Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By T-Mo

Thread: X540 Review

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks

X540 Review

It was asked of me a little while back for a review on my new 2012 X540 lawn & garden tractor.

I have been waiting till I ran out the first tank of gas that the dealer provided by on delivery, so here we go.

As most of you know I traded off my 2011 1026R to get caught up on some bills before my wifes Carpel Tunnel surgery. She has had the first hand done and is going in on 06/22 to have the 2nd hand done, so far so good and she is doing good.

Now back to the subject at hand , 1st of all the X540 is no comparison to the 1026R head to head, however on it's own and on a level playing field it is a great machine. It has a 4.4 gal gas tank that I got 5.9hrs of run/mowing time. This is good and bad. with the 1026R and it's 5.5 gal(I think)tank, I got a consistant 10hrs of work time, and I worked it a lot harder than the X540. So far the fuel consumpsion is my only complant on the X540, but I may be a little biased to diesel.

Now as far as the mowing, I do miss the sound of the 60" 7 Iron deck when you turn on the PTO, but the cut & finish of the 54" deck on the X540 is as good, if not better than the 7Iron deck. Reason being is it seems to float over the grass and not scalp as easiely as the 7Iron use to do, meaning I don't have to watch the deck as close to try to beat it and react to it before it scalped a area.:empathy3:

I do have the 48" snow plow and angle kit but have been too lazy to pull the MMM off and do the install for the blade. It dose seem like a nice set up and looks like it should do a good job of clearing snow. One draw back to the X540 IMO is that it will only work one implement at a time. I do see me getting a sleeve hitch in the future and either buying some or building some rear implements on my own. The front end seems a little lite and seems to slide or skid a little when turning sharp left or right, so I will proboly pick up some suit case weight to fix this problem. The little tractor has some great promise and is doing a great job for me. I admit I miss the FEL on the 1026R the most and the fact that when I had the 1026 that I looked for stuff to do with it.

The X540 does a great job for what it is, to be honest, I feel anybody wanting a great machine for mowing, a little snow removal and all around good yard machine this is a good choise. The X7xx machines are great machines, but when you consider prices, if you need a FEL or 3ph and pto, it only makes since to go to the 1023E or 1026R. You gain on price and work load capabilties.

I hope this review helps anyone in the market for a new lawn & garden tractor. I will try to post some pictures as they become avalible.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to has15 For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (06-08-2012), T-Mo (06-09-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-01-2013 @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Last month I was looking to replace my 15 year old snapper and looked real hard at the x540. I liked the water cooled engine and it looked to be a substanial tractor. I ended up purchasing a x720 which is more tractor than I needed, I think. I plan on getting a johnny bucket for it because I really don't need a FEL which you can do too. I have the 54" deck and compared to the 42" snapper it is like night and day. The advantage that I have is that I went from a lawn tractor to a garden tractor. You went from real nice CUT to a nice garden tractor. Good luck with the new tractor.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    First off, I hope your wife's surgery goes well and she has a successful recovery for both hands.

Second, good review. I know you know that when comparing a X540 to a 1026R is like comparing apples to oranges. The X540, having a gas engine, can not compete against a diesel in fuel consumption, or lack thereof, and will not have the oomph a diesel will. I think you made a wise choice, considering you were downgrading considerably. Deere sells an integral hitch for that series and there are a lot of attachments available, both new from JD and from Brinly, Agi-Fab, etc., and also used from ebay, Craig's List and wfm.

Again, nice review and I'm looking forward to the snow removal reviews and seeing pictures of the attachments you do get in the future.
    Paul Y. likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

has15 (06-09-2012)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    Thanks for taking the time to post your write up, it was a good read. Also, glad your wife is on the mend and best wishes on the rest of her surgery and healing.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

has15 (06-11-2012)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-19-2012 @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

2012 x540

Can a 60" 7 iron deck be installed on the new x540 tractor? Looking for a tractor configuration that can cut slopes.
    My 54" would have to run on anti scalp wheels to cut evenly on slope, and the LH and RH wheels need to be set differently. The lower side of the tractor would have to set wheels two holes lower than the high side for a level cut. Any advice?

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanD View Post
    Can a 60" 7 iron deck be installed on the new x540 tractor? Looking for a tractor configuration that can cut slopes.
    My 54" would have to run on anti scalp wheels to cut evenly on slope, and the LH and RH wheels need to be set differently. The lower side of the tractor would have to set wheels two holes lower than the high side for a level cut. Any advice?

Sorry I did not see this before I saw your other post No! You will not get a D60 or a D54 7 Iron deck under your X540, They are shaft drive decks. As I said in your other post, try cutting a little bit higher(it is good for your lawn) and get the wheels set the same all the way around. Also you may want to consider ballast, I use Rim Guard in my rear tires to help keep the rear end on the ground, each of my rear wheels weigh about 110lbs, your whole tractor may lean to the lower side of your slope with out you knowing it causing the deck out of level, ballast will help this. The X540 is a great tractor for its class, they just take some adjustments here and there to neet your needs. Hope this helps you out some.
    Last edited by Kennyd; 08-12-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
    Jeff

2012 X540
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-19-2012 @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

X540 cut issue on slopes

Quote Originally Posted by has15 View Post

Also you may want to consider ballast, I use Rim Guard in my rear tires to help keep the rear end on the ground, each of my rear wheels weigh about 110lbs, your whole tractor may lean to the lower side of your slope with out you knowing it causing the deck out of level, ballast will help this. The X540 is a great tractor for its class, they just take some adjustments here and there to neet your needs. Hope this helps you out some.
    Thanks for the quick feedback!
    My first thought was sidewalk flex in the HDP tires or the reduced footprint compared to the turf tires. I can cut the slopes with my 2002 GT245 with no problems.
    The ballast may help the situation, is rim guard an aftermarket product or something the dealer should have? What does it typically cost?

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rim Guard is a after market purchase. Most dealers can get it or if you have a tire store that does agg tires they to should have it. Around here it comes out out to about $4.00 per gal installed. Depending on where you live(hint to complete your profile)you may be able to use washer fluid, it is about 2lbs less per gal than the Rim Guard and you can do it your self, there are some post on GTT on how to do this. You will need 10 gal per tire. Keep us posted on how come out and good luck.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements