Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 425 issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-29-2018 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks

425 issue

Good afternoon everyone!

I have a 1993 JD 425, 1320 hours, very clean, and well maintained machine. I have had a few issues with the machine that I have been able to resolve thanks to the help of everyone on this board, however I am having a peculiar issue with the tractor that I am looking for some help on.

Yesterday I was riding around the yard doing some spring cleanup when out of the blue the tractor just stopped running. I needed to choke the machine to get it running again, and had to adjust the choke up and down just to keep it running. it seemed to calm down so I continued riding around. about 10 minutes later it did the same thing, however this time it took about 5-6 times at turning the machine over in order to keep it running ( again with the choke on) until it calmed down.

Here are some stats-

-tractor fires each time it is turned over, just wont stay running
    -have to have the choke on even if its warm until it calms down

things I have replaced so far

TDM
    Igniter
    plugs
    battery
    starter/ relay ( another issue)
    seat switch

I am beginning to think that this is fuel related but before I remove the rear fender and get into the gas tank I wanted to throw this out here to anyone that might have another idea

thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonLaFlam425 View Post
    Good afternoon everyone!

I have a 1993 JD 425, 1320 hours, very clean, and well maintained machine. I have had a few issues with the machine that I have been able to resolve thanks to the help of everyone on this board, however I am having a peculiar issue with the tractor that I am looking for some help on.

Yesterday I was riding around the yard doing some spring cleanup when out of the blue the tractor just stopped running. I needed to choke the machine to get it running again, and had to adjust the choke up and down just to keep it running. it seemed to calm down so I continued riding around. about 10 minutes later it did the same thing, however this time it took about 5-6 times at turning the machine over in order to keep it running ( again with the choke on) until it calmed down.

Here are some stats-

-tractor fires each time it is turned over, just wont stay running
    -have to have the choke on even if its warm until it calms down

things I have replaced so far

TDM
    Igniter
    plugs
    battery
    starter/ relay ( another issue)
    seat switch

I am beginning to think that this is fuel related but before I remove the rear fender and get into the gas tank I wanted to throw this out here to anyone that might have another idea

thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Don
    Don, I have a 455 so I am very familiar with the chassis and the other operational issues other than mine is the diesel. I would bet money your problem is caused by the fuel system and I would start with the carburetor. If I recall, the 425 has a carb where the 445 is fuel injected.

If your tractor is requiring the choke to start and run, it is definitely fuel system related. The carb likely needs a rebuild and it isn't that difficult. I would order a new needle and seat and a carb gasket kit. Also replace the fuel filter which is in the inline fuel supply line from the tank. The float needs to be carefully checked to make sure it doesn't have a hole in it. Simply floating it in a glass of water will demonstrate if it has a leak plus when you remove it, it should NOT have any fuel in it or rattle like it has anything inside it.

I don't see any need to get involved in taking off the rear tub or fender assembly at this point. The fuel pump, when not functioning will generally either work or it won't. If you notice that the tractor bogs while on an uphill incline while running strong on a downhill decline, then I would say there is a possibility of a fuel pump issue but generally, when a pump goes, it goes and doesn't pump at all.

This isn't as imposing as it may sound, even if you have to pull the rear body tub assembly. After all, once you unbolt the seat assembly and unplug the tail lights, there are two bolts under the seat which secure the upper deck and then there are a total of 4 bolts between the two foot rest panels and the tub lifts right off. I have had mine off so many times I can do it in about 10 minutes tops. I would suggest that if the bolts in the footrest are at all rusty, which happens if you use your tractor in the winter for snow, then replace that hardware with stainless bolts and nuts from your local hardware for about $2.00 as it makes future tub removals so much easier.

If you have to use the choke for it to run, it is definitely a carb issue. Let me know if I can help. I may have the service manual for your tractor from which I can get information you may need. Feel free to send me a private message if I can help.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 03-14-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added NOT to clarify instructions
    etcallhome, DRobinson and TJR345 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks

Don, this is a blowup image on the carb on a 425

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Don,
    You will need the engine number off of the tractor motor to obtain the correct carb parts. The engine number is either a FD620D-ASo2 or BS02, or CS02, Ds02, ES02, GS02.

You will need to know exactly which engine number you have to get the right parts. Also I would suggest taking your tractor's serial number off of the frame tag on the right side of the frame, just ahead of your right foot rest.

Hope this helps. Here is the link to the specific page in the John Deere parts catalog.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Don
    I had the same issues with my 425 a couple years ago, basically did the same things you have tried, I ended up taking it to the JD dealer, they had it for a week and could not find anything wrong, I got it back and it did the same thing again. I took it back and they finally found what they claimed was a bad electrical connection on the left side of the engine. There is a electrical connection plug near the frame that they said they disconnected it and plugged it back together several times. So far I have not had an issue since.
    SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with all of the above, I would also include complete new fuel lines, and a pick up tube for the tank for your shopping list.
    SulleyBear likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    I would check the fuel pump itself. If the pump is similar to the 445 pump, they have a small piece of fuel line as part of the pump. If that piece of fuel line splits, which they are known to do, your fuel pressure to the carb will be all wacky. The tech manual give possible faulty fuel pump symptoms as engine cranks but does not start, erratic running, poor high speed operation. etc. This is a known issue with the 445. Don't know about the 425.
    xcopterdoc and SulleyBear like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red badger View Post
    Don
    I had the same issues with my 425 a couple years ago, basically did the same things you have tried, I ended up taking it to the JD dealer, they had it for a week and could not find anything wrong, I got it back and it did the same thing again. I took it back and they finally found what they claimed was a bad electrical connection on the left side of the engine. There is a electrical connection plug near the frame that they said they disconnected it and plugged it back together several times. So far I have not had an issue since.
    Techie1961 wrote a thread awhile ago about this electrical issue which Red Badger is describing. There was a connection within his actual plug where one of the spades had actually either broken off or simply pulled back out of the plug, causing all sorts of unpredictable weirdness. But the fact that it takes the choke to get it running again means it is likely leaning out, requiring less air and more fuel, which is why the choke is effective in getting it running.

It would be advisable to take the electrical plugs on each side of the radiator and carefully disconnect them, VERY CAREFULLY EXAMINE the internal components of the actual plug itself and make sure that somehow one of the connections isn't compromised. Inspect each plug with a light and then make sure to clean them and spray them with a electrical connector protection to prevent any corrosion and clean them up which may just solve your issue.

Techie1961 has a stable of 445 and 455 but I am not sure if he has any 425's but I would encourage you to search his postings in the Lawn and Garden tractor search tool.

Techie1961 has built himself a tremendous shop and he has lot's of pictures and even a couple of threads on the subject. So when you search his postings, make sure to stay in the Lawn and Garden tractor subsection or you will have much more stuff to search through. I encourage you to check out his historic barn to shop transformation when you have time. It is impressive.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-29-2018 @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks

Cool

All-

thank you for the advice. I will be checking out the electrical connections, fuel pump and system as well as giving the carb a good rebuild. I will post once all is completed

have a great day!

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    I would start with the simple things first, like the fuel lines. My 425 had a crack in the fuel line near the carb. It behaved as you described. I assume the cam has been replaced and they also replaced the governor gear? Wouldn't hurt to inspect all connectors and fill with dielectric grease. Though, I doubt your problem is electrical.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast