Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: X585 fault code 22

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks

X585 fault code 22

Hmm. Went out to plow when I got home from work and the tractor started throwing a fault code. 22. (two long flashes and two quick). That is odd it is running fine from what I can tell. Go back inside to bust out the Technical Manual. Took forever to find the codes again but eventually found it.

EFI module air/fuel pressure calculation error. To reset: Stop
    engine, wait for fault indicator light to go off and fuel pump to
    stop (approximately 0.5 to 1 second). Start engine.
    Really, reboot the server..... err I mean tractor... Is this a John Deere or a Microsoft product???

That is odd. So I "rebooted" the tractor and code went away and the machine is running fine. Then I noticed my fuel gauge and temp gauge were pegged out. I turn off the head lights and it goes back to normal but the service light comes on for a second like when the ignition is first turned on. Turn headlights back on, gauges peg out and I notice the hour meter goes out. Lights off same deal. Everything back to normal with a flash of the service light. Grrr, I really want to try and make it through spring with this machine so I can rip it apart and fix this gremlin. It runs fine and I had enough light to plow without headlights. So I got my work done and put it away for the night. I am thinking it is a bad ground in the dash that I have read that others have had. At something like $300-400 for a new dash I am not looking forward to swapping it out as a guess. I need to pull it out and crack it open. Maybe I can re-soldier the connections or at least ID if I have the broken soldier joints that have been mentioned.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    As much as the dash having problems is common with the early x series when it comes to electrical start simple.Check grounds,loose connections,and poor connectors.Make certain there are not any wires rubbing anywhere causing a short.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    As much as the dash having problems is common with the early x series when it comes to electrical start simple.Check grounds,loose connections,and poor connectors.Make certain there are not any wires rubbing anywhere causing a short.
    Yeah I have had my share of issues. Had a wire rub after the dealer had the engine out to fix their screw up and they routed the engine harness wrong. That started causing the EFI circuit to blow a fuse. My plan is to get though this winter now that I have a new machine for mowing then this spring once post winter cleanup is complete, it is getting stripped down and all wire that isn't already in a loom is getting loomed. The dash will get broken down and any broken soldier joints re-soldiered as possible or worst case drop in a new dash. Then we will see if the issue comes back.

On the good side I can recreate it pretty quickly by running the PTO. Now this headlight switch causing the issue is new.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Yeah I have had my share of issues. Had a wire rub after the dealer had the engine out to fix their screw up and they routed the engine harness wrong. That started causing the EFI circuit to blow a fuse. My plan is to get though this winter now that I have a new machine for mowing then this spring once post winter cleanup is complete, it is getting stripped down and all wire that isn't already in a loom is getting loomed. The dash will get broken down and any broken soldier joints re-soldiered as possible or worst case drop in a new dash. Then we will see if the issue comes back.

On the good side I can recreate it pretty quickly by running the PTO. Now this headlight switch causing the issue is new.
    Sounds like a intermittent wire touching and shorting.I had a wire in a harness that was loomed that found a way to rub on some metal and cause a short.It's time consuming but you have to look at every wire loomed or not.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

30" mechanical tiller
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    Turftime 60" lawn roller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Hmm. Went out to plow when I got home from work and the tractor started throwing a fault code. 22. (two long flashes and two quick). That is odd it is running fine from what I can tell. Go back inside to bust out the Technical Manual. Took forever to find the codes again but eventually found it.

Really, reboot the server..... err I mean tractor... Is this a John Deere or a Microsoft product???

That is odd. So I "rebooted" the tractor and code went away and the machine is running fine. Then I noticed my fuel gauge and temp gauge were pegged out. I turn off the head lights and it goes back to normal but the service light comes on for a second like when the ignition is first turned on. Turn headlights back on, gauges peg out and I notice the hour meter goes out. Lights off same deal. Everything back to normal with a flash of the service light. Grrr, I really want to try and make it through spring with this machine so I can rip it apart and fix this gremlin. It runs fine and I had enough light to plow without headlights. So I got my work done and put it away for the night. I am thinking it is a bad ground in the dash that I have read that others have had. At something like $300-400 for a new dash I am not looking forward to swapping it out as a guess. I need to pull it out and crack it open. Maybe I can re-soldier the connections or at least ID if I have the broken soldier joints that have been mentioned.
    sennister; wanted to ask u this. is my x475 happen to have a computer like ur x585.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    sennister; wanted to ask u this. is my x475 happen to have a computer like ur x585.
    Big Jim,

Not 100% sure. The big difference between our machines is my x585 is 25HP Kawasaki with Electronic Fuel Injection. Your x475 is 23HP Kawasaki with a Carburetor. The EFI system will need a computer to control the injectors and the sensors. The carburetor doesn't have to have that to run but it doesn't mean it doesn't have a computer at all.

In my case right now I am leaning toward my issues being not necessarily a computer issue but rather a dash issue that has a broken ground.

Here is a link with another person that had the same issue I see with the same machine.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...erheating.html

Initially they thought it was overheating but the fact that the needle doesn't go to the red area but way past and now that my fuel gauge is doing the same and now my hour meter is going out when I have the gauge issues all points to a problem in the dash or the wires going to the dash. The headlight switch is a separate part which is throwing me off though I need to pull up the schematics to see how that switch ties into the wiring for the dash. Before the trigger was always the PTO being engaged. However in that case was it the PTO circuit energized or was it the PTO light on the dash? I was leaning toward the PTO light causing the issue as the PTO works fine.

In this case if it is a dash, my X585 is an early model (2002) so there may have been some part revisions since then but in theory the dash could be fairly similar.

EDIT: I should add that when this first cropped up (just the temp gauge at the time) a while back (couple years ago now) I didn't have time to deal with it so I took it to the local dealer where it was bough even though it was out of warranty. I explained that it was an electrical issue. They swapped out the coolant temp sensor. That was a valid thing to try. They also changed the Thermostat. I didn't agree with this but it is a cheap part so whatever. As well as flushed and replaced the coolant. For some reason they also pulled the oil pressure sensor for some reason. When they put it back the cracked the block and tried to cover it up. That turned into a big fight, the issue never was resolved and I said the heck with it. It isn't overheating. Needless to say when I bought my new Z950R it wasn't at my local dealer and I have never been back in that dealer for any service or parts.

Now that I have a dedicated mower, I can completely break down the X585 over the summer and resolve this issue once and for all.
    Last edited by sennister; 01-27-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    You should just have the circuit board like my x595 that just basically used for safety switches and relays.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

30" mechanical tiller
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    Turftime 60" lawn roller

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (01-27-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    · The light will come on each time the key is turned to the on position as the fuel injection system is “checked out”. Occasionally, the light will flash a code even though the tractor appears to be operating fine. If the code is 2 long flashes followed by 2 short ones, this simply means there was an error in the “check out” function. Turn the key off, wait a few seconds then turn the key back on. Wait for the light to go out, then start engine and continue mowing.
    56FordGuy likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    Complaint or Symptom :

Gauges on instrument cluster peg or operate backwards when battery is connected.

Problem or Situation :

Black wire (# 20) going into instrument cluster has poor or no connection.

Solution :

Be sure wire is secured in connector and makes good connection with terminal in gauge cluster.

Additional Information :

Wire is the one on the lower left hand corner of the connector.

The fuel gauge, hour meter, and/or temperature gauge may also be affected.
    56FordGuy and sennister like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

sennister (01-27-2016), Zebrafive (06-24-2019)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    · The light will come on each time the key is turned to the on position as the fuel injection system is “checked out”. Occasionally, the light will flash a code even though the tractor appears to be operating fine. If the code is 2 long flashes followed by 2 short ones, this simply means there was an error in the “check out” function. Turn the key off, wait a few seconds then turn the key back on. Wait for the light to go out, then start engine and continue mowing.
    Actually on mine the service light (yellow and tells you if you are due for oil change) comes on briefly when the ignition is switched on and EFI checked out. The flashing code light is red and looks like it might also be a glow plug light on the 595. It if flashing 22 (two long, two short). That is why I was joking because the TM basically says to reboot the tractor. The red light didn't come back on after I switched it off for a few seconds and restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Complaint or Symptom :

Gauges on instrument cluster peg or operate backwards when battery is connected.

Problem or Situation :

Black wire (# 20) going into instrument cluster has poor or no connection.

Solution :

Be sure wire is secured in connector and makes good connection with terminal in gauge cluster.

Additional Information :

Wire is the one on the lower left hand corner of the connector.

The fuel gauge, hour meter, and/or temperature gauge may also be affected.
    Out of curiosity where is this from? I have the TM2023 which is the Technical Manual for the X465, X475, X485, X575 and X585. I haven't come across this in there. Was there a service bulletin or something on this issue that came out in the last couple years. If there is that makes me even more pissed at the dealer where I bought it. It took it there and told them it isn't overheating, it is an electrical issue and I don't have time to trace wires. They never could fix it and screwed up my tractor more. It pretty much describes my issue and matches what I think the problem is. It is an issue where it is finding ground through the wrong path because there is a problem with the wire or more likely a problem with the dash and that pin is my speculation. If you look at the post I linked to above it was mentioned that there was a X495 with the same issue and a bad soldier joint in the cluster. I have a digital soldier station and have done instrument cluster repairs on my truck a few times when the stepper motors have died. So I am pretty comfortable in digging into it and repairing a bad joint.
    Zebrafive likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast