back firing or anything.could some x700 owners chime in on there cold winter starts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickzone View Post
    Had this problem last year dealer checked it out,and found nothing.what would cause this thing to crank for 10 seconds on cold starts.and then it spits and spudders most of the time some back firing for the first five seconds and then it's runs fine.would the fuel pump leaking back cause this.if I use the tractor with in 24 hours of a cold start,it starts right up and runs fine no back firing or anything.could some x700 owners chime in on there cold winter starts.
    Hi Slickzone, My X738 does the same thing and has since new. Warm, no problems at all, just when it's cold like below 40 degrees. Dealer said it's the gas engines that do that and allowable.. What I do now is start the tractor with maybe half throttle. It clears the sputtering and black soot in seconds then runs smooth.. I use good gas, change the spark plugs regularly do my six month maintenance, (even though it is under the recommended hours deal) so what else its there to do? I know with a carburetor and choke this does not occur like my Husky, starts right up and never sputters but this EFI ???? And the ten seconds of turning over, same thing... I had the chance to go the diesel route but elected the gas . I have enough diesel equipment, so I cannot explain my decision. I figured the diesel would be worse than gas come 20 degrees!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Wierd you would think with the EFI it would behave better in the cold.never had a EFI engine act like this.well the steel impeller I put in the blower works great,just had 6 inches of wet heavy stuff and it did a great job.i like the engine just hate the cold starts.thanks for the post
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    slickzone; I know this kinda sounds dumb, but have u thought of putting a block heater in it. it would make every start a warm start with using the block heater. sounds dumb-huh, using a block heater in a gas block. just thought i'll throw that out their.
    Superglidesport and arlen like this.

7. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Wierd you would think with the EFI it would behave better in the cold.never had a EFI engine act like this.well the steel impeller I put in the blower works great,just had 6 inches of wet heavy stuff and it did a great job.i like the engine just hate the cold starts.thanks for the post
    I agree it should be much better, but it's not.. In fact when it was sputtering, the black soot was all over the right side of the Yellow Snowblower and it was actually hard to get off! It just smeared instead of cleaning up. Had to use some good cleaner on it.. Bad soot!
    About the steel impeller.. Glad it's working for you. I was pleased myself and it wasn't that big a deal to take everything apart either, (thanks to Franks post).. The only small difficulty was removing the auger assembly and putting it back, I did loosen up one side of the auger to give it room to slide out and I am glad the auto lift did all the lifting too!
    To bad we have to put up with things like the starting issues and needing to fix a blower with a brand new machine.. I hate so say, all my other machines I have ever owned, never had such issues as this 738 did.. I runs good now because I cannot stand something not running right or to my expectations, no matter the cost, I need it done.. Every once in a while I still have the starting issue because I forget to put the throttle up, oh well, we deal with it.. I still love the machine for what it does and in a lot less time then anything I have ever owned in the past.. Happy New Year SlickZ..
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    slickzone; I know this kinda sounds dumb, but have u thought of putting a block heater in it. it would make every start a warm start with using the block heater. sounds dumb-huh, using a block heater in a gas block. just thought i'll throw that out their.
    Not a dumb idea at all - way up north it is common to have block heaters on vehicles with gas engines.

Being this starting issue seems to be par for the course with this engine a block heater would be a good solution.
    Paul Y. likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I called JD last year about a block heater,and of coarse we don't offer anything for the gas engine.what would you guys use.does this engine have a freeze plug.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    You could try a lower radiator hose heater if you can't find a block heater. My X720 can start hard too, but it never backfires. I just move the throttle up to half way and start it up.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    My guess is you have dirty injectors. Get some good injector cleaner. I typically use Gold Eagle STABIL for anything gas. Ethanol (STUPID GOV'T) screws with the gas terribly and makes things harder to start. Did it start well when new??
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 12-31-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It's been like this from day one.i believe the fuel pump is leaking back.the dealer will be dealing with this next week.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast