Gx345 or Z727?

Thread: Gx345 or Z727?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-02-2012 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

Gx345 or Z727?

Hey I'm new to the forum. I'm trying to gather some information. I purchased a 2003 gx345 54" deck with a 20hp liquid cool engine 2 months ago. It started smoking pretty bad and I took it back to the dealer and we were worked out a deal to get it fixed. Many parts were replaced and they say it's pretty much a new rebuilt engine. It runs great now, like new. With the purchase and the fix I have $2600 invested in it....the guy I bought it from has a 2004 Z727a on the lot with 525 hours. It's got the 54" 7iron deck with a power flow bagger system. This mower has the 23hp air cooled engine. He's willing to take my lawn mower plus $500 for the zrt. Meaning I'm really paying $3100 for it. It sounds like a great deal. But I get worried when I'm trading in a great mower for one I don't know much about. I love the professional look a zrt makes on the lawn. I aerate every year, will a zrt pull an aerator with cement blocks?......anyone have experience with the 23hp kawi? Good or bad?

My lawn has been mowed with a garden tractor and zrt so my landscape is not an issue with either one.

What would you do? Give up a gx345 with a rebuilt engine to get a zrt with only 525 hours or play it safe and keep the gx345?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    It depends on what other chores you might want to do with a mower. If you just want to mow, you can't beat a zero turn, and the John Deere commercial ones like the one you're talking about are good ones. But, it won't do much else but mow. If you want to haul a trailer, or snow blade or snow blow or till or pull a single mold plow or any other gardening work, then keep the GX. In my situation I might go with the zero turn, but only because I have an older 316 and a 445 that I can use for other chores. The zero turn you're talking about was an expensive unit back in the day, but then so was the GX. Myself, if you're happy with the GX and it does a good job mowing and it doesn't take you all day, I keep the GX. It gives you the option to add attachments later.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    I love the 345s and would prefer that unless you do a lot of mowing and need the speed of a zero turn.

An aerator behind the Z shouldnt be an issue. My neighbor has a 727 and pulles a small trailer and aerator as well.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I dont plan on using a snow plow, but in the furure id like to get a sprayer. Can the ZRT's be equipped electrically for a sprayer? I cant see why not...Maybe i worry to much but the machine says 525 hours. Now the guy that traded this in traded this 727 and a 737 for a couple more zrt's. The salesman says the guy didnt use them for commercial mowing, im a little leary of someone owning to commercial zrt's for his own property. Must be one hell of an estate. But is it possible for someone to alter the hour meter? Im not calling the guy a liar, im just reading between the lines. Maybe a little to much....anybody have any complaints about the kawasaki 23hp on the 727's? As i said before, my biggest fear is trading in a gx345 with a rebuilt engine for another mower and then having problems with the new one. JOhn deeres arent cheap to fix...Heres some pics of what i have and what is on the table to get.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5020.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	8440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9364.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	860.2 KB 
ID:	8441

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    It's always possible to alter an hour meter. I think if you have doubts, then don't make the trade. If you're happy with the GX, then why trade?

As for the Kawasaki engines, they're commercial grade and should last a long time with proper maintenance. That GX should lasts you a long time also as it has an excellent engine and transmission set up and since it's a garden tractor, it will have a strong, heavy frame. The transmission in it is built to handle ground engaging equipment and should last longer than most of the tractor. Too bad, JD didn't offer the 7-iron decks in their garden tractor line back when that GX was made as the deck will probably go before the rest of the tractor (except maybe the hood).

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    IMHO, that Z727 was used commercially. The deck looks to have been bounced around a bit on both sides and it sure does not look like it was used by someone who took care of it. Your 345 looks very nice and cannot be compared to the Z as far as looks if use. I looked at a home used Z727 last year before I purchased my Z920. The guy wanted 6,500 for it with 160 hours. It looked like new.

What also scares me is that the guy selling the equipment did not clean them up or even remove the grass from the deck. I guess that's good for you as you can see how it was kept, but odd.

The Z727 and Z920 are rated to pull 400 pounds. It would have no issue with your aerator, but like stated above, they are lawn machines only.

I really enjoy mine and I only cut 2 acres. So there are people out there with commercial mowers for home use. But mine still looks like new and I assume most would for the guys who spend the money on them for home.

Brian

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian, I see your from bay city. I'm from vassar originally. Moved to Virginia 5 years ago for a job. All my family is still up there. Good to see a fellow Michigander on here

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements