Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: x7xx front quick hitch question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks

x7xx front quick hitch question

I have had my x738 for less than a year, and "the blizzard of 2016" was my first snow with it. In switching from the front blade to the snow blower I wasted a lot of time trying to get the angle locking pin installed. Is there a trick to aligning the holes so the pin will drop in? Other than that, I love the machine. I upgraded from a 21 year old Honda 4518. A great machine, but the lack of hydraulics and the difficulty of switching implements made the upgrade necessary for someone 70+ yrs old.
    JD 2015 x738
    JD 48" Edge Mower Deck
    JD Snow Blower 47"
    JD Front Blade 54"
    JD Cat 1 3 pt hitch
    Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch-Heavy Duty
    Heavy Hitch Universal Weight Bracket 1 1/4 "
    Heavy Hitch Pallet Forks 36"
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    EA 60" Pine Straw Rake
    Impact Rake 50"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilliman View Post
    I have had my x738 for less than a year, and "the blizzard of 2016" was my first snow with it. In switching from the front blade to the snow blower I wasted a lot of time trying to get the angle locking pin installed. Is there a trick to aligning the holes so the pin will drop in? Other than that, I love the machine. I upgraded from a 21 year old Honda 4518. A great machine, but the lack of hydraulics and the difficulty of switching implements made the upgrade necessary for someone 70+ yrs old.
    I don't have a X738 but have a X585 which is pretty much the same machine. Shaft drive blower, 4wd/2 wheel steering with the 25hp Kawasaki.

There isn't any trick I have found other than pretty much never use the blower. Yeah doesn't help. I guess the best answer I have for you is that since I pretty much only use the blower once every 2-3 years when we get slammed with snow like you did, means I have no idea what happened to my correct pin. The one I have isn't quite as big as what it should be. So I have more slop to where I get it close and the pin I use fits. The U joints will handle any deflection I have while what is normally the pivot connections are now doing chute control.

Not a perfect answer but the best one I have is that my pin is smaller than what it should be.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

1126jwe (01-26-2016), jsilliman (01-26-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    On mine that is only about 1 1/2 years old I found that the holes weren't lined up exactly from the factory. I took a die grinder to the lowest hole and elongated it a little bit so the pin would drop in easily. Only took a couple of minutes of grinding once I had the hitch off and upside down.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eric102 For This Useful Post:

jsilliman (01-26-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to sennister and eric102. Both a variation on the same solution. The JD supplied pin is a very tight fit. When the weather settles down I will either find a slightly smaller diameter pin or open up the bottom hole. Thanks again for your input.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 2015 x738
    JD 48" Edge Mower Deck
    JD Snow Blower 47"
    JD Front Blade 54"
    JD Cat 1 3 pt hitch
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    EA 60" Pine Straw Rake
    Impact Rake 50"

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks to sennister and eric102. Both a variation on the same solution. The JD supplied pin is a very tight fit. When the weather settles down I will either find a slightly smaller diameter pin or open up the bottom hole. Thanks again for your input.
    A big bolt works also. Don't need a nut on the other end. The only reason for it is to keep the quick hitch assembly from pivoting because you have the pivot cylinder disconnected to hook up the one to steer the chute. I forget what size it would take. If I were to guess the pin is what 1" or so maybe. If so get a 3/4" bolt. I think that is about the size of my "smaller" pin.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Thanks
    Mine didn't one with the pin (bought used) so I picked up a long hitch pin with a handle at tractor supply. It's a little undersized but works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and 1126jwe like this.

11. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    I have the X738 with the same hitch out front, my pin went right in but I believe what has been stated or you can drill out the bottom hole with the next size up bit or use as stated a die grinder and get the hole just a little larger, it will not hurt the use of the hitch.. What I did find when installing my brand new blower on that hitch is the left hole on the hitch did not line up with the hole in the blower by at least 1/4". I have to pry the blower frontwards to have the pin snap in.. Dealer said it happens! Really???? It is a PITA.. Tractor, hitch and blower were brand new and it didn't line up.. But that's okay according to the dealer! I am welding on a 1/4" shim this spring, not going thru this every time I take it off and put it back on.. it's supposed to be "QUICK" just like it's advertised.. Good luck. Maybe a bigger hammer!!! Hey that's my FIL's advice so I am passing it along! He would be over 100 today but passed away quite some time ago..
    Last edited by tj1; 01-27-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    Levi likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Had the same problem with my blower and quick hitch.
    Found if I connected the blower with the latch pins free the left side wouldn't lock while raised but did once I set the blower down on the ground.

Jack
    JD 2015 x738
    JD 48" Edge Mower Deck
    JD Snow Blower 47"
    JD Front Blade 54"
    JD Cat 1 3 pt hitch
    Heavy Hitch Ripper
    EA 60" Pine Straw Rake
    Impact Rake 50"

13. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Had the same problem with my blower and quick hitch.
    Found if I connected the blower with the latch pins free the left side wouldn't lock while raised but did once I set the blower down on the ground.

Jack
    Mine would not do anything up or on the ground. I actually have to use a pry bar from underneath to pry it away from the hitch while raised and then the pin snaps in.. It will be cured after this winter! We should not have to do this at all.. I was told to drill out the hole!!!! ah,,, No way, the blower would be all over the place with it's oscillations! That hole in the blower is also a pretty thick piece of steel! Easier to weld on a shim. I also though about roping the blower to my lift and pulling backwards , that might work too, it's a bear to get a pry bar into that hitch, not much room to work. But that s why they call this pry bar a "wonder bar"!; especially when the two are touching! It will be solved eventually.. Thanks for the come back.. I bet we are not the only two who have had this issue.. If the dealer had set it up like he said they would they would have found this out and fixed it before I took delivery, one would hope anyway! It came on a skid separate from the tractor and nothing was adjusted property including the cable that turns the chute.. I was miffed to say the very least especially with all the issues this blower had as I posted previously. I am trying to be nice here as you can tell... Have a great day. Jeff
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    ~snip I was told to drill out the hole!!!! ah,,, No way, the blower would be all over the place with it's oscillations! That hole in the blower is also a pretty thick piece of steel! ~snip
    I use a smaller than the original pin so there is some slop quick hitch. This is basically the same thing as drilling a bigger hole. I don't get oscillations that move the blower all over. When blowing (which isn't very often) and I push into the side of a snow bank is the only time I notice it. The quick hitch turns and therefore the entire blower will pivot a couple of degrees. Not much but deflect maybe 5 degrees or so in either direction from being centered. When it does that I stop pushing and let it chew through the snow it is working on. When pushing straight into snow that is all the way across it doesn't jump around as there is even pressure against it. If you wanted to test it before actually don't something that you can't reverse, try a smaller bolt for a pin and see if you get any oscillation or deflection that would concern you. While I get some deflection as mentioned, the drive shaft deflects more when I raise the blower than it does pivoting the little bit that it can with the smaller pin so it doesn't concern me about additional wear on the u-joints.

JD X585, 54C deck,

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast