Green Tractor Talk banner

My x748 will be coming home soon!

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Superglidesport 
#1 ·
So, the parts came in and Deere called and said my x748 was ready. I went down after work to check it out, finalize the deal and set up delivery.

The Deere personnel couldn't have been nicer. They showed me how to install and remove the powerflow, the bagger, the 3point and the deck. There was some consternation when they couldn't get the 48" deck draft arms to release when we tried to remove the deck because the new 26x12x12 HDAP's are so large. We had to turn the gauge wheels to the "mow" position, slide the deck back, release the draft arms and then turn the gauge wheels 90* to slide the deck out.

The only hiccups were they had not changed the fuel filter and there was no top link for the 3pt hitch. They are taking care of those items and she will be delivered on Tuesday.

In the mean time, I got a few trinkets to take home:

Brand new Owner's and Tech manuals

The extra oil and the old, faded fuel cap

The old seat that will replace one of my duct tape specials

and the old tires that may be pressed into service some day

Finally, she comes home Tuesday but I couldn't resist taking a couple pictures sitting on the lot with her new rubber

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Tonight, and the next few, visions of X748 riding in your dreams.

You'll love the DHAP tires.

Reactions: Levi and ColonyPark
#3 ·
Good looking tractor. Congratulations.!:greentractorride::thumbup1gif:

#4 ·
Looks like new! This tractor has the three point? That was a lot of bucks to add. Did you pick this up used from dealer or private sale or did you just have your unit serviced?

#5 ·
I went to buy an ignition switch for my 317 at the dealer and saw they had 4 used x7 series machines for sale, an x710, two x720's and the x748. Knowing I will never have the money for a new one, and liking the older style anyway, I worked a deal for the x748. New fluids, HDAP's, new manuals, new seat and new fuel cap, and $1000 off the asking price. I think having so many used x7 series machines sitting on the lot with rows of still-wrapped brand new machines worked in my favor.

They must be doing ok though. As I was filling out the paperwork in the showroom I asked why they didn't have any tractors with snow blowers on display. My salesman said they had sold them all and were trying to get more.

#9 ·
I remember being at the MN State Fair a few years ago when the 1 Series first came out. I was looking over the new X7xx as I have the X585 which is the same size machine. This was before the redid the numbering on the X series in 2005 or so when the X700s came out. I was looking at the frame on the new machine and noticed that the holes were gone for the loader and asked the guy about it. He asked what I had and how it was equipped. When I mentioned the FEL and 3pt hitch he was saying that they got rid of that stuff on the X700 because once you add 3pt hitch and Rear PTO or Loader you are in 1 Series money and I would be better off going that route.

I have the same tires on my machine and they are great. Offer enough traction that with 4WD I don't need to mess with chains. I would look into getting the front fenders if you are doing snow stuff. They don't do much otherwise. I also have to fight with mine to get the deck off with tires. This is one of the reasons I at about the same point in the process on getting a new Z950R. It was getting to much taking off stuff and putting stuff back on.

Do you have any plans for the 3pt hitch? The I-match is a nice addition for picking up and dropping stuff. We have a box grader and Heavy Hitch for ours and went with the cheaper Harbor Freight option. You have to do some tweaks to make it work just right but once set up it is great. It makes it so easy to drop one attachment and pick up something else. The Heavy Hitch gives you a way to add up to 8 x 42# suitcase weights which you may not need unless you get a FEL and also gives you a 2" receiver which is nice for moving trailers around and a chain hook for pulling things. I have also seen where there are attachments for it that use the 2" receiver. Also if you get the HH cart which is optional, you can do what I do, pick up the HH with the Quick Hitch then set it down on the cart which inserts into the 2" receiver. Then I remove the 3pt arms when not needed (mowing or when I have the collection system on). You just pull the 5 pins. Toss them into the tool box on the trailer. Now the HH, Quick Hitch and 3 pt arms are all on a nice package that can be wheeled out of the way. Everything stays together so it is easier to hook it up when needed.

Reactions: Levi
#10 · (Edited)
Buying new you would have to look at the 1 series, but used the x7's seem to be a better value. I compared what I am getting for $6500 (x748, powerflow, triple bagger, 3pt) to what I could buy new using Deere list prices (a x390 with powerflow or a x500). I know I'm comparing apples and battleships but it did help me justify my purchase.

As far as plans for the 3 point, I would like a weight box for snow removal, but that isn't necessary until I get an attachment for snow removal! I would also like to get a box blade.

#11 ·
Congrats on the new Tractor!!

Does your you Hopper have the Click-N-Go Mounts?? Not sure if they can use those with the 3-point installed. If it does, I have a really nice storage cart to hold your MCS parts when not in use. Take a look and let me know if your interested!

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy that beautiful machine!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.