I recently acquired a slightly used (less than 10hrs) D100. I bought a mulch cover to use and when trying to install it found that the design was such that the rear mounting clip would dig into the side of the mower deck and in a short time scratch the paint off, which would soon lead to rusting (see attached pic). After going round and round unsatisfactorily with the John Deere Customer Contact Center I sent a letter to the president of John Deere with a pic and a description of the issue.
It's now been nearly a month with no response from JD, so I went looking here on the internet, found this site and thought I'd see what you folks might think. Now, I'll be honest...I have a couple of solutions: the first one I have used is to slide a small shim between the clip and the side of the mower deck. The second was suggested by the local JD dealer, which is to cut the end off the clip.
That didn't work. While it is a lousy design, the clip is hard as hell. 20 minutes of sawing away with a hacksaw had little to no effect.
I guess what gets my goat is the fact that apparently nobody looked at this installation and thought "Gee, that's going to gouge the mower deck. We need to do this differently." We like to run our mouth in this country about "America's #1" and then we do work like this. It's really disappointing.
So...thanks for listening to my rant. I understand that this is not a huge deal, but it just irks me that something so minor could just be ignored. Like, "who cares what the customer thinks. Just take his money and run." Anyway, if anyone can explain why this thing was made this way and why it's a good idea, I'm all ears.