L111 - fuel filter - how much gas should I see in it?

Thread: L111 - fuel filter - how much gas should I see in it?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-09-2012 @ 09:58 AM
    Thanks

L111 - fuel filter - how much gas should I see in it?

So when I mow my lawn and ride up a small hill the mower stalls. If I push it around and head downhill it starts and runs fine. I replaced the fuel filter because I do not see much fuel flowing through it. Does not appear much better.

I then replaced the vacuum assisted fuel pump but I still do not see much fuel actually in the clear housing of the filter. It seems to trickle in from the fuel tank.

Should the clear, plastic housed filter be full or should it only trickle in as needed?

Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    It should be full. Can you try to loosen the fuel cap and see if that helps. Sometimes the vent plugs. Otherwise, you probaby have a restriction in the fuel line to the tank or a plugged screen in the tank. You might try to blow a bit of air from the filter back to the tank, gently to see if there is a restriction.

Brian

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-09-2012 @ 09:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It should be full. Can you try to loosen the fuel cap and see if that helps. Sometimes the vent plugs. Otherwise, you probaby have a restriction in the fuel line to the tank or a plugged screen in the tank. You might try to blow a bit of air from the filter back to the tank, gently to see if there is a restriction.
    Thanks Brian. I did as you suggested and found the fuel cap breather hole clogged. I guess a vapor lock might have occurred. I also passed some air from the fuel filter back to the tank. I started and ran it for an hour doing the yard and it never stalled. I kept an eye on the fuel filter housing and it never filled up. There was barely a trickle from the tank and only the lower portion of the filter housing had gas in it. You can see however that the cloth (?) filter itself was in fact full of fuel the entire time. Since the carb would never use that much fuel I suppose that as long as the paper filter itself is full and there is a trickle into the plastic housing then enough is getting to the carb.

I'd love to hear from any home tractor owners who might go try theirs to see if theirs actually fills up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,244 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Don't sweat the fact it's not totally full. I have seen several not full, including my own equipment. Over time the air will go away.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-20-2015 @ 12:26 PM
    Thanks
    camphill ,

When a filter is replaced they will not appear to be full of gas, but the gas is flowing through it. It seems to come into the bottom of the filter and go directly to the inside of the filter. As a filter starts to plug or get water in it, the filter fills up. I have changed a bushel of these filters and cannot explain why it does this, just that it does and that is nornal.

GotDeeres
    [

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-22-2015 @ 10:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by camphill View Post
    Thanks Brian. I did as you suggested and found the fuel cap breather hole clogged. I guess a vapor lock might have occurred. I also passed some air from the fuel filter back to the tank. I started and ran it for an hour doing the yard and it never stalled. I kept an eye on the fuel filter housing and it never filled up. There was barely a trickle from the tank and only the lower portion of the filter housing had gas in it. You can see however that the cloth (?) filter itself was in fact full of fuel the entire time. Since the carb would never use that much fuel I suppose that as long as the paper filter itself is full and there is a trickle into the plastic housing then enough is getting to the carb.

I'd love to hear from any home tractor owners who might go try theirs to see if theirs actually fills up.
    I thought the same thing when my gas captor clogged, I thought the filter was clogged or fuel pump was shot. It was the stupid gas cap vent.

On my LA115 my filter is 1/4 to 1/3 full and thought that was my issue as well. I think your good.

Don't crank down on the gas cap after fueling, just a snug turn.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements