Which cab should I try to mate with my x748?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By ggsteve
  • 3 Post By RandyM
  • 3 Post By ggsteve
  • 3 Post By TJR345
  • 1 Post By 06switchback

Thread: Which cab should I try to mate with my x748?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks

Which cab should I try to mate with my x748?

Just today I secured a deal for a Model 47 blower and quick hitch for my new to me x748. Having blown snow without a cab, and then having blown snow with a cab, I will never resort to blowing snow without a cab again. Thus the conundrum now is which cab to try and mate to the x748. I have 3 to choose from:

First, we have the cab currently on my Craftsman, a Craftsman branded OTC cab not too dissimilar from the one that Deere sells for many hundreds of dollars, complete with the glass windshield.

Second, we have an old, rusty soft-doored Deere cab currently on my 317.

Last, we have a less than pristine cozy cab, currently frozen to the ground under this tarp, but it came off of one of my 140's.

Which do you suggest I try to fit on the x?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Deere Enthusiast

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    I personally would look at as to what would make the best completed job. How much are you going to have to modify, tractor and cab? I think I would start there. Looks like a fun project.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    After some quick measurements this afternoon I am pretty certain that the OTC will fit on the x748. The brake pedal and fuel cap are the most in the way, but I think I can work around them. Unfortunately, I don't want to drill the 6 1/4" holes I would need for attachment points in the x748 deck. I'm thinking C-clamps for the 4 front cab frame uprights and some kind of strong bar magnets, a set fixed under the rear of the fender pan and a set bolted to the back frame of the cab.
    RandyM, ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    Deere Enthusiast

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe you should've went this route,cab heat,ac the works.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTxH8JZj2Ps
    BigJim55, Bill Berger and tj1 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    I have the otc on my 2720 it looks the same as the one on your craftsman the roof frame and plastic I'm guessing would be the same the mounting brackets and possibly the doors are going to be different it wouldn't hurt to email otc and see if just the mounting brackets are available if that was the cab you decide to use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    tj1 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 06switchback View Post
    I have the otc on my 2720 it looks the same as the one on your craftsman the roof frame and plastic I'm guessing would be the same the mounting brackets and possibly the doors are going to be different it wouldn't hurt to email otc and see if just the mounting brackets are available if that was the cab you decide to use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Contacting OTC is a good idea, thanks. Any chance you can get a picture of one of your mounting brackets? The lip on the edge of the x fender pan is very thick. I'm interested in how it attaches.
    Deere Enthusiast

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    02-25-2016 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks
    I have John Deeres soft cab...they call it a weather enclosure....light wt.....does the job for me.

Fadz
    Last edited by fadzaev6; 02-25-2016 at 06:17 AM.

10. Top | #8
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ggsteve View Post
    Just today I secured a deal for a Model 47 blower and quick hitch for my new to me x748. Having blown snow without a cab, and then having blown snow with a cab, I will never resort to blowing snow without a cab again. Thus the conundrum now is which cab to try and mate to the x748. I have 3 to choose from:

First, we have the cab currently on my Craftsman, a Craftsman branded OTC cab not too dissimilar from the one that Deere sells for many hundreds of dollars, complete with the glass windshield.

Second, we have an old, rusty soft-doored Deere cab currently on my 317.

Last, we have a less than pristine cozy cab, currently frozen to the ground under this tarp, but it came off of one of my 140's.

Which do you suggest I try to fit on the x?
    If the OTC isn't to much of an issue especially with a new JD I would go for it.. I see it has been mentioned to get in touch with the company,, I think that's a great idea, they may have what you need to get the job done without to much chicanery involved.. Heat is nice too if it would work with the otc. I bought the entire package, tractor, hard side Curtis cab, well you can read my signature, I love it.. Still have my soft side on my Husky and I froze my butt off in that thing,, I love the Curtis with heat.. But $$$$$$ Figured I was only going to do this once with the time I have left on this earth so just do it.. With the zero down and no interest,, I was hooked.. Good luck with your project, sounds like it will be a nice one.. Then you can have that ice cold beer to celebrate.. Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements