Using machinefinder experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using machinefinder experience

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-01-2013 @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks

Using machinefinder experience

Iam new to this site but I have already gleamed some wonderful info by reading the threads. I am in need of a new tractor and I have settled on looking for a slightly used x720. I have noticed that there are quite a few x720's available with 20 to 60 hrs on them located at JD dealerships in eastern Iowa for around $8,000. Have anyone had experience buying a used tractor from any of the dealerships and having it shipped. I plan on visiting my daughter the first of July and thought I would visit a few of the dealers and see if I can get a good used tractor and have it shipped to the eastern shore of Maryland. Thanks for advise you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Hi, welcome to GTT. I have some experience using Machinefinder. I bought a Wheel Horse 314-8 from Iowa a few years back. Found it on Machinefinder. I had to arrange delivery of it to Missouri with a third party. I also have found a 445 using Machinefinder a couple of years back. Luckily it was at a dealership that was in reasonable driving distance. Currently I'm looking at a 318 that's a couple of states away. I'm exploring options now on how to get it to Missouri. I know of a 330 that I found on MachineFinder a couple of weeks back that was in Illinois, but a guy from Philadelphia came and I missed it.

In my opinion Machinefinder is a good way of finding tractors and equipment, getting a ballpark price on them. The dealerships I worked with have been honest, but they won't go too far out of their way to make a sell on an used machine, but honestly, all of mine have been low priced units. They may be more helpful on shipment and delivery at the higher prices. If a dealer is a multi-dealership, they will move units from store to store, but usually won't to another owned dealership.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    I wanted a specific thing that is no longer available (no turbo and straddle mount) and spent quite a lot of effort on machinefinder. A large portion of the stuff on there is not available has been sold and not adjusted on the site. It is a John Deere creation and as such the listings are from deere dealers. Whether they price close to new stuff so high as to make just buying new more logical like pick up trucks at new car dealerships, make your own determination. The listings I have been through and I have been doing attachments lately, are very devoid of much information, Maybe 15 to 20 percent of the time I would get the guy whose name is on the listing, they still had it and he knew what might be simple like are the tires loaded. Just in general it is nice to have the serial number run, it certainly won't be like a carfax but will tell how many dealerships have owned it. Especially true for non dealer sales. There was one thread I read a few years ago somewhere the guy bought a virtually new tractor and deere wouldn't help him out at all. It appears someone must have bought three tractors that had been involved in a train wreck or something like that put one together and sold it but deere or the insurance had settled the claim as all three totally ruined.

Fran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    I've made one buy that was found on Machinefinders.That was a smooth sale. I have also found items still listed that when I called they new nothing about or said must have been sold weeks ago. Then there are the listing with a bundle number and no description, as if we would know all the bundle numbers. You also will not find a lot of NON JD items since it's a JD creation.I bought my 6415 and a Bush Hog rear blade thru TractorHouse
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am thinking of calling two or three of the JD dealers in the area next month and inquiring about available stock and ask for a price for a x720 with a 54 deck, a mulch kit with blades delivered to my house. Depending on the response, I would plan on visiting the JD dealer(s) to seal a deal. I would assume that they would have better contacts for shipping the mower than I would. If they ship, I don't have to pay sales tax so it should off set the cost of shipping some. Good idea to check serial number, thanks for the heads up. Uship is an option. There are some good reviews of some of dealers but the reviews only exist on their website. This is my first experience buying a JD. I have a 15 year old Snapper that I have ruined the transaxle by hauling too heavy loads.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Depending what state you go to you might have to pay the sales tax. I bought my 2305 in Indiana and had it shipped to Iowa. Because a third party picked it up I didnt have to pay sales tax.

I think there is a lot of difference between states on pickup vs pay for vs whatever.

So you might want to check that.

In my case the sales tax more than offset the shipping cost. Not to mention I could buy a new tractor for less than my local dealers wanted for a used one.
    1967 John Deere 110 (round fender) tiller & Model 80 Cart
    2010 John Deere 2305, 200cx loader and 62" MMM, 54" blower, I-Match

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    I have used Uship. Good results. Be aware there is a Broker Fee to Uship that does not appear in the quotes. Only when you go to accept a quote do you see the Broker Fee. So you do know the total cost up front, just not by viewing the quotes.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the uship info. How close was the uship estimate to the actual ship cost and how did it take? I figure if I buy from my local JD dealer, it will cost $10,199 - $300 discount + 6.5% sales tax for a total of $10,543. If I can find a slightly used one for $8,000 and $500 shipping, I could save $2000, enough to off set the cost to see my daughter. I am sure that my wife will see it the same way but will reason that we could spend some of the savings going out to a nice restaurant.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    02-04-2017 @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Along the lines of this thread does anybody know of a good site to look for used machines that aren't biased toward John Deere ? Are updated regularly and give accurate prices ?
    2011 M.Y. 4720 72" mmm, 400 cx loader, loader mount snowblade, 15 ' land pride folding rotary cutter (belongs to Volunteer Fire Company) operated by myself and a few others to maintain 15-20 acres of land as well as several large parking lots.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Tractor House http://www.tractorhouse.com/

Equipment locator http://www.equipmentlocator.com/

Those are two that come to my mind that I've used before.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast