Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 2016 Models - new electronic instrument display

1. Top | #1
    MJM

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

2016 Models - new electronic instrument display

The following text was from a John Deere Press release dated today: " John Deere has updated the popular Select Series™ and Signature Series™ tractor lines with new mower decks, improved instrument displays... All models have been updated with a new electronic instrument display. The automotive-style display is backlit for night visibility, and bright caution and stop lights will indicate an engaged PTO, disengaged park brake or incorrect start sequence. Once on the move, a tachometer helps homeowners mow at the optimum throttle setting for the best and quickest quality cut. When servicing is required, on-board diagnostics provide trained technicians with instant insights, saving time and money on repairs and maintenance."

Has anyone seen this new display with the Tachometer yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Might have to eat my words

Off the top of my head, I don't want all the electronics on my tractor. I don't want one more thing that requires a computer to find a loose wire or something that used to be simple to fix. The other issue is who actually owns the software running those things. That's in the courts now, I believe. I know the Tier 4 engines are computer controlled and I hate that but I'll have to be dragged down that road kicking and screaming.

Of course, if some dealer wants to give me a new fancy tractor with all electronics I'll take the chance of having to eat my words. Otherwise, when it's my cash I'll be looking for simple, solid and reliable. I can change a switch or light bulb but if a dead display means a $1,000 computer then it's no improvement for me.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    Has anyone seen this new display with the Tachometer yet?
    Here you go...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	142353
    TJR345 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Off the top of my head, I don't want all the electronics on my tractor. I don't want one more thing that requires a computer to find a loose wire or something that used to be simple to fix. The other issue is who actually owns the software running those things. That's in the courts now, I believe. I know the Tier 4 engines are computer controlled and I hate that but I'll have to be dragged down that road kicking and screaming.

Of course, if some dealer wants to give me a new fancy tractor with all electronics I'll take the chance of having to eat my words. Otherwise, when it's my cash I'll be looking for simple, solid and reliable. I can change a switch or light bulb but if a dead display means a $1,000 computer then it's no improvement for me.

Treefarmer
    I'm with you. As I reach the end of my warranty I think about that 1025r display and what it will take to bypass it the day it goes out. Don't want / need more electronics.
    Ffford7.3 likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Here you go...

Looks a little like the one on the Honda Pioneer just no tach.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Here you go...

What was this off? My bet is that this new fangled display, may fix the starting issues if on the 1 Series. It may also make elimination of the RIO much more difficult, if not impossible. I sure hope I am right on the former and very wrong on the later.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks
    X3,5,7's have the new displays. All of the safety interlocks will go thru the display. It's different, it's new, but I don't think it's a bad thing.
    The 1 series will keep the same display. No changes that I am aware of.
    The onboard diagnostics are helpful. Crank time will be cut off to allow for starter cooling. And there is a time out feature if you happen to leave the key on.
    It's a very very basic system. No software updates or reflashes on the X series stuff.
    Not sure what a new display would cost. But with the long warranty periods I wouldn't be concerned.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, 56FordGuy and johnH123 like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

johnH123 (03-06-2016)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post

Treefarmer
    The other day I was in the grocery store and two guys who are probably in their early thirties were comparing their new cars and the remote starting capabilities. Finally, one guy says the other one, "Well, I can use my phone to start my car."

I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer so I just had to ask, "Why does anyone need to be able to start their cars with their smartphone?" The response was quite interesting. The various answers I received had NOTHING to do with WHY someone "NEEDS" to use their smartphone to start their car, but instead, it was based upon some desire to make the smart phone's do EVERYTHING, whether it is practical or not.

The one guy then says "I am working on a program right now at Whirlpool where our appliances are all going to start to communicate with your smartphone." As if I didn't think starting your car with your smartphone was foolish enough, now we are going to have our refrigerator and stove / ovens communicate with our phones. So I asked the guy to provide me an example of how this technology would be used and useful.

His response was "Well, let's say you are going to cook something in the oven when you get home. This way, you can remotely start your oven and it will be ready at the cooking temperature when you arrive home so you won't have to wait for it to warm up." Seriously? So I asked him, "would this be something you would do while on your way home"? He enthusiastically replied "Well, absolutely." But what if you are driving on your way home, shouldn't you pay attention to the road and what you are doing?" The guy looked at me like I was a total moron for suggesting that we need fewer distractions while driving, not MORE.

I couldn't help but ask, if the issue is the "waiting time" for the oven to warm up, why not make the time required for the oven to reach the temperature shorter? (as if one doesn't have other things to do like prepping the food, etc, while the oven is preheating). Clearly, such thoughts were very inconsistent with their end goal of having the phone control every aspect of our lives.........Sometimes I think in the pursuit of technology, common sense is being trampled..........

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The other day I was in the grocery store and two guys who are probably in their early thirties were comparing their new cars and the remote starting capabilities. Finally, one guy says the other one, "Well, I can use my phone to start my car."

I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer so I just had to ask, "Why does anyone need to be able to start their cars with their smartphone?" The response was quite interesting. The various answers I received had NOTHING to do with WHY someone "NEEDS" to use their smartphone to start their car, but instead, it was based upon some desire to make the smart phone's do EVERYTHING, whether it is practical or not.

The one guy then says "I am working on a program right now at Whirlpool where our appliances are all going to start to communicate with your smartphone." As if I didn't think starting your car with your smartphone was foolish enough, now we are going to have our refrigerator and stove / ovens communicate with our phones. So I asked the guy to provide me an example of how this technology would be used and useful.

His response was "Well, let's say you are going to cook something in the oven when you get home. This way, you can remotely start your oven and it will be ready at the cooking temperature when you arrive home so you won't have to wait for it to warm up." Seriously? So I asked him, "would this be something you would do while on your way home"? He enthusiastically replied "Well, absolutely." But what if you are driving on your way home, shouldn't you pay attention to the road and what you are doing?" The guy looked at me like I was a total moron for suggesting that we need fewer distractions while driving, not MORE.

I couldn't help but ask, if the issue is the "waiting time" for the oven to warm up, why not make the time required for the oven to reach the temperature shorter? (as if one doesn't have other things to do like prepping the food, etc, while the oven is preheating). Clearly, such thoughts were very inconsistent with their end goal of having the phone control every aspect of our lives.........Sometimes I think in the pursuit of technology, common sense is being trampled..........
    Through OnStar I can remotely start our truck. Is it needed? No. Is it nice in the winter to be able to remotely start the truck while sitting in a restaurant. Once the bill shows up, I start it and it is warm by the time the bill is paid and we get to the vehicle. Not really any different than remote start from the key fob but with much better range and I get a confirmation as to if it was successful or not.

The nice thing about this though is that it is a feature you can use or not. I get that not everyone likes to add technology but in this case you don't have to use it if you don't want to. In other cases it is more in the way and can cause issues.

I found it interesting when I was shopping for a Ztrak mower. While they do make one with an efi, the vast majority of the models, at least with John Deere, are all have air cooled engines with a carburetor. Even though I sprung for a R model with more features, it really is a pretty simple machine. While the engine with a carburetor will likely get worse numbers in fuel consumption, it is more reliable as long as it stays clean. In looking it over they are just a vertical shaft motor with a belt running to the drive units. Then a belt to run the deck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    UnionSchnauzer and johnH123 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    What was this off? My bet is that this new fangled display, may fix the starting issues if on the 1 Series. It may also make elimination of the RIO much more difficult, if not impossible. I sure hope I am right on the former and very wrong on the later.
    2016 X300 and X500 series
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast