• 1 Post By SandR
  • 1 Post By Brett_M

Thread: X750 Material Collection System

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-08-2016 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks

X750 Material Collection System

I am getting close to purchase of a x750 with 60" HC deck. We want a large capacity bagger (6-7 acres) that is easy to take on and off. We have ruled out the bagger systems.

MC519 is a 19 bushel cart with the powerflow system. Is blower strong enough to push material to cart? What is complexity of blower removal? Does the weight of the blower require releveling of the deck?

MC542 requires separate cart purchase and no powerflow. The material flow is created by a gas motor mounted on the tongue of the trailer and it therefore pulls material from the deck. Capacity is 42 bushels. Is blower strong enough to pull material up chute and in to cart? Is the chute removal from deck straightforward and easier than the Powerflow? Does deck require leveling after taking on or off? What motor is used as the blower?

My DW does most of the mowing and will install/remove collection systems. The big difference is 519 May be more complex and 542 may be easier to install but there is a gas motor and capacity. The salesmen I have talked to at 3 dealerships say they have never sold either of these. Thanks
    farmall400 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-01-2016 @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SandR View Post
    I am getting close to purchase of a x750 with 60" HC deck. We want a large capacity bagger (6-7 acres) that is easy to take on and off. We have ruled out the bagger systems.

MC519 is a 19 bushel cart with the powerflow system. Is blower strong enough to push material to cart? What is complexity of blower removal? Does the weight of the blower require releveling of the deck?

MC542 requires separate cart purchase and no powerflow. The material flow is created by a gas motor mounted on the tongue of the trailer and it therefore pulls material from the deck. Capacity is 42 bushels. Is blower strong enough to pull material up chute and in to cart? Is the chute removal from deck straightforward and easier than the Powerflow? Does deck require leveling after taking on or off? What motor is used as the blower?

My DW does most of the mowing and will install/remove collection systems. The big difference is 519 May be more complex and 542 may be easier to install but there is a gas motor and capacity. The salesmen I have talked to at 3 dealerships say they have never sold either of these. Thanks
    SandR,

Not knowing where you are located, but as a Sales Representative for Mutton Power Equipment, I can tell you first hand the MC519 is no longer available unless your local dealer has one left in stock or you get one through a dealer transfer. I was able to get one through transfer from another local dealer and installed a MC519 on my customers John Deere X738. The cart itself is what I could consider a quick disconnect and is very easy to remove on and off the machine. The power flow system is strong enough to push the material to the cart. Removing the blower on and off the mower deck is not complex at all. It has separate lever to take the belt tension off the pulley. From there remove the discharge chute going to the cart and you can easily remove the blower. Should take you roughly 3 to 4 minutes. Due to the weight of the blower, the mower deck height should be checked once installed and re-leveled if necessary.

I have had absolutely no experience with MC542, however, I can tell you that if you are looking to go that route where the cart has a separate motor where no power flow is required I would look at Trac-Vac units over the John Deere MC542. We sell numerous Trac-Vac units a year and have had great success with them.

-Brett
    Last edited by Brett_M; 02-11-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    RandyM likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Now I have a X585 but it is basically the same machine in these terms. My machine is a 2002 so we have had it for about 13 years. I have it listed that we have a powerflow with the MC519 but I know my 519 looks a little different than the others people have. Maybe it is an older version. As far as I know it is only cosmetic. The pics I have seen are more of a boxy looking cart. In either case it has two caster style wheels and it just connected to the tractor with two pins. Our powerflow head is the same one that is used in current models where it is powered off a belt connected to an extra pulley on the right spindle. We cut 2.5 acres though we have a neighbor (1.25 acres) that we often help out as well. Normally it is only used for leaf collection though if the grass is really long because we were out of town, then I will use it for grass clippings. When I was a kid (and my dad still has it today) but I used a 317 with a pony motor driven vac system which blew the leaves into a much larger wagon style trailer. So on to your questions and thoughts.

X585 with powerflow.

Attaching and removing. The cart is a bit awkward as it is on two casters so connecting it to the tractor can be a bit of a wrestling match as the wheels flop around. Keep it level and it is easier. Roll it over to the tractor and there are two pins to mount it in place. My machine doesn't have click-n-go so that might make it easier. I keep my pins in the tool box in the fender. The powerflow isn't that heavy. I don't know 20-30lbs maybe. I'm not good at guessing it and the process is hard to describe. There is a bar (arm) that slips into a bracket on the front edge of the mower discharge chute opening. Once it is in there it pivots back and another post goes into a hole on the deck at the back of the opening. Then slip the belt over the drive pulley on the spindle and flip the tension lever. That is it. No bolts, screws and it takes a minute to mount it. The belt tension holds it in place. Then slide the chute into the cart and then connect it to the powerflow securing it with what looks like a bungee hook and you are ready to start collecting. I can go from not collecting to collecting or back in a couple minutes. My wife could do it without much problem. I have never needed to re-level the deck. Though I am not maintaining a Baseball field for the MN Twins either.

The good: Being a relatively short cart on casters, you don't notice it is back there. As you go around trees it is short enough that I can turn as sharp as the machine can and it won't clip anything. No having to know how to back up a trailer if you are not skilled at that I guess. I have never had it clog up on me while mowing. The chute is large enough and as long as you are running high enough RPM it has plenty of suction power. The vertical design doesn't add a lot of width to the overall machine width. This is nice for going around trees. AS far as complexity, it really is quite simple. Initial setup would be a bit more complex as there are some brackets that would need to be added to the deck, the pulley on the spindle, cut the chute to length but all this is one time setup that the dealer would likely do unless you had to order from somewhere else. If that is the case I don't think it is hard and only initial setup.

The bad: The powerflow housing is all plastic. We have already replaced the housing twice and I need to do it again. It simply wears through the more you use it. I wish it was steel but that would add to the weight. They are not cheap. I want to say over $200 each time it wears out and a PITA to replace. Keep in mind we use it 1-2 times in the fall and 1 time in the spring cleaning up the yard which is half the size of yours. I don't know if we are picking up a lot of dirt or it is dragging too much but longevity of the housing is disappointing. When it comes to picking up leaves, it doesn't take much to be full. I wish we had more capacity or a quicker means to dump. If you collect when they are really dry they grind up to powder and it is better but can you say dusty operation... Grass capacity is pretty good. I didn't use it for that very often. Also when going down into the ditch I would often find the chute pops out of the cart. Then I am blowing everything all over the place. There is a little window in the cart to see when it is open but can't see through it so it is useless. That is the only time I clog up. I fill the cart too full then when I dump I have to clean out the chute as well. Not a big deal but another step.

Tractor with pony motor: Really the only positive here is that it holds so much more. It is harder to mount the motor and another motor to maintain. Also it is an older unit so it only has about 6" collection tubes. These clog up if you don't have all your sticks picked up ahead of time. Though that could partly be due to the ribbed design of the tubes vs the square tube designed on the powerflow. The sticks can get caught in the ribs. It has plenty of power but the motors don't last forever. He has been through an engine or two on it. He has had it though since 1980 or so. Will my wife be able to run it? Probably, my sister did from what I remember growing up. Would she be able to mount it? NO not the motor. Also the collection chute that connects to the deck is bolted on. So not a tool-less process by any means. Probably takes a good 30-60 minutes to change back and forth but it depends on the system. I should add that on his system the motor was hard mounted to the tractor and the cart to the motor. The motor was not on the tongue of the cart. This made the trailer more useful for other tasks.

We were looking at a new tractor and I didn't like how all the machines have baggers. It would be great if I bagged the stuff and put it at the curb for pickup or had to put it in a trailer to haul away. However I have a big compost area so I dump everything in the back yard and use the FEL to turn it and make dirt. I didn't want something that I would have to wrestle with. I thought about getting a new X739 but I couldn't use my FEL on it. So I would have to keep the X585 for that and I wasn't gaining anything. Thought about the 1 series but didn't think I could get my cart to work with it and I didn't want the bags. I didn't want to mess with a pony motor system. So I went Ztrak and kept my X585. It would be nice to have a bigger machine with more capacity on the FEL but I don't need it.

Powerflow on the Ztrak is different but it is a commercial mower not a residential unit. Now while I have the machine I got it a month ago and I can't use it yet as we have a foot of snow on the ground. The impeller runs horizontally in the powerflow. So it adds over a foot in the width of my 60" deck. Might be interesting with my trees but I have a chain saw. The housing is pretty much all steel. At least where the impeller is so I like that. There is a plastic diverter that kicks up the material into the impeller as it comes out the deck that is plastic but at $80 it is cheaper and much easier (8 bolts) to replace. Might even be able to fabricate a metal replacement. We will see if it is an issue. Being pretty much all steel construction it is much heavier. While it attaches kind of the same there is a bolt that secures it to the deck that the home version doesn't have. Rather than a smooth square chute like on the X585 it uses a ribbed hose. I don't know if it will clog but at 12" or so it should be fine. While it is smaller meaning more trips to dump, it is dump from seat so just back up and flip the lever. Since it is physically attached to the machine with no casters, no more disconnects while going down in the ditch. Though it is a zero turn so I am going to have to pay attention to not clip a tree. As for power, I should be fine but time will tell. I am not worried about it at all. Now the powerflow head is much heavier as I mentioned. I would say at least double the weight compared to the residential version. I think I read 70lbs. Also while it is a 60" deck though the 7-iron pro, the installation instructions don't mention having to re-level. The machines are different though so maybe the deck hangers are more robust. I know my deck will be heavier. It does mention that if you have a Z915B or Z9xxM that you are supposed to adjust the spring tension for the deck lift assist springs. This counter acts the additional weight of the powerflow head on the deck because it is a foot actuated lift system. Does that mean when you take it off you should dial back the tension? I would imagine so. This is why I went with the "R" on my Z950R. While some people don't like the hydraulic deck lift as it is harder to feather the deck over an obstacle, I haven't needed to do that on my X585 so why would I now? It also doesn't mention adjusting the deck assist lift springs.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Thanks
    On my X739 with a 54" deck it takes 2 full turns of the right side deck adjusting screw to return it level after removing the power flow, takes maybe 1 minute if the tool is handy.

The 60" deck may be slightly different but once you know the number of turns its very simple.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks

X750 Material Collection System

We have used the MC542 collection system for three years with the 2305 and now also the X590. Over 40 loads of leaves and garden/lawn debris annually are taken from three acres of large trees, lawn and gardens. The Briggs 9 HP motor drives a steel impeller that has excellent suction to draw debris from the mower deck; also it works great on its own picking up leaves, twigs, etc. from the gardens just using the eight inch hose like a home vacuum cleaner. Buy the additional attachment from Deere for this as it gives you more maneuverability and safety. It saves a lot of raking amongst shrubs.
    The only item to watch carefully is not to completely fill the 42 cubic feet as it becomes hard to lift the hatch. Experience watching the load build up easily keep this in check.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    After finding a PF blower and chute for the x595,this spring I will be making a top for the 18 cart.Flex hose will go from the chute to the cover.Found this site for flex hose. Leaf Vacuum Hose | Lawn Vacuum Hose | Mulch Hose
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #7
    dwk

Last Online
    11-23-2016 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

Mc519

I have had a MC519 collection system for 15 years. I cut 5.5 acres twice a week and this unit runs flawlessly. The power flow that attaches to the mower deck is run by a belt, keep up the rpm and in most cases the chute will not plug, but when it does, easy to remedy, take the chute off and emty it. Gotta watch the reminder gauge. The power flow rotor will muclh up tree branches to approx 1/2" dia and does a fantastic job with leaves as it is a large 14 bu bagger. You can empty the cart with the pull of a handle and lift the front of the cart effortlessly, depending on physical stature of course. I couldn't be with out it. It is a little cumbersome for install and removal.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-08-2016 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks dwk. We are enjoying the bagger. It is cumbersome for the DW to empty but she gets it emptied. It does very well with new blades. I wonder how the blades will do once they once they get some wear.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    The bad: The powerflow housing is all plastic. We have already replaced the housing twice and I need to do it again. It simply wears through the more you use it. I wish it was steel but that would add to the weight. They are not cheap. I want to say over $200 each time it wears out and a PITA to replace. Keep in mind we use it 1-2 times in the fall and 1 time in the spring cleaning up the yard which is half the size of yours. I don't know if we are picking up a lot of dirt or it is dragging too much but longevity of the housing is disappointing. When it comes to picking up leaves, it doesn't take much to be full. I wish we had more capacity or a quicker means to dump. If you collect when they are really dry they grind up to powder and it is better but can you say dusty operation... Grass capacity is pretty good. I didn't use it for that very often. Also when going down into the ditch I would often find the chute pops out of the cart. Then I am blowing everything all over the place. There is a little window in the cart to see when it is open but can't see through it so it is useless. That is the only time I clog up. I fill the cart too full then when I dump I have to clean out the chute as well. Not a big deal but another step.

Sennister,
    Some PF have wear bars on the bottom.For the older 48/54 like I have for my 345 (m164674) but would have to add it as mine doesn't have it.For my 62" PF for the X595 they don't offer but the 60"hc decks they show 2 metal straps (TCU15538BLE) which attach with 6mm bolts. Might be something to look into even if you buy some metal and bolt it on it would help with your wear problem.
    Last edited by TJR345; 03-28-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post

Sennister,
    Some PF have wear bars on the bottom.For the older 48/54 like I have for my 345 (m164674) but would have to add it as mine doesn't have it.For my 62" PF for the X595 they don't offer but the 60"hc decks they show 2 metal straps (TCU15538BLE) which attach with 6mm bolts. Might be something to look into even if you buy some metal and bolt it on it would help with your wear problem.
    I think wear on the ground is part of the issue and have considered a wear bar/plate of sort. However it also will wear from the inside as well. Granted the bottom is where I see most of the problems because it is wearing from both sides.

However I found a better (though much more expensive) option to fix my wear issues. I bought one of these:

Which is attached to this.

So the X585 is officially retired from all mowing and leaf collection duties and will live out its life (as long as I own it) as a dedicated FEL machine or running the box grader in the warmer months and snow removal machine in the winter. Though I did already use it this spring with the thatcher as I haven't come up with a way to mount that to the Z950R yet. But I went over the yard with that and then used the Ztrak to puck up everything. Now the commercial 7 Iron version is mostly steel construction. It is all steel at the impeller but there is a plastic deflector on the bottom which I may still see the wear issues with. I guess time will tell but in looking at it, it is much easier to replace as it just bolts to the bottom and is much cheaper at about $80.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements