Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Coolant heater for x730

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-21-2016 @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks

Coolant heater for x730

The x730 has no freeze plugs,so I'm going with inline radiator hose heater.are there brands out there you guys have had good luck with.i have to do something about these cold starts,it looks like this is the only real option.thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-21-2016 @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    I just went out to do a inspection and take some measurements,it does not appear this is going to work.the hoses are very short,and there is very little space in there.i will have to get the heaters size,but things are tight in there.i just wish Kawasaki would have made it possible to install a block heater.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickzone View Post
    I just went out to do a inspection and take some measurements,it does not appear this is going to work.the hoses are very short,and there is very little space in there.i will have to get the heaters size,but things are tight in there.i just wish Kawasaki would have made it possible to install a block heater.
    Yeah, I don't think there is room. About the only option I could think of is custom hose that was longer and routed in a manner to get to a spot with room for a heater.
    coaltrain likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    You are going at it all wrong.....

You could get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrostBuster.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	110530
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    You are going at it all wrong.....

You could get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrostBuster.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	110530
    I did think of mentioning that. In the aviation world we use portable heaters.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Add a couple "T's" and smaller hoses??

What about a magnetic heater??

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought of a couple Ts as well. My concern would be where would you put them? Best option would before the thermostat so it pushes warm coolant into the engine. I would have to look at that line. Not sure if that is a rubber hose. The idea is you want to warm the coolant in the engine not the radiator. Also would it need a shutoff of some sort to make sure you get proper flow through the radiator to prevent over heating when the tractor is running.

Another thing to keep in mind that this is just with warming the coolant. That will get the engine running, but the hydraulic fluid is really cold and thicker than normal. So it will take a bit to get the machine moving. This is why I keep my X585 in the heated pole barn. It is no colder than 38 out there. Even then the hydraulics groan when I go out to plow. I fire it up, pull outside and let it run for a bit before plowing or running the snow blower.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Another option for the OP is a magnetic block (oil pan) heater. Just stick it on and plug it in -

magnetic block heater from Northern Tool + Equipment
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Another option for the OP is a magnetic block (oil pan) heater. Just stick it on and plug it in -

magnetic block heater from Northern Tool + Equipment
    The block is aluminum. Not sure if there is a "pan". At least that is the case on my X585.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    The block is aluminum. Not sure if there is a "pan". At least that is the case on my X585.
    Good point - didn't know that. With the space constraints talked about this idea came to mind.

About the placement of a coolant heater - the obvious thing to do would be to find a good mounting location then adapt hoses to reach it properly. But...I don't know if these small coolant heaters have a circulating pump in them or not. With our VW TDI's we have a vendor who sells a passive coolant heater kit (with no pump) that is specifically designed (with proper placement according to the instructions) where the only force to circulate the coolant was by convection. Worked very well. Just thought I would add this because if these small coolant heaters are like that being passive the proper location is critical to proper operation.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast