Help with a D100

Thread: Help with a D100

1. Top | #1
    KCB

Last Online
    07-22-2012 @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

Help with a D100

I recently acquired a slightly used (less than 10hrs) D100. I bought a mulch cover to use and when trying to install it found that the design was such that the rear mounting clip would dig into the side of the mower deck and in a short time scratch the paint off, which would soon lead to rusting (see attached pic). After going round and round unsatisfactorily with the John Deere Customer Contact Center I sent a letter to the president of John Deere with a pic and a description of the issue.

It's now been nearly a month with no response from JD, so I went looking here on the internet, found this site and thought I'd see what you folks might think. Now, I'll be honest...I have a couple of solutions: the first one I have used is to slide a small shim between the clip and the side of the mower deck. The second was suggested by the local JD dealer, which is to cut the end off the clip.
    That didn't work. While it is a lousy design, the clip is hard as hell. 20 minutes of sawing away with a hacksaw had little to no effect.

I guess what gets my goat is the fact that apparently nobody looked at this installation and thought "Gee, that's going to gouge the mower deck. We need to do this differently." We like to run our mouth in this country about "America's #1" and then we do work like this. It's really disappointing.

So...thanks for listening to my rant. I understand that this is not a huge deal, but it just irks me that something so minor could just be ignored. Like, "who cares what the customer thinks. Just take his money and run." Anyway, if anyone can explain why this thing was made this way and why it's a good idea, I'm all ears.

KCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John Deere D100 mower deck 2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Not installed correctly. Go to your dealer and get the installation instructions.

4. Top | #3
    KCB

Last Online
    Thanks

Sorry XCOPTERDOC...

Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Not installed correctly. Go to your dealer and get the installation instructions.
    Have gone to the dealer and had them show me how they installed it. This is it!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think that would be a concern as the deck will see multiple scratches, etc. That's how a lot of mulch covers are on lawn tractors.

Luckily the OM is still available online from Deere for the D100. I pulled out the install instructions from the manual and placed them in a separate pdf file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry dude but look at the instructions that came with the kit. It shows the strap as having a twist so that the end of the hook points to the outside. In other words, hook up the front strap,then at the rear start the hook at the inside and snap it completely thru the slot. That way the end wont rub on the deck.
    And if your dealer put it on that way.. then whoever did is an idiot.

8. Top | #6
    KCB

Last Online
    Thanks

Xcopterdoc

Unfortunately the photos that came with my kit, as well as the ones in the owners manual, detailing the installation of the mulch cover are not very clear...even with a magnifying glass. That said, although I thought I had tried to install the clip from the inside out and it hadn't worked, I tried it again and got it through. However, the opposite side of the clip now rubs against the side of the mower deck. It isn't the pointy end, but metal to metal with vibration will give you abrasion. It's gonna happen. I still contend it's a lousy design. At the very least, installing it with the pointy end in, but shorter would solve the problem.

At any rate, thanks for the input. It was more than JD was willing to do.

KCB

9. Top | #7
    KCB

Last Online
    Thanks

Final thought...

I have a brother who is an engineer. After I explained this situation to him,
    he sent me copies of a website that posts examples of what they call "Made
    by Monkeys." Think I'll submit this.

KCB

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-04-2013 @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    I had to do the same thing with my D100. It is a little flaw, but I can work with it. I wrapped the end with electrical tape, and shimmed it with a piece of wood. That will be good enough to protect the paint....so I'm over it.
    "Always Seen Driving Green."

2012 D100

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements