Now That Is REAL Dumb!!!!

Thread: Now That Is REAL Dumb!!!!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks

Now That Is REAL Dumb!!!!

I bought a 425 GT for $400 with a bad plastic cam gear. I am rebuilding the engine which parts will cost around $350. So I check eBay to see if there are any parts I need. Then I found the dumbest thing I have ever seen. A dealer has listed a used 425 PLASTIC CAM GEAR for $20. A new steel cam gear is costing me $165 and worth every penney. Only a moron would replace a bad cam gear with another used plastic one.

I guess PT Barnum was right. A sucker will buy it to save some money.

GotDeeres
    [

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotdeeres For This Useful Post:

RRMCCABE (07-27-2012), T-Mo (07-27-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,468 Posts
    eBay is full of dumb people, both sellers and buyers
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Kenny,

Yeah that is true. There is a guy who sells NEW JD Kawasaki keys for $20 a pair with free shipping. Last time I bought some keys from my dealer, I believe they were less than $5 a pair. I guess the dumb seller would not be listing the keys unless there were people dumb enough to buy them.

GotDeeres
    [

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    I would be cautious about name calling. Ebay has at the present time a fee structure that takes about 10% if the item sells and very little if any for a listing that doesn't sell. I havn't sold anything on there for years but when I did there was an insertion fee that kind of put a damper on the nothing ventured, nothing gained type of logic.

What about the company that installed that engine with the plastic gear in the first place? Got any adjetives for them? You think that is bad totally recalled parts get on ebay when the replacements are installed and can essentially ruin the whole item, that is why they were recalled. Sometimes these things don't come standard so unless you wander around the proper places the buyer just thinks they are going to get a bit more features by purchacing the item.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    First, not many buyers check their dealer to find out, 1. if the part is still available 2. the dealer price. Most ebay sellers are counting on the premise that the buyers will take their word that a part is NLA and that the buyer won't check to see what a new part will cost from the dealer.

Second, Kawasaki is the engine maker and has been putting plastic cam gears in their engines for decades. They're not the only engine maker that does this. Kohler puts a lot of plastic parts in their Courage engine line. And Kawasaki corrected the problem in the late 90s with putting steel cam gears in new engines and offering a steel cam gear kit. Also, even though 500 hours is about the time the plastic cam gear breaks, there are many, many engines that got well over 1000 hours before breaking, if then.

George,
    At least you won't be taken in from this ebay seller. Thanks, for bringing this to light here.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 2,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fran...k. View Post
    I would be cautious about name calling. Ebay has at the present time a fee structure that takes about 10% if the item sells and very little if any for a listing that doesn't sell. I havn't sold anything on there for years but when I did there was an insertion fee that kind of put a damper on the nothing ventured, nothing gained type of logic.

What about the company that installed that engine with the plastic gear in the first place? Got any adjetives for them? You think that is bad totally recalled parts get on ebay when the replacements are installed and can essentially ruin the whole item, that is why they were recalled. Sometimes these things don't come standard so unless you wander around the proper places the buyer just thinks they are going to get a bit more features by purchacing the item.
    Frank, Since I am the one the started the "name calling" I will apologize. I guess the term or name I should have used is "mis-informed", is that better?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, Trac-Vac 854 (for sale) and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,887 Times in 2,864 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Frank, Since I am the one the started the "name calling" I will apologize. I guess the term or name I should have used is "mis-informed", is that better?
    Kenny, What the heck is wrong with you anyway?
    If I see something on ebay I want I have my daughter buy it for me, I will never look like a.....................
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Frank,

I buy and sell on eBay all the time and the quality of sellers has greatly increased over the past few years. The buyer now has Buyer Protection which is great asset in case there is a problem with the purchase. My comment has nothing to do with eBay, but a "dealer" who is selling a USED part that is known to be defective. Kawasaki replaced the plastic cam with a steel version in mid 1998, but there was NEVER a recall. Installing a used plastic version would cost the buyer another big repair bill. Most of the camgear failures happened (800-1200 hours) AFTER the warranty expired. The 425 engine I am repairing had a bad camgear which destroyed the oil pump gear, water pump gear and completely destroyed the governor. The engine looked like a plastic hand grenade exploded in it.

Kawasaki has made high quality engines for John Deere for many years and continues to have their engines in the more expensive equipment. I have worked for two JD dealerships and some of them actually did warranty part or all of the repair even though John Deere/Kawasaki did not after the warranty period expired. John Deere went through an earlier major engine problem with the Kohler engines in the 317 GT's. That is why some dealers bit the bullet and did some or all of the warranty work. Remember that a new 425 was around $10,000 before adding a 3 PT hitch, front blade, snowblower, $$ etc.

My point is that eBay is now holding sellers to VERY high standards. That is why my selling and buying feedback is 100% positive. As a buyer, I assume that the product I am buying is of good quality and I will not sell a part that I do not believe is a good product; however, it irks me when I see a USED part listed for more than a NEW JD part would cost. This is where the phrase "dumb buyer applies" .

I am going to watch this listing to see if it does sell.

Caveat Emptor (Latin for "Let the buyer beware").

Kenny,

I like Mis-Informed rather than dumb. More politically correct.
    I do have a couple other possibilities, but the naughty word filter would catch them.

T-Mo,

I am just stirring the pot. Yesterday I placed an order for $874 worth of parts from my JD dealer. I asked the parts manager if he would match the prices I could get on-line. He did not match the price , HE BEAT IT!!

Go Greensouth!!

GotDeeres
    Last edited by gotdeeres; 07-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    [

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements