• 1 Post By TJR345
  • 2 Post By fordgt40

Thread: Seat Options for X585

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks

Seat Options for X585

The original seat is getting pretty beat up (torn) on my X585 and I am overdue for a replacement. While at it I am also looking for what is out there for upgrade options. Mine is an early 2002 version so before they had the Special Edition with the arm rests and I think a suspension seat. I am 6'4" and about 225#. What I find is with the stock seat is I just bottom out whatever suspension there is in the seat base by sitting in it and I am riding on the frame. I have seen spring upgrades for other tractors (1 Series I think) but don't know that these bigger springs will fit my machine or if there are other options like this other than a complete replacement of the base. Recently I picked up a new dedicated mower (Z950R) so this will greatly reduce my seat time in the X585. That makes it harder to justify the more expensive options. While I don't store the X585 outside in the elements, that doesn't mean that the shop isn't occupied with a large project and it gets shuffled outside. This may happen more with the new machine in the mix. In fact both machines got shuffled outside for a bit yesterday and it rained a bit. Went to pull them in and got a wet butt as I forgot to flip them forward. Because of this I like being able to flip the seat forward to keep it dry if it rains a bit. So am I missing anything in my research? This is what I know about.

New replacement for what I have. It doesn't change the base at all so I gain nothing other than no more rips in the seat. I retain the ability to flip the seat forward to keep it dry if outside.
    OEM Seat

Similar non-Deere seat with higher back, would retain current suspension that does nothing.
    Non-Deere Seat

Same seat as above with armrests.
    Arm Rest Seat

For options that would help my suspension issues.

Replace the stock suspension. Not sure if it will help at all though.
    OEM Suspension

John Deere Suspension Seat. It is spendy. I think this is the same seat on the Special Edition versions of the X585. Though if I am looking at a new suspension for my existing seat and a new seat it isn't that much more. I don't think the seat flips forward so it will get wet in the rain. John Deere Suspension Seat

There is a cheaper version of the John Deere Seat sold at Northern Tool. Same limitations as above, I think I lose the ability to flip the seat forward. It is all black so no signature yellow JD Seat but I could get one of those John Deere seat covers for it with the savings over the OEM suspension seat.
    Nothern Tool Seat

For other options on the suspension I could take a page from the ZTrak discussion on adding suspension. I could fabricate a bracket to mount an OEM seat like I have today or a version of it with arm rests. This would retain the flip forward option. A concern I have is that I will need to retain the ability to slide the seat forward/back because I need to move it all the way forward to gain access to the Hydraulic level dipstick/fill port. In that position the seat is too far forward for my lanky self to sit in the operator seat so then it needs to get moved back to a position where I can operate the machine.

There is this base which would add better springs and maybe a OEM seat like I have today to it.
    Low Profile Suspension

Go all out with an air suspension base and an OEM Seat.
    Puffer Air Suspension

What are your thoughts? Am I missing anything.

EDIT: Looks like the OEM suspension seat and Nothern Tool seat can be made to tilt. Also you can see the dip stick/fill point for the Hydraulic Fluid which is a factor with any decision.
    MTF Link

Here is the seat cover that I could put on the Nothern Tool option. Seat Cover
    Last edited by sennister; 01-31-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

mjncad (02-26-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    The Michigan seat and a John Deere decal on the back. I really like the seat.
    This decal is very nice, but you could choose from quite a few.

John Deere Decals at Discount Prices

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveontheridge View Post
    The Michigan seat and a John Deere decal on the back. I really like the seat.
    This decal is very nice, but you could choose from quite a few.

John Deere Decals at Discount Prices
    Yeah that is kind of what I was leaning toward. I have never sat in one but it is nearly identical to the optional "Fully Adjustable Suspension Seat with Armrests" Seat that is on my Z950R.

Which looks very much like the Michigan vs John Deere Seat. I don't have much for seat time in it yet but so far it is pretty nice. I agree that I could just slap a John Deere sticker on the back. Not that I care about that all that much. Mainly looking at functionality (access to hydraulic fluid fill and tilt for if outside).
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    My X540 came with the tall arm rest seat. Best tractor seat I ever sat in. Not sure if it will bolt right on your tractor.
    The JD special edition seat is the way I would go on your machine. I'm pretty sure it will also flip forward to keep it dry. Spend the extra if you can afford it. Your but is not getting any younger. Lol
    Plus the black seat is going to look like hell
    Had a JD seat cover for my L108. Plowing mostly flat roads it worked ok but cutting grass on hills I slid all over the place. It did help sell the tractor seeing the seat was torn in 2 spots.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    My X540 came with the tall arm rest seat. Best tractor seat I ever sat in. Not sure if it will bolt right on your tractor.
    The JD special edition seat is the way I would go on your machine. I'm pretty sure it will also flip forward to keep it dry. Spend the extra if you can afford it. Your but is not getting any younger. Lol
    Plus the black seat is going to look like hell
    Had a JD seat cover for my L108. Plowing mostly flat roads it worked ok but cutting grass on hills I slid all over the place. It did help sell the tractor seeing the seat was torn in 2 spots.
    The yellow one will run me $665 after the discount. That is with adding the base which allows flipping the seat forward a bit. The Black Michigan seat will be $499 after tax and the base parts.

So is it worth $166 for a yellow vinyl? I don't know it is hard to justify that much of additional cost for something cosmetic. If it was a functional difference it would be an easier decision. Honestly I don't know that I would mess with the cover. It doesn't matter that much to me.

Most of the use on the machine is going to be plowing a pretty flat driveway in the winter and FEL work around the yard in the summer. I would guess I will be doing maybe 20 hrs a year on it. The bulk of my hours comes from mowing which will be on the new machine.

Here is a pic of one on a X585 that someone else posted.

Last edited by sennister; 01-31-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    I like mine added the armrest last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0373.JPG  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks

Cool

Here is the seat I just got added to my new x585. The seller of my tractor found it at 45% off JD list and installed it for me. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I just bought the machine on Jan 30th and am finally getting it delivered either this weekend or next. It replaces an L118 that sold very cheap to a family member with a lot that is better suited for its use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x585 seat.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	136633
    BigJim55 and romcjr like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Sennister; what type of seat did u finally install on ur x585.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    Sennister; what type of seat did u finally install on ur x585.
    I still haven't done anything. It is one of those things where out of sight out of mind. I think about it when I go out and plow but we haven't gotten any snow in a while and temps are projected to be in the 50s tomorrow. I also haven't been out in the shop working on any projects as I have been working on wrapping up a bathroom remodel project in the house. So that makes it even more out of sight out of mind.

Just this week I got a small sale catalog in the mail from Northern Tool and thought about it again. They are opening a new store not too far from me and I got a few coupons to celebrate the new store opening as well as some stuff on sale. I forget what all the coupons were for but one was something like $20 off a $100 or more purchase. So I could use that toward the Northern Tool black suspension seat.

I keep going back and forth on just getting the cheaper seat and the full suspension one. Partly I really wonder how much seat time I will have now that I got a new mower. Maybe I can come up with some beefier springs to help out the current suspension. If I was still going to still be mowing on the X585, it would be easier to justify the cost of the suspension options.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements